DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

RFo

Reactions
I will be filming in the Swiss Alps. I will fly down from Home Point 1500 meters into the valley maybe ca. 200 meters or less over ground. How high do I have to set the RTH in meters so that the Air 2 comes back safely. Thank you for your answer

Last edited:
Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

The RTH height is always in relation to the recorded home point ... so if you set the RTH height to 30m for instance & fly down 1500m into the valley the height reading will show negative 1500m & when down there command RTH the drone will ascend up 1530m (30m above your HP).

But be aware that this will most probably break the regulations due to that the RTH sequence is 1. Turn to HP 2. Ascend to RTH height (and here you will be 1530m above ground at a minimum) 3. start to travel back.

Thank you for the information. If I understand this correctly, the RTH will work.
According to the rules, one should stay within sight of the drone, which should be about 120m.
The drone in my RTH example, however, flies first back the negative meters to the home point and from the home point another 30m above.
(so I hope so). Question; it's this the same calculation as if I'm flying up from the HomePoint 1500m to the top. Thank you for your help and nice greetings to Sweden

Hi there & welcome to the forum [emoji112] :D

The RTH height is always in relation to the recorded home point ... so if you set the RTH height to 30m for instance & fly down 1500m into the valley the height reading will show negative 1500m & when down there command RTH the drone will ascend up 1530m (30m above your HP).

But be aware that this will most probably break the regulations due to that the RTH sequence is 1. Turn to HP 2. Ascend to RTH height (and here you will be 1530m above ground at a minimum) 3. start to travel back.
Not quite. Although most of the time the HP is the same as TO, the HP can be changed during flight.
Flight altitude in the app is always relative to takeoff, since the altimeter is set to zero at TO. There is some drift by as much as 10ft.

Reactions: slup
Thank you for the information. If I understand this correctly, the RTH will work.
According to the rules, one should stay within sight of the drone, which should be about 120m.
The drone in my RTH example, however, flies first back the negative meters to the home point and from the home point another 30m above.
(so I hope so). Question; it's this the same calculation as if I'm flying up from the HomePoint 1500m to the top. Thank you for your help and nice greetings to Sweden
Assuming you're far enough away from HP, RTH will first go to RTH set altitude relative to TO. Then the AC will turn towards HP, then start flying to HP.

If your RTH is set to 30m, and you fly 30m below TO, then trigger RTH, the AC will ascend 60m (-30m to TO zero, plus 30m RTH setting). This assumes you're far enough away from HP. Different RTH rules apply when RTH activates close to HP.

I will be filming in the Swiss Alps. I will fly down from Home Point 1500 meters into the valley maybe ca. 200 meters or less over ground. How high do I have to set the RTH in meters so that the Air 2 comes back safely. Thank you for your answer
As far as I could sort it out, the max altitude for Mavic 2 Pro is 5000m above the sea level, however it is 500m from the Home point recorded. DJI GO 4 doesn't allow you to set up max altitude above 500m.

At the same time local authorities, like CASA in Australia allows your drone fly not above 120m above the ground level.

So, if you're in the wild mountains about 4,500m above the sea level and not in a national park etc.etc. you can technically fly another 500m height.

Thank you for the info. I am looking forward to having my first experiences in the big mountains so any preliminary information is of great use.
Greetings to the beautiful Australia

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman