DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Right time to buy M3?

I hope you get a good one next time, and that the GNSS issues alsonget fixed for everyone else in the next update!
I wouldn’t hold your breath for GNSS issues to be fixed. They promised it once and it wasn’t the fix they promised. Now they promise it again but as of now they don’t have a fix.

It was painful to watch mate, I would be standing watching my RC Pro jump to 5... then 6... then 7.... then finally 8 after about 3min, but then it would flick back to 7, then back up to 8, then jump to 10...then back to 8... after a few min it would be at 11, my hopes of reaching a Home Point came crashing down yet again when it flicked back down to 9.

Absolutely horrendous and shocking !!!

There is no way (watch my language) this should be happening!

I have made the right decision, and I urge anyone with issues to set up a return.
Smart move to return it. Wait until the 3S.

Sorry those workarounds didn't also work for you. It's a great drone. Thanks for trying them. How long did it take for the 8 satellites initially, before the power cycling?
Yeah- people want “workarounds” on a flagship product whose GNSS has been worse than a Mini for 5 months.

Reactions: leebroath
I hope you get a good one next time, and that the GNSS issues alsonget fixed for everyone else in the next update!

I wouldn’t hold your breath for GNSS issues to be fixed. They promised it once and it wasn’t the fix they promised. Now they promise it again but as of now they don’t have a fix.

Yeah- people want “workarounds” on a flagship product whose GNSS has been worse than a Mini for 5 months.
Since it's a hardware issue the only fix is some manner of a good faith exchange program, or a new drone. You can't firmware a new GPS chip into existence... From the moment the first M3 was made available, this has been a complete farce. It really should give everyone pause into jumping onto the newest DJI product without proven performance that matches the marketing material. It's worse than cell phones at the moment.

Since it's a hardware issue the only fix is some manner of a good faith exchange program, or a new drone. You can't firmware a new GPS chip into existence... From the moment the first M3 was made available, this has been a complete farce. It really should give everyone pause into jumping onto the newest DJI product without proven performance that matches the marketing material. It's worse than cell phones at the moment.
I would agree that this is a hardware issue at this point. But there are always some people who will "champion" "workarounds" or when a feature is broken they will say "you don't need that feature anyway" and make excuses for the company. You know, to tell others what they should or shouldn't need when they've paid for those things. That's not presumptuous at all! /s

Reactions: leebroath
I would agree that this is a hardware issue at this point. But there are always some people who will "champion" "workarounds" or when a feature is broken they will say "you don't need that feature anyway" and make excuses for the company. You know, to tell others what they should or shouldn't need when they've paid for those things. That's not presumptuous at all! /s
I looked hard at the M3 when it was released and was so impressed that I bought a second Air 2S.

Reactions: Kbviper
I can't tell anyone else whether it is the right time to buy the Mavic 3 or not, only they can determine that, but for me it was the right time. I got mine at the beginning of March although I do wish I could have got the spring savings deal which amounts to almost a $200CAN discount, I am very happy with my purchase. My M3 acquires enough satellites in most locations I fly at to get a home point in less than 2 minutes and occasionally it will take around 3 minutes. As a stills photographer, I find the camera quality especially in low light to be fantastic combined with the ability to have complete manual control over all aspects of the camera (aperture, shutter, and ISO) and to be able to stay in the air long enough to compose my shot due to long battery life, to be features that have made the purchase worth it for me.

Is it a perfect drone, no, but no other drone I have owned has been perfect. I find the abrupt jerking when releasing the sticks even gently irritating and I do wish the drone would acquire satellites faster but I consider myself lucky as I don't seem to be having as much problems as some people are.

Chris

Patience, Grasshopper! If it isn't fixed in the next update for all, he can choose not to buy until it is, or buy and be in the vast majority for whom it already has been fixed. It's not a show stopper for most anyway! It only affects the very first flight.

Is the slow gps problem on cold or warm boot?
Cold boot only! Hence why the issue is overblown, as it only affects the very first flight, if any flight at all. The last update fixed even the first flight issue for most owners. There are also plenty of workarounds, for those that are still adversely affected, until it is fixed for all. Waiting a couple of extra minutes for a Home Point fix and then swapping batteries with a fully charged 100% battery also guarantees flying with a fully charged battery for maximum flight time. Use a 96% charged battery (the auto discharge remaining after 24 hours until 5 days when it auto discharges to 70%) for acquiring the HP, so you can to it off to 100%, too, as otherwise, it cannot be topped off, unless you have some other way of getting it to 95%.

Reactions: BlairAir
Cold boot only! Hence why the issue is overblown, as it only affects the very first flight, if any flight at all. The last update fixed even the first flight issue for most owners. There are also plenty of workarounds, for those that are still adversely affected, until it is fixed for all. Waiting a couple of extra minutes for a Home Point fix and then swapping batteries with a fully charged 100% battery also guarantees flying with a fully charged battery for maximum flight time. Use a 96% charged battery (the auto discharge remaining after 24 hours until 5 days when it auto discharges to 70%) for acquiring the HP, so you can to it off to 100%, too, as otherwise, it cannot be topped off, unless you have some other way of getting it to 95%.
If it's just the first cold boot then the M3 is most certainly not alone, at least half or more of the various Mavics have slow lock on cold boot.

If it's just the first cold boot then the M3 is most certainly not alone, at least half or more of the various Mavics have slow lock on cold boot.
No they don’t. And because one lackey for DJI doesn’t think it’s a big deal, some people have different use cases. Remember the “faster than ever GPS lock” promise?

As I’ve said before- there are always shills:
When a feature is broken they will say "you don't need that feature anyway" and make excuses for the company. You know, to tell others what they should or shouldn't need when they've paid for those things. That's not presumptuous at all! /s

Exactly! It's always slower on the cold boot than the warm boot. However, for those few still affected, after the last update that fixed it for most, on those unfortunate Mavic 3's, it can take longer than on most other DJI aircraft. Their joy is coming soon, too! In the meantime, they still have workarounds.

No they don’t. And because one lackey for DJI doesn’t think it’s a big deal, some people have different use cases. Remember the “faster than ever GPS lock” promise?

As I’ve said before- there are always shills:
When a feature is broken they will say "you don't need that feature anyway" and make excuses for the company. You know, to tell others what they should or shouldn't need when they've paid for those things. That's not presumptuous at all! /s
So now I'm a lackey for DJI and a shill? 🤣
Apparently, you haven't been following along on my 4119 other posts and 2425 likes over the last 6 years. For a 5 month member, you sure do throw a lot of rocks!

Seems I said to chill cricket and that’s what I meant.
Boy I hate being the bad guy all the time but when I say chill
thats what mean 👿
Just deleted a post. Guess he missed #55. No matter guys we are on a one way track.
71D3C3E1-397E-4F2E-9710-5B489AF4E686.jpeg

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Except the "fix" for GPS broke my RC Pro connection reliability. I never had disconnects as some were plagued with. Now I'm experiencing them constantly, at completely random times. Constantly being every battery every day every flight. All since last months V01.00.0600 firmware. And Airsense is 100% broken. Planes, helicopters fly directly over me, at any altitude and nothing. Not a peep.

Zero data, no visual, and no audible warnings. I've sent multiple videos and requests to DJI but apparently there is a gag order or something similar as they simply state "Airsense is there to keep you safe" and refuse to acknowledge its completely inoperative for many Mavic 3 owners.

Except the "fix" for GPS broke my RC Pro connection reliability. I never had disconnects as some were plagued with. Now I'm experiencing them constantly, at completely random times. Constantly being every battery every day every flight. All since last months V01.00.0600 firmware. And Airsense is 100% broken. Planes, helicopters fly directly over me, at any altitude and nothing. Not a peep.

Zero data, no visual, and no audible warnings. I've sent multiple videos and requests to DJI but apparently there is a gag order or something similar as they simply state "Airsense is there to keep you safe" and refuse to acknowledge its completely inoperative for many Mavic 3 owners.
Yes. Their cut-and-paste response is that it is “optimized” now.

In some 20 flights since the .0600 FW update, I have had a single RC-Pro app/OS crash 2 days ago, where the screen went black, resulting in "loss of signal" RTH, but the screen and FPV restored itself, with immediate reconnection to the drone within 15 seconds, allowing cancelation of RTH. A bit unnerving, but everything worked as it is supposed to during the one event. Unlike an iPad crash with the RC-N1, one does lose signal when the OS crashes on the RC-Pro. Can't speak to AirSense as I have no use for it, and turned it off shortly after trying it, since it cannot be relied upon more than my eyesight and my ears, especially since it can't pick up any aircraft that either don't have the required broadcasting transponder, or have it deliberately turned off. I also don't use OA. I find that it gets in the way more than it helps.

Last edited:
After testing the Mavic 3, which was then returned due to terrible GPS lock, I’m just SO glad I kept my Mavic 2 Pro before selling it.

In my world - paying over £3k+ for a device, then it really should work as intended without using workarounds! This hasn’t been a very successful release, for example Amazon UK still have Oct 2021 boxes since release date, which do rings alarm bells….it’s now end of April 2022.

As mentioned, I’m waiting till everything is ironed out, and if it does improve then I’ll review it, if not then it’s down to the Mavic 3S or 4 but won’t buy until I can see no issues, I may event just wait till the C-Marked drones are released.

After testing the Mavic 3, which was then returned due to terrible GPS lock, I’m just SO glad I kept my Mavic 2 Pro before selling it.

In my world - paying over £3k+ for a device, then it really should work as intended without using workarounds! This hasn’t been a very successful release, for example Amazon UK still have Oct 2021 boxes since release date, which do rings alarm bells….it’s now end of April 2022.

As mentioned, I’m waiting till everything is ironed out, and if it does improve then I’ll review it, if not then it’s down to the Mavic 3S or 4 but won’t buy until I can see no issues, I may event just wait till the C-Marked drones are released.
Waiting until everything is ironed out has always been the best advice for a completely happy DJI experience. Staying 6-12 months behind the cutting edge has its perks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz