DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH function

platt

Reactions
Upon initial takeoff, The Mavic sets the home point automatically. It it then rises off the ground about 6 feet and hovers waiting for another command. Viewing videos eventually got me to the point of hearing multiple conflicting pieces of information regarding how high and how long to allow the mavic to record its position with its down facing sensors before heading out. Does anyone have accurate information regarding this.

Also during RTH if the sticks on the controller are bumped intentionally or not, does the Mavic cancel the currrent RTH command?

Thanks for any help you can be.

Viewing videos eventually got me to the point of hearing multiple conflicting pieces of information regarding how high and how long to allow the mavic to record its position with its down facing sensors before heading out.
The Mavic does not use its sensors to record the location of the home point. It uses the location from the GPS receiver within the Mavic. As soon as you see the home point on the map in DJI GO, it has been recorded.

The downward sensors are used during takeoff if using the Precision Landing feature. Check out the "Precision Landing" section of the Mavic manual for more details on how that feature works.

during RTH if the sticks on the controller are bumped intentionally or not, does the Mavic cancel the currrent RTH command?
As the Mavic is ascending to the RTH altitude before it starts returning to the home point, it will stop ascending and start returning home immediately if you move the left stick after it has ascended above 20 meters (65 feet). No stick movement will cancel RTH though.

Check out the "Return-to-Home (RTH)" section of the Mavic manual for more details on how the RTH feature works. It's very detailed, so read though that information carefully.

You may be confusing with it establishing the RTH position and it taking a photo to better see where to land. RTH is set about a second or two after take off and you will get a visual and verbal confirmation of this (sometimes the verbal is not made). I don't know that anyone has an exact time on the photo but I suspect it's within that same amount of time. However, the Mavic does not rely on the photo to RTH. The photo (if enabled in settings) only allows the downward facing camera to more percisly line up when landing instead of using only GPS. Personally, I've never seen any difference when the photo option is turned off or one, the Mavic always seems to land about a foot away from the take off point.

Moving the sticks during RTH or Smart RTH will not cancel RTH. You can control the Mavic slightly by using the sticks during RTH but at the most, you'd only be fighting the RTH movement. For example, you can move the Mavic left and right under RTH but moving the Mavic back would mainly negate it's automatic forward movement. If the Mavic is landing under RTH you can move up but it would be slower and releasing the stick would then allow the Mavic to continue it's downward movement.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
The Mavic does not use its sensors to record the location of the home point. It uses the location from the GPS receiver within the Mavic. As soon as you see the home point on the map in DJI GO, it has been recorded.

I think your post is a little confusing. The Mavic does not use the sensors to set the actual RTH point but it does help mark that location so it can land more precisely.

upload_2017-11-28_16-14-46.png

To add to my post, as shown above, moving the control sticks in any direction other than down will stop the _Precision Landing_ control but not the RTH landing.

The Mavic does not use the sensors to set the actual RTH point
Right on -- like I said above ;) It uses the GPS location from the GPS receiver within the Mavic.

I was just clarifying when the sensors are used since the OP mentioned them.

Right on -- like I said above ;) It uses the GPS location from the GPS receiver within the Mavic.

I was just clarifying when the sensors are used since the OP mentioned them.

Yup, I agree... your post is 100% correct (as always) but the statement about not using downward sensors to record the home point might be confusing to someone who does not realize that it's not _setting_ the home point location but the downward sensors are "better defining" that marked spot.

This is probably one of those situations where it's better for a majority of users not to know exactly what is taking place and to only know that the RTH landing.... simply works.

(I'm _still_ not a big fan of people using RTH unless they cannot control the Mavic manually though)

I'm _still_ not a big fan of people using RTH unless they cannot control the Mavic manually though
Me neither. None of the automated features are perfect. It's good to always keep that in the back of your mind.

Yup, I agree... your post is 100% correct (as always) but the statement about not using downward sensors to record the home point might be confusing to someone who does not realize that it's not _setting_ the home point location but the downward sensors are "better defining" that marked spot.

This is probably one of those situations where it's better for a majority of users not to know exactly what is taking place and to only know that the RTH landing.... simply works.

(I'm _still_ not a big fan of people using RTH unless they cannot control the Mavic manually though)

I've personally never used RTH manually. I'm a GA pilot and I want to fly the bird with my own hands. RTH is only there for emergencies, IMHO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter