DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH is awesome!

celdcl

Reactions
I had my first near disaster by flying farther than I'd tried before and not realizing it was much windier up there than I anticipated. I lost connection intermittently, then got disoriented when I tried to manually fly it home, instead sending it further away. In a panic, I finally tried the RTH button for the first time. Unbelievable; it worked perfectly, landing the drone within 2 feet of where I took off. And it had a long way to go to come home!

Yes, it's real useful. If I'm not sure which way the drone is heading I press the RTH button, the first thing it does is yaw the drone to point to home. Then you can either turn off RTH and fly back manually, or let it run.

Be careful, RTH'ing up into wind and relying on it to get the drone home can be the wrong thing to do. As you found out the winds aloft can be stronger than down low, in fact they can be too strong for the mini to make headway, relative to the ground, against them.
Others may suggest using the map to orientate the drone and then manually flying home as low as possible, I haven't tried that. But if you trigger RTH in such circumstances once it has turned toward home you could cancel the RTH and descend enough to get below the wind whilst pushing your forward stick to the stop, switching to sports mode may help. Obviously you have to control the drone and watch out for obstacles in your path

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rehkram
Be careful, RTH'ing up into wind and relying on it to get the drone home can be the wrong thing to do. As you found out the winds aloft can be stronger than down low, in fact they can be too strong for the mini to make headway, relative to the ground, against them.
Others may suggest using the map to orientate the drone and then manually flying home as low as possible, I haven't tried that. But if you trigger RTH in such circumstances once it has turned toward home you could cancel the RTH and descend enough to get below the wind whilst pushing your forward stick to the stop, switching to sports mode may help. Obviously you have to control the drone and watch out for obstacles in your path

All valid points and good advice...cept' he is flying a MA not a MM. (Assuming he is posting in correct thread) :p The speed tops out at 42 miles per hour, a smidge faster than the Mavic Pro, so a calm collected pilot should have no issue :)

Last edited:
Oooops, sorry. I must get out of the habit of thinking MM when I see wind, 'problem' & RTH all in one post

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Oooops, sorry. I must get out of the habit of thinking MM when I see wind, 'problem' & RTH all in one post

Yes, its an MA 1, not a mini. I'll bet the mini would have been long gone in that wind. But thanks for the tips, I wish I had thought of looking at the map, or resuming direct control once it came close enough to home. But I was somewhat panicked and not thinking clearly; it was over or near a large lake so I knew there would be no retrieval if it went down. Thankfully RTH took care of me like it was designed to do.

Panic is a major problem I think, that "oh sugar lumps" moment gets rid of all reasoning.
It's one reason why I suggest running through all the RTH scenarios you can imagine in a safe, open, obstructionless place and in safe conditions. Better to first experience them in a practice situation than in real life

Reactions: hiflyer201
Auto RTH has saved me as well - I was over a lake and lost the connection. I look at the controller and see "NA" on the controller (I have a M2P). I got that sinking feeling in the middle of my stomach. After around 15 seconds the connection was re-established and the aircraft was coming home. RTH saved the M2P! It is a great feature!

I use RTH all the time for lazy. Never failed.
Just make sure you adjust the RTH altitude to make sure you clear any tree, building or antenna. I personally use 180ft to return to home.

Also as soon as you take off make sure to hear the set home point updated. If not, manually do it. Also if your drone is capable to precision landing, as you take off go straight up to around 12-15 ft and wait 6 seconds to allow time to the drone set the precision landing. By doing that, the drone will land perfectly in the same spot.

The Mavic Air DJI Go 4.0 application is equipped with a radar into the lower left corner of the screen on your iPad, iPhone or other tablet you are using with your remote controller. This radar circle shows where your drone is flying and in which direction according to your home point. Just settle your drone in the right direction to come back home.

Yes, it's real useful. If I'm not sure which way the drone is heading I press the RTH button, the first thing it does is yaw the drone to point to home. Then you can either turn off RTH and fly back manually, or let it run.
The only problem I had once with the return to home button was mistaking the two buttons next to each other one day. One, the return to home looks very much like the other one that is some thing like land now. Suddenly my drone was trying to land in the middle of a pasture in a bunch of weeds. I’m pushing it up and it’s going back down and pushing it up and it’s going back down finally I realized what the problem was.?

The Mavic Air DJI Go 4.0 application is equipped with a radar into the lower left corner of the screen
that's always my go to. A week or so ago I lost my phone entirely..in fact it's in never never land I guess. I'd never used RTH...I'd cancelled it quite a few times on the screen but never pushed the button on the remote. It's a unbelievable relief to hear and see that the drone has actually returned after what seems like an eternity.
oh sugar lumps
Mr. Foggg..you're going to have to tell us more about that one:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming