DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH limit

Val972

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I sent my Mavic between 2 mountains (stupid thing I know) then I lost signal so RTH start and when the video came back the drone was very close to trees.

So I have 2 different questions :

- If RTH altitude is set at 40m for example and my drone is at 300m, will it go down during RTH to reach the 40m or will it stay at 300m and then go down when it reaches the home position ?

- What will happen if my drone detects a high obstacle (like a mountain) during RTH, will it go higher to avoid it (even if the limit is 500m) or will it stay in front of the obstacle ?

Last edited:
- If RTH altitude is set at 40m for example and my drone is at 300m, will it go down during RTH to reach the 40m or will it stay at 400m and then go down when it reaches the home position ?

If it is above then RTH height then it will not descend to that height - it will return at its current altitude.

- What will happen if my drone detects a high obstacle (like a mountain) during RTH, will it go higher to avoid it (even if the limit is 500m) or will it stay in front of the obstacle ?

Provided that it detects the obstacle, then it will stop and climb to attempt to clear it, up to the set maximum flight altitude.

May I suggest that you read the manual, where you will find all this information clearly described?

If it is above then RTH height then it will not descend to that height - it will return at its current altitude.

Provided that it detects the obstacle, then it will stop and climb to attempt to clear it, up to the set maximum flight altitude.

May I suggest that you read the manual, where you will find all this information clearly described?

One of the questions was legitimate though. If the drone is in RTH and senses an obstacle will it override the the max height limit of 500 meters to go above it? I don’t think so. There’s a parameter

g_config_go_home_avoid_ascending_height_limit_disable=0

Due to the way it’s worded it has confused me but I think it means that since it is off the height limit is enabled and thus it won’t go above 500 meters during return to home even if it encounters and obstacle. Turning it on will disable the height limit and thus allow the drone to exceed the height limit.

Since I have globally turned off the height limit on mine there’s no limit to disable so therefore I haven’t tested it nor am I really inclined to be honest therefore I can’t say what will happen in this situation but my guess is it will try to find another way but if it can’t it will sit and hover. Educated guess

Thats a cool parameter to stumble across!!! I wonder if setting it to true would do as you say??

I do not know what parameter it is, it would be interesting what it does, my mavic I have it unlocked in height, personally I am interested in your parameter.

One of the questions was legitimate though. If the drone is in RTH and senses an obstacle will it override the the max height limit of 500 meters to go above it? I don’t think so. There’s a parameter

Due to the way it’s worded it has confused me but I think it means that since it is off the height limit is enabled and thus it won’t go above 500 meters during return to home even if it encounters and obstacle. Turning it on will disable the height limit and thus allow the drone to exceed the height limit.

Since I have globally turned off the height limit on mine there’s no limit to disable so therefore I haven’t tested it nor am I really inclined to be honest therefore I can’t say what will happen in this situation but my guess is it will try to find another way but if it can’t it will sit and hover. Educated guess

Yes - and I answered that question. It will ascend up to the maximum flight altitude that is set in the app (not the default 500 m unless that is what is set). If you have disabled the 500 m height limit then presumably it could keep ascending until the battery level fell to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level, at which point it would auto land.

Yes - and I answered that question. It will ascend up to the maximum flight altitude that is set in the app (not the default 500 m unless that is what is set). If you have disabled the 500 m height limit then presumably it could keep ascending until the battery level fell to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level, at which point it would auto land.

I did miss that sorry

Reactions: sar104
There’s a parameter

Where is this parameter set? DJI GO4 ?

Does anyone know if it is necessary to change this parameter so we have unlocked the height?

I thought you couldn't unlock the 500m ceiling, that it was baked into the hardware.

You can unlock it on the Mavic Pro, at least on the earlier firmware versions, but not the Mavic 2. And DJI can unlock it of course, but they won't do that for regular consumer users.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej