DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

River Trent, Nottingham.

its seems like no matter where i fly in the middle of the sea, countryside fields, my back garden, oh even inside my house, you people will never be happy....even if my drone was light as a feather ..i guess you go out looking for something to moan about. why don't you go search for people who fly their drones at a airport or spying at people windows and tell them about rules & privacy.

its seems like no matter where i fly in the middle of the sea, countryside fields, my back garden, oh even inside my house, you people will never be happy....even if my drone was light as a feather ..i guess you go out looking for something to moan about. why don't you go search for people who fly their drones at a airport or spying at people windows and tell them about rules & privacy.

Rules apply to everyone and those that ignore them are ruining this fledgling industry, profession and hobby for their own selfish means.

Well, I loved the shot looking straight down, following the guy in the boat. Very cool. I don't know about the rules in the UK but I can say I've seen thousands of videos people have shot over cities all over the world and if you're shooting in a city, you're flying over people. It can't be helped. People are everywhere. If we interpret the rules literally, then we would never fly our drones anywhere except over uninhabited scenic areas. That's nice, usually makes for pretty shots but not everyone lives in or near an area like that. It did seem to me like you were more in danger of having your drone plummet into the water than hit a person. Good luck my friend.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Well, I loved the shot looking straight down, following the guy in the boat. Very cool. I don't know about the rules in the UK but I can say I've seen thousands of videos people have shot over cities all over the world and if you're shooting in a city, you're flying over people. It can't be helped. People are everywhere. If we interpret the rules literally, then we would never fly our drones anywhere except over uninhabited scenic areas. That's nice, usually makes for pretty shots but not everyone lives in or near an area like that. It did seem to me like you were more in danger of having your drone plummet into the water than hit a person. Good luck my friend.

Finally someone sees I was flying over the edge of the bridge with the water below me and only crossed the bridge once. Thank you Dave for your positive comment and what you said is very true and I respect you for speaking out. Glad you enjoyed the video and stay safe. :)

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hi

I've not flown for long tbf, but I do like the community and I like staying legal and responsible. I'm insured and registered and completed my little Drone code test. And personally I see nothing wrong with your flight mate, it's a lovely depiction of one of out green and great cities.

I don't want to hijack this but, every time I see a video on here, there a few users who smugly point out it's unlawful etc. well IMHO I rarely seen anything unlawful (Aside from flying without clearance / paperwork etc.) This consent smug tutting is tiring an distracts from the video. I'd like reference to the timeline as to when the code that was broken, and what code / law was broken, because here I don't see any - I know that I'm new but I feel I'm well read and have a good understanding of the laws/ code.

You refer to A: flying over people and vehicles - well I agree, but it's not a crowd
" Never fly closer than 150m to a crowd of 1,000 people or more. Never fly directly over a crowd. "(Done code https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2)

and he is flying at an altitude >50m (looks like <50 to me)
" Never fly closer than 50m to people. Even when your drone is more than 50m away from people it is safer to avoid directly overflying them. " https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

same for vehicles
" Never fly closer than 50m to buildings, cars, trains or boats. " https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

Now a built up area is a little different, but I don't really identify any built up areas, and if there are you don't fly directly over them.
"Never fly closer than 150m to built-up areas. Never fly directly over a built-up area." - https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

But granted it could be argued that a city by definition is built up.. but its stretch, is Hyde Park / Central Park "built up"?

I'm sorry if I upset anyone, but if everything a decent safe video is posted the naysayers and finger wagging starts, there won't be many videos apart from sunset over rolling fields. I agree that it is a new fragile industry and it's right not to spoil it for everyone, but lets face it all the loons flying under motorway bridges aren't going to be on here are they. Also anyone with a amazon account a internet connection a raspberry pi and a simple electronics book could build a much faster, heavy and unregulated craft for a 10th the cost of a pro.. just saying law won't stop law breakers..community promotes safe sensible practice

Good video mate, I especially like the tram tacking, good flying skills :)

Reactions: tydrones
Great video and flying mate. Don't think too harsh about other less enthusiastic comments, like all of us they just want to keep flying. I don't own acres of land, so like you are forced to fly with caution where I can. I doubt anyone was put at risk or had their privacy abused by your well planned flight.
Around 3000 people a year are injured by Golf balls. Should we ban golf?

Hi

I've not flown for long tbf, but I do like the community and I like staying legal and responsible. I'm insured and registered and completed my little Drone code test. And personally I see nothing wrong with your flight mate, it's a lovely depiction of one of out green and great cities.

I don't want to hijack this but, every time I see a video on here, there a few users who smugly point out it's unlawful etc. well IMHO I rarely seen anything unlawful (Aside from flying without clearance / paperwork etc.) This consent smug tutting is tiring an distracts from the video. I'd like reference to the timeline as to when the code that was broken, and what code / law was broken, because here I don't see any - I know that I'm new but I feel I'm well read and have a good understanding of the laws/ code.

You refer to A: flying over people and vehicles - well I agree, but it's not a crowd
" Never fly closer than 150m to a crowd of 1,000 people or more. Never fly directly over a crowd. "(Done code https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2)

and he is flying at an altitude >50m (looks like " Never fly closer than 50m to people. Even when your drone is more than 50m away from people it is safer to avoid directly overflying them. " https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

same for vehicles
" Never fly closer than 50m to buildings, cars, trains or boats. " https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

Now a built up area is a little different, but I don't really identify any built up areas, and if there are you don't fly directly over them.
"Never fly closer than 150m to built-up areas. Never fly directly over a built-up area." - https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

But granted it could be argued that a city by definition is built up.. but its stretch, is Hyde Park / Central Park "built up"?

I'm sorry if I upset anyone, but if everything a decent safe video is posted the naysayers and finger wagging starts, there won't be many videos apart from sunset over rolling fields. I agree that it is a new fragile industry and it's right not to spoil it for everyone, but lets face it all the loons flying under motorway bridges aren't going to be on here are they. Also anyone with a amazon account a internet connection a raspberry pi and a simple electronics book could build a much faster, heavy and unregulated craft for a 10th the cost of a pro.. just saying law won't stop law breakers..community promotes safe sensible practice

There is no argument about a city being built-up - it is very clearly described and illustrated in the CAA Safe Flying code:

‘Built-up and busy areas

Never fly closer to built-up and busy areas than 150m.

Never fly above these areas at any height.

Examples of built-up and busy areas:

cities and towns
villages
beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village
housing estates
schools and offices
retail, warehouse, industrial and business parks’

The OP was breaking many of these and the reason he has received the comments he has.

Reactions: Grasscutter
There is no argument about a city being built-up - it is very clearly described and illustrated in the CAA Safe Flying code:

‘Built-up and busy areas

Never fly closer to built-up and busy areas than 150m.

Never fly above these areas at any height.

Examples of built-up and busy areas:

cities and towns
villages
beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village
housing estates
schools and offices
retail, warehouse, industrial and business parks’

The OP was breaking many of these and the reason he has received the comments he has.
Skyhigh, thanks for clearing it up, like I said I'm new to all this, personally i thought the video wad within acceptable bounds but obviously not, thanks again, you probably kept me out of future trouble. Imo Cityscapes and architecture gives some of the best top down images too.

Skyhigh, thanks for clearing it up, like I said I'm new to all this, personally i thought the video wad within acceptable bounds but obviously not, thanks again, you probably kept me out of future trouble. Imo Cityscapes and architecture gives some of the best top down images too.

It’s true, many of the interesting places & buildings to photograph or film are out of bounds without a license. It’s frustrating but those restrictions are in place for the safety of everyone on the ground or in the air and property.

I was going to get a UK commercial license but as I normally live in Australia it’s just not worth while. I’m a landscape photographer and for me my birth country of England and especially Scotland (Isle of Skye) provides endless opportunities. I’ve travelled throughout Australia and although very different it doesn’t have the same photographic interest to me as the enormous variety of the UK.

Loved the trams .wicked. I personally try to keep more to the side. Plan shots i.e. straight down are not the best I find on trams and trains. There are alwasy lots of people telling you what you cannot do no matter what you are dong.

Great video and flying mate. Don't think too harsh about other less enthusiastic comments, like all of us they just want to keep flying. I don't own acres of land, so like you are forced to fly with caution where I can. I doubt anyone was put at risk or had their privacy abused by your well planned flight.
Around 3000 people a year are injured by Golf balls. Should we ban golf?

lol about ban golf balls, and what you say is true.. i guess you cant please them al.
However. Thank you for the positive comment .... glad you enjoyed the video.

Loved the trams .wicked. I personally try to keep more to the side. Plan shots i.e. straight down are not the best I find on trams and trains. There are alwasy lots of people telling you what you cannot do no matter what you are dong.

Thank you also for you positive message and really glad you enjoyed the video.

Hi

and he is flying at an altitude >50m (looks like <50 to me)
" Never fly closer than 50m to people. Even when your drone is more than 50m away from people it is safer to avoid directly overflying them. " https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf Pg2

same for vehicles

well said there! and thank you, glad you enjoyed the video :)

Reactions: Grasscutter

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy