DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH on lost connection with remote

Mark_Y

Reactions
If my Mavic 2 louses uplink signal fails it hovers and does not return to home. Drone hovers at location where link to remote to lost. I had this to happen when I was flying in the mountains. After waiting for a few minutes without a connecting I drove up the mountain until I regained connection and flew the drone back to me. The next day I attempted to replicate losing connection to see if the drone would return to home. I flew the drone a good distance away and turned the controller off. The Mavic 2 hovered at the same location and did not attempt to return to home.

Notice from attached picture the log below the time stamp where I lost the connection and the time stamp where I regained connection again.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? Is there a setting I am missing in Go4 app?

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 9
I can only think of two possibilities : (1) the home point is not recorded , (2) the action in response to disconnection is set to hover instead of RTH

Base on the test I have done on my M2P, turning off the controller is different from losing radio signal. The controller will send a RTH command to the drone before turning off so it's equivalent to pressing the RTH button.

If you can post the log may be more insight can be obtained.

Reactions: 611WM and Thomas B
Example one when lost connection without turning off controller.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-01-31_[16-17-33].txt
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Example where I turn off the controller. I could find a setting in G04 where I would set if the connection is lost to RTN. I tried this same test when I first bought this drone and it would RTH when you turned off the drone are was out of range of the controller.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-03_[17-52-34].txt
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
There is one other thing to bear mind, even if the failsafe response is hover and assuming that a home point was set AND that the drone has gps at the hover location, 'unrecovered' it will ultimately reach the low battery RTH threshold and RTH.

EDIT having typed the above it has come to mind that with the M2 the low battery RTH might be 'switchable ', if so the above 'presumes' it has not been switched off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have at a min 10 satellites before I take off and then I let if hover at 3 ft for 15 seconds then go to 24 feet and let it hover for 15 seconds before I fly so that is will have a good chance for the bird to find its way back home. I both of the flights the home point was recorded before I lost connection.

I must be overlooking where to set the failsafe option in the G04 app. Can you tell me where to find this setting in GO4?

Thank everyone so much for the help. I don't dig deep enough in the menus. The good news is no drones were lost during the discovery and resolution of my setup.

Thank everyone so much for the help. I don't dig deep enough in the menus. The good news is no drones were lost during the discovery and resolution of my setup.
What was the Loss of Signal action set to?
By default it is set to RTH and should never change unless you change it.

It was set to Hover. If I changed it to Hover I don't remember changing the setting. The current Mavic 2 zoom I have was one I received from DJI when using refresh. Hard to believe but a dog ran up and took my other one from my launching pad while I was watching the remote as it was acquiring satellites. Make me wonder if it was set to Hover and I missed changing it when I was setting up the new drone. I know the one that was damaged would RTH if you turned off the controller. I have added checking this setting to my pre flight list.

Reactions: Meta4
There is one other thing to bear mind, even if the failsafe response is hover and assuming that a home point was set AND that the drone has gps at the hover location, 'unrecovered' it will ultimately reach the low battery RTH threshold and RTH.

EDIT having typed the above it has come to mind that with the M2 the low battery RTH might be 'switchable ', if so the above 'presumes' it has not been switched off.
You can't turn off RTH on low battery, but you can cancel it.

Note that the M2's will retrace its path on signal loss for 60 seconds before RTH. If it had signal within 60 seconds ago, in theory it should be able to get it back where it's been.

It is possible to lose downlink and not unlink. Its rare for a Mavic but it has happened to me once or twice with my P3. Waited 4 minutes to get the signal back, where it had engaged low battery RTH. Back then the AC logs were readable where I found AC still had signal but my mobile log said signal loss.
So it was hovering, waiting for me to tell it what to do next.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus