DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

San Gemignano, Toscana, Italy

Man, I wish they had drones back when I was at that beautiful place. Well done!

Hi, I'm going to Tuscany myself in a couple of weeks. I noticed you flew around the village but not over it directly. You launched and landed from some place well outside?

Do you now what the rules are? I would assume they generally wouldn't want you to say orbit around those towers or even more famous ones like the Duomo in Florence?

I can respect those rules but I'd like to say launch from the other side of the Arno river and maybe shoot the Duomo and other buildings while maybe flying above the river.

@wc081: You can find the updated rules here: Italy Drone Laws (2019) | UAV Systems International or there: Fly drones in Italy for fun: what you can, what you can't - DronEzine
The free android app "Italian Airspace lite" that was giving the map of drones' flight restrictions is unfortunately no longer accessible on the google playstore. But I think that the Pro version (Italian Airspace Pro) is still available.
For my shooting of San Gimignano, I used a Mavic 2 Zoom and I only flew far from the city.
Toscany is wonderful and I'm sure you'll have many good opportunities to fly your drone! Good luck!

Thanks good links.

I did contact some towns and Florence linked me to a permit application, with a 30 Euro fee. Apparently I can apply to fly over certain areas.

Not sure I will apply. Maybe best just to try to find launch and landing points outside the walls of these towns and orbit around them outside.

I'm new at this and a lot of times, I'd be content just to get high enough above foliage and trees to get better views and take panos, not try any fancy paths to record video.

Thanks good links.

I did contact some towns and Florence linked me to a permit application, with a 30 Euro fee. Apparently I can apply to fly over certain areas.

Not sure I will apply. Maybe best just to try to find launch and landing points outside the walls of these towns and orbit around them outside.

I'm new at this and a lot of times, I'd be content just to get high enough above foliage and trees to get better views and take panos, not try any fancy paths to record video.
In Italy, there is the ENAC regulation that doesn't allow to fly over any city, group of people, street, ecc. is very restrictive. I suggest you to pay attention to those roules. I think is impossible to fly over a monument in the center of Florence or in Venice..

(apology mi English)

Andrea, from Turin

Thanks Andrea.

BTW, there are discussions in other places.

To them, they think ANY drone use, over property that one doesn't own or rent, is illegal.

You have to keep it within 150 meters and that means you have to fly only over land that you own or rent.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose