DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rotating Air.

Duds

Reactions
Have posted this before but received very little feedback. Air rotating albeit very slowly in clockwise direction when hovering. Done an IMU calibration with very little success. Also did stick calibration and the only unusual observation was the left stick when moved for left direction change doesn't obtain 100%.
Any ideas please? Could it be the controller itself? Air has never crashed. Thanks guys.

How old is the Air? Was it used frequently? 'Cause, if you already did stick calibration, and it still doesn't work as it should, I would say it's hardware issue (stick movement impaired in a way). If you don't want (or can't) send it to DJI, find capable electronic repair service, they should be able to confirm whether the stick is faulty or not.

Please keep us posted.

Bought it second hand about a year ago. Appears to have 31 hours flying time from logs.
Was always fine until recently. Thanks for feedback, will get it to the experts as soon as lockdown lifts. Meantime it still flies but obviously I'm a bit apprehensive as I would hate to lose stick control in flight.

I understand the urge to fly, but be careful. Even though it's working now, I don't know if I would trust it, it could as well quit working when least expected... You know what I mean. Anyway, good luck, fly safe. And keep us posted.

Hi @Duds

The whole point of a remote controller stick calibration is to ensure that both sticks don't register any input in any direction when centered (left untouched) and that they can register the entire range of movement from 0 - 100% when pushed to their limit in each of the four directions. From your post, it looks like one of the sticks is not doing this and this is a problem. When doing the calibration, push the sticks outwards slowly; continue to push until the stick has reached its limit; and then return them to the center slowly. Do this repeatedly for each direction, especially if one of the sticks is not registering a 100% input when pushed to the limit. Note the max input registered, return the stick slowly to its center, release it, note if it is registering any input when it is resting centered, and push it again to its limit (slowly), and note the max input registered. If the max input still remains the same, push it harder even and see if it registers more input. My bet is it will; I have had a few times when the sticks were maxing out at about 98%. Keep doing this until the stick registers the entire range of input from 0 - 100 and does so without you needing to push it really hard when it is at the outer most edges. If this is a stick calibration issue, this will resolve it. If the issue still persists, you may need to open up the remote controller and clean the contacts inside the the joystick housing.

Here is a video showing how to do that

But before go about doing that I suggest you upload a .txt log file of any one of your flight in which this issue occurred so that we can confirm if a false input on one of the sticks is indeed the cause of the issue. You can attach and upload the file using the "Attach file" button below the text box in this forum - instructions on how to access the flight log file are below.

1588331996482.png

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I'll try suggestions made and report back.
Oh, one more thing. When you do the calibration, you have to tap on "Calibrate" and then "Start" first before you go about moving the sticks. It is not the most intuitive of settings. So here we go, just in case you haven't figured it out.

1. Go in to the "Remote Controller Calibration" sub-menu in GO4, scroll down till you see the "Calibrate" button and tap on it to launch the calibration routine.
1588334709914.png

2. On the screen that appears next (below) tap on "Start", you will hear a few successive beeps to let you know you have now started the calibration routine. Now, go ahead and start dancing with the sticks (Time for a pet peeve of mine: The app never tells you the order of the directions you should proceed with. I just start pushing the left stick every which way until it starts registering input on one of its axis, finish with that and proceed with figuring out which direction is next by pushing every which way again. Same goes for the right stick)
1588334962013.png

3. Once you are done dancing with the sticks, proceed to dancing with the gimbal wheel; play with the dial a few times. When you are satisfied with everything, tap on "Done" and you will hear a few quick beeps to let you know you have successfully completed the calibration routine.
1588335565771.png

Thanks doppler. Will let you all know how it pans out.
I've had the same problem. Doppler is spot on, don't dispair. Follow his directions and like he said you might have to clean them. It should definitely fix it though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky