DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Aborted in Mini 2

kashifs

Reactions
I was flying in an altitude zone (196ft) at the maximum altitude, within 100 meters. It was night time and I realized that I can't see the bird any more and started RTH. It showed RTH activity for few seconds on the app and to my surprise, went normal. I reinitiated RTH and same happened after a few seconds. Then I tried to locate the AC in sky and pull back in my direction till I was able to clearly see that. I reinitiated the RTH and this time it didn't abort and worked till the safe landing of AC. I am surprised why the RTH was simply aborted twice when I was needing it the most because after I traced my AC in the sky, it was simple to pull it back without the RTH.

I was flying in an altitude zone (196ft) at the maximum altitude, within 100 meters. It was night time and I realized that I can't see the bird any more and started RTH. It showed RTH activity for few seconds on the app and to my surprise, went normal. I reinitiated RTH and same happened after a few seconds. Then I tried to locate the AC in sky and pull back in my direction till I was able to clearly see that. I reinitiated the RTH and this time it didn't abort and worked till the safe landing of AC. I am surprised why the RTH was simply aborted twice when I was needing it the most because after I traced my AC in the sky, it was simple to pull it back without the RTH.
How were you initiating the RTH ? Via the app or the controller

How were you initiating the RTH ? Via the app or the controller
By pressing and holding the RTH button on the controller. The RTH started and its indication remained on the app for few seconds and then vanished (just like it was never started). It happened twice until I had to drive back the M2 nearer to me and then it went successful. The point to note is that I was flying in an altitude zone (196ft) and most probably the RTH altitude that was set in the app was larger than that limit.

I'm no expert but I thought RTH operation was a simple, single press, rather than hold.. Wondering if holding it cancelled it out..
Though as you say it worked (presumably the same way.. by holding it down?) Ok when nearer to you.

Confused myself over this one!

Last edited:
RTH requires a press and hold. It will beep acknowledgement and should continue to beep until cancelled, (requires quick press of RTH button or pause) or the landing procedure starts. If the RC lost connection the RTH button will not initiate RTH, (don't recall if the RC beeps anyway) but drone will initiate RTH after xx seconds in this condition.

RTH requires a press and hold. It will beep acknowledgement and should continue to beep until cancelled, (requires quick press of RTH button or pause) or the landing procedure starts. If the RC lost connection the RTH button will not initiate RTH, (don't recall if the RC beeps anyway) but drone will initiate RTH after xx seconds in this condition.
Perhaps I have not been using it property then.. you have to hold the button in till it comes back?

Perhaps I have not been using it property then.. you have to hold the button in till it comes back?
Should have made the statement clearer. You press and hold TILL it beeps, then release and it will then continue to beep until aborted, (paused/cancelled). If your device, (phone/tablet) supports sound and the volume is up it should also announce aircraft will return to home, (RTH).

Last edited:
Reactions: Grazuncle
The manual is the latest version & it works as described, but if your happy with your way and it works no problem. Smart RTH is covered in both the early version manual, (v1) & the latest manual, , (v1.2) on pages 8 & 14 respectively in both manuals.

It is actually just a long press for 2 seconds and release the button. This initiates RTH which can be cancelled at any time by just (short) pressing the RTH button again.

I got chance to fly in a beautiful space yesterday. Sent the bird to the open space up to 4000ft with an altitude between 350ft to 375ft. RTH worked perfectly well all the times.

When I reached around 375ft at a distance where I wasn't able to see the AC directly and initiated the RTH, it started but gave me a warning after few seconds that it is too windy and that the altitude should be lowered immediately. It also warned that either the AC could flip or the RTH couldn't be performed!!! This was a completely unexpected situation. I immediately lowered the AC up to 200ft; the RTH continued. I was wondering whether the RTH will again try to raise the AC up to the RTH limit which I had set before the flight to 300ft, but it didn't. The AC came to the starting point maintaining the same altitude and then landed at the Home point. It went well but raised more questions:

- What happens when the aircraft flips? Does it stop flying and fall down like a stone or try to regain its orientation to continue flying?

- Is there anything which could be done in case the AC flips?

Attachments

• DJI_0210.JPG
    DJI_0210.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 25
  • DJI_0196.JPG
    DJI_0196.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
  • DJI_0195.JPG
    DJI_0195.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
  • DJI_0190.JPG
    DJI_0190.JPG