DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH at current Altitude

Music One

Reactions
I still have my MA, but received my new M2P yesterday. I have it all set and ready to fly, just waiting for a decent day. Just one question. I take it the RTH at current altitude when enabled completely overides my normal RTH setting of RTH of just over 180ft.Is that correct? It will be a handy feature for me when flying in a few of my regular spots.
Thanks in anticipation

Yes when you set it to return at current altitude it will do that rather than your custom setting that you normally would use. Just make sure the drone isn't below tree or building level when you initiate a return to home. It is a pain when you push the return to home button and it begins rising several hundred feet because you have it set to max height from your last flight. It's good to always check that before a flight.

Thanks hactick. It will be handy over some moorland spots I go to where there are no obstacles at all apart from the odd ferns no more than 6ft high.

@Music One, congrats on getting the M2P; I am happy for you :) But also sad to see another Air flyer go :( But I am also keenly awaiting your experience of the M2P as some one coming from the MA; so do write a few words on that when you have the time. Anywho, back to the topic - is this a M2P only feature? I don't recall ever seeing that option on my MA.

I take it the RTH at current altitude when enabled completely overides my normal RTH setting of RTH of just over 180ft.Is that correct?
No, that's not what that setting does. It allows the Mavic to fly home when it's between 5 to 20 meters from the home point.

Here's more information from the Mavic 2 manual:

1576751726729.png

Doppler ... Will do. I will still be flying my MA alongside the M2P.
msinger .. thanks. I will leave it permanently switched on. I think it was automatically on when I first switched on to set up. Cant be sure though.
One other thing if anyone has any suggestions. I have a set of 4 ND filters for it but have no gadget to push on the lens cap to get it off for the first time. I nervous about using to much force. Anyone else had the same prob.

One other thing if anyone has any suggestions. I have a set of 4 ND filters for it but have no gadget to push on the lens cap to get it off for the first time. I nervous about using to much force. Anyone else had the same prob.

By 'lens cap', I assume you mean the clear factory filter on the lens (and not the large gimbal guard protecting the entire gimbal / lens package).

These filters just come off with a partial twist without much force. You should still steady the gimbal with the free hand (even if you had a tool), then place 2 finger-tips on 2 opposite corners and twist counter-clockwise, just a fraction of an inch.

And they go on in reverse. It should be obvious once you get the clear filter off and have a look at the back of it.

Chris

Hi Chris ... yes its the clear factory filter. I understand how to do it ok but nervous about using to much force to get the factory one off. It seems pretty tight at the mo and I dont want to damage anything. It was the same with my MA. But then I

Went to quick again .. It was the same with my MA, but I was able to gentle grip it in some small pliers to give it the extra twist. After that it was easy putting things on and off

Hi Chris ... yes its the clear factory filter. I understand how to do it ok but nervous about using to much force to get the factory one off. It seems pretty tight at the mo and I dont want to damage anything. It was the same with my MA. But then I

There are videos out there, some of which are at least 6 minutes long, which is weird because even with some cautionary instructions, said videos shouldn't take more than 40-60 seconds (for what is really a 2 second procedure).

No, that's not what that setting does. It allows the Mavic to fly home when it's between 5 to 20 meters from the home point.

Here's more information from the Mavic 2 manual:

View attachment 88448
Your info is always spot on. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I couldn’t imagine a situation that would warrant hitting the return to home button less than 20 meters away.

Reactions: Thomas B
I guess I couldn’t imagine a situation that would warrant hitting the return to home button less than 20 meters away.
The procedure applies to a fail-safe RTH as well so it is good to be aware of it and put some thought into picking an appropriate take off spot. May be close quarter disconnects are unheard of in the OccuSync powered Mavic Pro world, but with the MA they do happen. I have had a disconnect a mere 14m away just after take off and the MA, thankfully came back to where it took off from. I am glad it did not land where it was because I was right on the edge of a lake. Since then, I make it a point to pick a take off spot that is at least 25m or so away from a water body if I am near one.

Note that altitude here is always height above the launch point. If the ground slopes up the drone does not know, and a height may well be below the actual ground level.

Filter sorted. Thanks once to you all for all the help in this thread. Much appreciated

When I got some Polar Pro ND/polarizer filters they came with a clever little dohicky that really simplifies removal & installation of the filters. Highly recommended.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scATC1001