DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Salem Oregon any one?

mraroid

Reactions
Hello... I am new to all of this. I just ordered a Mavic Mini. I am looking for any piolets in the area that would want to fly together. Thanks

mraroid, Salem, Oregon

Hello... I am new to all of this. I just ordered a Mavic Mini. I am looking for any piolets in the area that would want to fly together. Thanks

mraroid, Salem, Oregon
I’m new to it all too, and in Salem Oregon. I have about 12 flights under my belt with myMavic Mini, all in the area of our home. It would be good to get farther away. But so far, so good — no crashes and no drama. But I’m cautious. What are your thoughts about where, when, and how to fly in tandem?

Hello VLL.... My mini arrived and I have made a few flights in my living room. If the weather is good, I was looking forward to taking it outside, to a open field or park some place and do some more flying. I usualy go to the gym on Saturday morning but have Saturday afternoon free. I am free all day on Sunday. Also, I am free on tuesday and thursday. I moved here from Portland and the house I bought has a small front and back yard, so that is why I wanted to take it out in the open some place.

Flying tandem sounds great! I have installed a 128 GB micro SD card in my mini and it formatted just fine. With our two drones, we could film each others drone.

I will try to figure out how to send you a private message on this forum with my phone number and email address. Yea, lets put out heads together and fly.

mraroid

Maybe after we are out of danger from the Covid-19 we can all get together for either a cup of coffee or lunch and share our drone experiences....???

I kind of gave up on it as when the pandemic started it appeared that foks didn't want to get together. It would be nice if some of us could meet up to fly or just discuss what we are doing with our drones. I see you are a ham.

I was thinking crickets might be C-19 related, understandably so. I'm retired with more time on my hands, I live out near Aumsville and fly mainly on our property and local farmers fields, lots of wide-open spaces out there... <smile> Would be nice to exchange thoughts and ideas though, I recently thinking of upgrading to a DJI-FPV or maybe an Air 2s, still scratching my head. Re, Ham Radio, yes, I've been a Ham for many years, I flew RC planes and boats using exclusive 'Ham Frequencies' many times in the years gone by, however, nowadays it's all about Spread Sprectrum and 2.4 GHz frequencies. I am amazed at DJI's Ocusync 2.0, I could never imagine the range from our old FM transmitters... <sheesh>

What are your thoughts?

~Michael
Email: [email protected]

I was thinking crickets might be C-19 related, understandably so. I'm retired with more time on my hands, I live out near Aumsville and fly mainly on our property and local farmers fields, lots of wide-open spaces out there... <smile> Would be nice to exchange thoughts and ideas though, I recently thinking of upgrading to a DJI-FPV or maybe an Air 2s, still scratching my head. Re, Ham Radio, yes, I've been a Ham for many years, I flew RC planes and boats using exclusive 'Ham Frequencies' many times in the years gone by, however, nowadays it's all about Spread Sprectrum and 2.4 GHz frequencies. I am amazed at DJI's Ocusync 2.0, I could never imagine the range from our old FM transmitters... <sheesh>

What are your thoughts?

~Michael
Email: [email protected]

I live west of the Enchanted Forest and also fly at times on my property. However, unlike your wide open fields (lucky guy! :) ) my range is severtly limited due to many trees. I'm always a bit nervous flying at my home base! I also have the want to upgrade to an Air2S, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My email is: NR7U@ gmail.com. As you can see I also have my license but haven't been active for awhile. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Stan

Hmmmm my mail bounced to [email protected], I'll just post it here...

Hello NR7U, a pleasure to meet you~!~ Is this an addictive hobby or what??? I’ve got a Mini 2 and was so surprised at how controlled the flight was. I’ve got a friend who flies FPV via home build drones, wow, I was completely amazed at how agile he was with his drones~!~ He let me ‘Try’ one and it was enough to get me hooked but that said, I was totally out of my league… It would be like handing the controller of an RC plane over to a person who had never flown before. The goggles were a mind-blowing trip to use but I was still light years behind him regarding control of the craft. But, as I said, the bug had bitten and I was on a roll, so to speak. I’ve got an upgrade in the works too, maybe I should get my part 107 first… maybe… maybe not… <Grin>

My Mini 2, after many flights, still amazes me. You really don’t fly it, you actually position it in the sky. But it’s the photography that really amazed me. In the past, I was deep into darkroom work and photography so the quality of the imagery was important and the Mini 2 did not disappoint me. We live next to the Aumsville Ponds, and I can hop over to the ponds for some really scenic pictures. If you look at “Aumsville Ponds” on Google Maps, you’ll see where I live. I’m on the lake adjacent to the Ponds, ours is called El Laguna. My position next to the other ponds really makes for some enjoyable flying. I’m always on the watch for our nesting pair of Bald Eagles; they have a nest next to our pond. So far, there’s been no conflict but I’m always on the lookout for them and never fly when they are present. Also, as a side note, RC boats are a kick here on the lakes too~!~

I took a peek at your place on G.maps and goodness, you really are in a cluster of trees, I bet it’s beautiful though, although tough to fly in. We have our share of trees but I find elevation solves some of those issues, plus the lakes are free from any obstacles. When I want to cut loose so to speak, I head over to one of many huge fields to fly in. Here’s my current field of choice; <44.825598, -122.850996>, it’s big enough to really practice some of the canned routines DJI has for the Mini 2. I have not figured out who owns it yet as I’ve never seen anyone there, it’s pretty quiet out there. I should make an effort to find whoever owns it for permission. I would also like to secure permission on more than one field in case one is being worked.

Fine Business on the ticket~!~ I’m not too active either, although I have a station set up, more or less. I’ve got a Kenwood TS-440S, an Icom IC-756PRO, and a few others, older gear but functional. Lately, I’ve been watching the weather balloons on 401.40 MHz, the afternoon balloon and its sonde were just launched from the Salem airport at 3 pm and it’s southeast of Silverton scooting east as I type. A few of the local hams chase them when they're close, my buddy has found quite a few of them, I’ve only found one but I’ve only been watching for a little over a year. The technology is pretty interesting. I listen to it with my SDRplay RSPdx receiver. I don’t know how involved you are in Amateur Radio, but the new Computer-controlled digital receivers are pretty amazing. I’m a hard-core geek, I’ve been a techie for over 50 years and counting. Been a solder junkie since 1968, but first licensed in about 1980.

OK, I’m getting wordy now; my wife says I’m chatty… Hahahaha She’s right though… Life’s full of so many interesting things~!~ It would be fun to talk and/or fly somewhere… What are your thoughts?

~AF7U

Hmmmm my mail bounced to [email protected], I'll just post it here...

Hello NR7U, a pleasure to meet you~!~ Is this an addictive hobby or what??? I’ve got a Mini 2 and was so surprised at how controlled the flight was. I’ve got a friend who flies FPV via home build drones, wow, I was completely amazed at how agile he was with his drones~!~ He let me ‘Try’ one and it was enough to get me hooked but that said, I was totally out of my league… It would be like handing the controller of an RC plane over to a person who had never flown before. The goggles were a mind-blowing trip to use but I was still light years behind him regarding control of the craft. But, as I said, the bug had bitten and I was on a roll, so to speak. I’ve got an upgrade in the works too, maybe I should get my part 107 first… maybe… maybe not… <Grin>

My Mini 2, after many flights, still amazes me. You really don’t fly it, you actually position it in the sky. But it’s the photography that really amazed me. In the past, I was deep into darkroom work and photography so the quality of the imagery was important and the Mini 2 did not disappoint me. We live next to the Aumsville Ponds, and I can hop over to the ponds for some really scenic pictures. If you look at “Aumsville Ponds” on Google Maps, you’ll see where I live. I’m on the lake adjacent to the Ponds, ours is called El Laguna. My position next to the other ponds really makes for some enjoyable flying. I’m always on the watch for our nesting pair of Bald Eagles; they have a nest next to our pond. So far, there’s been no conflict but I’m always on the lookout for them and never fly when they are present. Also, as a side note, RC boats are a kick here on the lakes too~!~

I took a peek at your place on G.maps and goodness, you really are in a cluster of trees, I bet it’s beautiful though, although tough to fly in. We have our share of trees but I find elevation solves some of those issues, plus the lakes are free from any obstacles. When I want to cut loose so to speak, I head over to one of many huge fields to fly in. Here’s my current field of choice; <44.825598, -122.850996>, it’s big enough to really practice some of the canned routines DJI has for the Mini 2. I have not figured out who owns it yet as I’ve never seen anyone there, it’s pretty quiet out there. I should make an effort to find whoever owns it for permission. I would also like to secure permission on more than one field in case one is being worked.

Fine Business on the ticket~!~ I’m not too active either, although I have a station set up, more or less. I’ve got a Kenwood TS-440S, an Icom IC-756PRO, and a few others, older gear but functional. Lately, I’ve been watching the weather balloons on 401.40 MHz, the afternoon balloon and its sonde were just launched from the Salem airport at 3 pm and it’s southeast of Silverton scooting east as I type. A few of the local hams chase them when they're close, my buddy has found quite a few of them, I’ve only found one but I’ve only been watching for a little over a year. The technology is pretty interesting. I listen to it with my SDRplay RSPdx receiver. I don’t know how involved you are in Amateur Radio, but the new Computer-controlled digital receivers are pretty amazing. I’m a hard-core geek, I’ve been a techie for over 50 years and counting. Been a solder junkie since 1968, but first licensed in about 1980.

OK, I’m getting wordy now; my wife says I’m chatty… Hahahaha She’s right though… Life’s full of so many interesting things~!~ It would be fun to talk and/or fly somewhere… What are your thoughts?

~AF7U
Hey Mike, so sorry about the email snafu, my screw-up! I gave you my q.com address. My gmail is [email protected]. Can you resend the email to that address as some of the stuff didn't come out in the forum message. I'll reply to places I fly. I don't think we should tie this thread up with PMs. Looking forward to hearing from you via email

Hi all....I'm a new member but been flying my Air 2 for 2 years now. I live about 30 miles north of Salem, but I spend most of my droning time either at the Coast (usually Lincoln City area) or in the Columbia River Gorge when winds allow. Love flying the drone in the beautiful areas of the local PNW area.... that's what it's all about to me.

Look forward to seeing y'all around, whether it's here on the forum or perhaps some time in the future in person while droning!

Steve

Reactions: Roger.Joys
Hi all....I'm a new member but been flying my Air 2 for 2 years now. I live about 30 miles north of Salem, but I spend most of my droning time either at the Coast (usually Lincoln City area) or in the Columbia River Gorge when winds allow. Love flying the drone in the beautiful areas of the local PNW area.... that's what it's all about to me.

Look forward to seeing y'all around, whether it's here on the forum or perhaps some time in the future in person while droning!

Steve
Hi Steve....I sure hope all us "locals" can get together one day for a group fly!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54