DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Auto-landing question

joenefloresca

Reactions
I'm flying my Mavic Mini 60 meters away when I lost signal. I was flying at the roof of my house. Then when I lost the signal, I lost the video feed and the drone initiate the auto-return home. I when it was less than 20 meters away from me I got a VLOS of it and canceled the RTH. So it hovers. I think it was 18 meters away from me and 60 meters above. While hovering I suddenly lost signal again, it is goes into Auto-landing. I am aware that if the drone is within 20 meters it will just land but at that time, 18 meters away, it was hovering in our neighbor's roof so it started Auto-landing (Edit: I have a video feed at this point, drone is about 60 meters up) and I tried spamming the cancel auto-lading button but it keeps going down. Until when it is only 30 meters in height I was able to click the cancel auto-landing.

Can someone confirm if there are some parameters or rules before you can cancel auto-landing? I find it very dangerous if you can't cancel auto-landing right away and the drone just goes down. 20 meters is still a big circle around you. What if you are flying in elevated platform which is not as big as 20 meters in space. Is there other buttons or steps to cancel auto-landing?

Last edited:
First ... if you have completely lost the connection with the drone & it have entered into FailSafe RTH you can't do anything as you have lost the connection.

Secondly ... if you push multiple time on the RTH button with connection to the drone & with RTH started it will cancel on the first push then initiate RTH again on the second push-hold, a bit like flicking a light switch on/off.

All in the user manual page 13 --> Mavic Mini User Manual v1.0
Also look at page 29 for antenna positioning when the drone is close above you for optimum transmission

You are correct, less than 20 m it will just land and not attempt to return to the home point. If you loose signal when it’s less than 20 m there is nothing you can do to stop it as you will not have control via WiFi connection. Are you sure you are how are you orientating the antenna correct towards the Mini? I suggest you study the instruction manual online.

Thanks guys for your responses. I forgot to mention that when auto-landing was initiated, I already got the video feed in my screen it was about 60 meters in height. And there is a cancel auto-landing button with an 'X' icon next to it. I tried clicking it over and over and nothing happens. When the height is just 30meters, I was able to cancel the auto-landing.

So I am confused if there is a rule in canceling auto-landing or is it just my phone's touch screen not responding properly.

First ... if you have completely lost the connection with the drone & it have entered into FailSafe RTH you can't do anything as you have lost the connection.

Secondly ... if you push multiple time on the RTH button with connection to the drone & with RTH started it will cancel on the first push then initiate RTH again on the second push-hold, a bit like flicking a light switch on/off.

All in the user manual page 13 --> Mavic Mini User Manual v1.0
Also look at page 29 for antenna positioning when the drone is close above you for optimum transmission

Thanks . for this, I will read the manual fully

You are correct, less than 20 m it will just land and not attempt to return to the home point. If you loose signal when it’s less than 20 m there is nothing you can do to stop it as you will not have control via WiFi connection. Are you sure you are how are you orientating the antenna correct towards the Mini? I suggest you study the instruction manual online.

I haven't check the manual yet for antenna positioning. Checking it now. Thanks!

So I am confused if there is a rule in canceling auto-landing or is it just my phone's touch screen not responding properly.
There is no "rule" about cancelling autolanding.
The quickest and simplest way to cancel autolanding (or any automated flight mode) is to quickly flick the Flight Mode switch to Sport and back again.

The quickest and simplest way to cancel autolanding (or any automated flight mode) is to quickly flick the Flight Mode switch to Sport and back again.

Thanks for the tip will check it out later. Does clicking the RTH button in cotroller while autolanding will cancel it as well?

The Mini controller doesn't have a flight mode switch, it's changed only via the app.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
I had the very same problem with my mini. I kept losing video feed at short ranges. Also the cancel landing was acting up like you were saying. Turns out the connection lead into my phone wasnt totally connected. I have a big phone so it barely fits in the remote. The connection kept coming and going which also explains why the cancel landing wasnt working on the phone.

I had the very same problem with my mini. I kept losing video feed at short ranges. Also the cancel landing was acting up like you were saying. Turns out the connection lead into my phone wasnt totally connected. I have a big phone so it barely fits in the remote. The connection kept coming and going which also explains why the cancel landing wasnt working on the phone.

I see. I am using Mate 20 which is also quite big. I also check my cable. But in case it happens to you, you can press the RTH button in the controller while it is auto-landing and it will stop the sequence. I've tested it several times today and I am not using the touch screen anymore to stop the auto-landing. Good luck!

This is why I scan these forums - good read, even several months later! If this happens to me I'll have an idea of what might be happening and what to do to get my Mini back home. Thanks, all of you.

So basically your landing if you've lost connection,and can't cancel RTH or switch mode from P to S, as you can with other remotes that have a physical switch.

So basically your landing if you've lost connection,and can't cancel RTH or switch mode from P to S, as you can with other remotes that have a physical switch.
If you’ve lost connect the drone will default to the safety setting.. RTH, hover or land. If you’ve lost connection and the drone is RTH automatically, as soon as the controller reconnects you can take control again. Best to keep visual line of sight

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura