DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Salt water and corrosion

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I like to dismantle things, because of this a friend gave me a Mavic 2 Pro that was in the sea for a day or two.
My goodness, the light metal alloy corrosion was staggering, especially near and or around steel screws, I guess there was electrolytic action taking place.
The rear sensor array's frame was basically a puddle of mush.
Most of the ribbon-cable male flat plug-in connectors delaminated and some of the females even came off their circuit boards.

Realistically only the plastic components are salvageable, the motors are jammed solid with sand or something. I might be able to salvage the arm springs.

So, if anyone is ever tempted to buy a sea soaked drone for any thing other than plastics.....don't pay much, lol.

I didn't expect the camera innards to survive so I opened its midsection which exposed what I think is the sensor, whatever it is it is water marked and there is fine sediment in the lens assembly.

I am now curious what would have happened, corrosion wise, if the drone had been recovered immediately, dismantled and thoroughly washed in clean water and Isopropyl Alchohol.

It was / is an interesting dismantle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
This is the heat sink for the fan

Attachments

• mavic 2 heat sink corrosion.jpg
    mavic 2 heat sink corrosion.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 8
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics