DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro River & Ridge Running

Great video! OK, I have to know where you were positioned in the mountain stream video in order to keep such a good connection between drone and controller in such tight conditions along the stream for such a long distance, with what appears to be uninterrupted connection? And what drone was this? M2P? Very impressive flying.
Towards the top of the deap slot canyon (1:00-1:20) there is a high point with an elevated semi-VLOS with 180 degree "view". It's a small spot of level ground on the edge of the cliff. It's under a thick canopy of trees so my only access (especially in the wind) was horizontally out through the branches towards the narrow canyon. Next time I run that canyon I'll record launch / retrieval for your reference.

Did you use goggles? Would the use of goggles better help finding your way through the branches?
No. I bought DJI's HD goggles in hopes of that very thing but the screen quality is terrible and especially so when used with reading glasses. I'm using their Smart Controller and while my eyes would prefer a bigger screen, it performs nicely and stows away well. I also like the Smart Controller for it's battery which lasts long enough that I'll carry 7-8 flight batteries for 2-3 hours of real world flight time before having to recharge anything. All of which fits nicely in a small pelican 1400 case.
pelican1400.jpg

Hi Chris - I really enjoyed your videos - liked them and subscribed to your channel on YouTube. I don't believe there are very many pilots that would dare to take their M2P where you have and yet I'm really glad you did - great footage! Way too scary for this kid to try! In sports mode, I'm not too sure how smooth you can get the video, but it was fine for me. In fact, a little bit of abruptness added to the the effect for me. Thanks for sharing!

BTW - just noticed your smart controller cover - I think I have the same one - really works well.

Towards the top of the deap slot canyon (1:00-1:20) there is a high point with an elevated semi-VLOS with 180 degree "view". It's a small spot of level ground on the edge of the cliff. It's under a thick canopy of trees so my only access (especially in the wind) was horizontally out through the branches towards the narrow canyon. Next time I run that canyon I'll record launch / retrieval for your reference.

No. I bought DJI's HD goggles in hopes of that very thing but the screen quality is terrible and especially so when used with reading glasses. I'm using their Smart Controller and while my eyes would prefer a bigger screen, it performs nicely and stows away well. I also like the Smart Controller for it's battery which lasts long enough that I'll carry 7-8 flight batteries for 2-3 hours of real world flight time before having to recharge anything. All of which fits nicely in a small pelican 1400 case.
View attachment 122803
Thanks a lot! i´m using the SC too and like it very much. The Pelican case looks sturdy enough! Please continue making such beautiful movies.

Great video! OK, I have to know where you were positioned in the mountain stream video in order to keep such a good connection between drone and controller in such tight conditions along the stream for such a long distance, with what appears to be uninterrupted connection? And what drone was this? M2P? Very impressive flying.
@Moon4Drone, this is for you... I went back up today to demo my approach & location for you. Let me know if you have any questions. Note that I've added a few paragraphs in the description. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude
The weather hasn't been great but I've been having fun scouting / practicing. The river run was very windy (+40mph gusts) with a dark grey overcast, but I thought I'd share my practice run to give a few of you some ideas.

On request, regarding my approach and position to maintain signal through the canyon run, I re-visited and shot a demo. Should make sense watching that, for those who are curious how I did it...

Once again doing only what a drone (and excellent pilot) can do. I've been waiting for someone to continue up a stream with the waterfall taking us where no one can go and this is the best. What size screen are you looking at in order to see the small branches?
Keep the videos coming.

Once again doing only what a drone (and excellent pilot) can do. I've been waiting for someone to continue up a stream with the waterfall taking us where no one can go and this is the best. What size screen are you looking at in order to see the small branches?
Keep the videos coming.
Thanks kindly. Using the Smart Controller, and 1.75x readers. :)

I just wish there were unrestricted places in the current area I’m in to do these kinds of videos. Seems everything worth visiting is No Drone areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61