DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

Hi all first and only time I used RTH after getting footage of castle, showing my brother in law its capabilities(mini3pro).
Pushed button and showed him it returning home on its own only to glance at screen to see it spiraling down to a stop.
OA or I had not seen the flag pole, needless to say wont be using RTH again.

On a plus side sent to DJI without refresh and paid £170 for repairs and got new sealed drone in return.

Not only does it depend on your surroundings, but also, how do you use RTH? Are you using it as an auto pilot when you know you have enough batteries to fly home? If that was the case, I would set it higher than anything around you.

If you’re just using it as an emergency measure to have it autonomously fly if it has a low battery, then you definitely want to set it as low as possible but also keeping in mind the characteristics of the site. If it is set too high and has to climb unnecessarily while doing the return, it might hit strong headwinds aloft and not make it back if it underestimates the power necessary for the RTH.

One should be thoroughly familiar with their surroundings anyway while they’re flying, and noticing that there’s headwinds aloft should be a part of the preflight check and one of the first things to check at the beginning of the flight.

Last edited:
Just be sure and remember that's 30m minus whatever gain in elevation you may incur if you fly over rising terrain.
Oh absolutely. I'm always very careful to plan and set my RTH behavior based on terrain and obstacles, particularly overhead obstacles in case I'm flying in tight quarters. Usually I'm well above 30m when I manually activate RTH. I've never had an RTH issue with any of my aircraft, even going back to my P3P. I've always found 30m to be a generally safe height for everyday use.

Reactions: Max Headroom
Oh absolutely. I'm always very careful to plan and set my RTH behavior based on terrain and obstacles, particularly overhead obstacles in case I'm flying in tight quarters. Usually I'm well above 30m when I manually activate RTH. I've never had an RTH issue with any of my aircraft, even going back to my P3P. I've always found 30m to be a generally safe height for everyday use.

Sounds good. All this caution is for the dreaded LOS RTH, which at that point we're at the mercy of DJI technology 😉

The fault was shared by OA and whoever chose the RTH height setting.
But you blamed RTH?
No I blamed myself for using RTH and not spotting the flag pole dead centre of camera. Pilot error all the way unfortunately and technology did its best to help my stupidity

Attachments

• Caernarfon_Castle.jpg
    Caernarfon_Castle.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Max Headroom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members