DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sandisk Ultra / Sandisk extreme. Slow SD Card?

Just an update guys, When I first had this problem, I ordered the samsung U3 card for $23 -- I no longer get the message, even recording 4K. The sandisks "seem" to work fine now (even at 4k), although I get the "slow SD card" message.

I find it interesting that DJI will cheap out and supply a card that will not support their product.

When I bought my Mavic Air I had plenty of U1’s but after noticing the slight choppiness I looked back in the manual and realized that the Drone “Supports U1 cards but “Recommends” U3. Haven’t had an issue since I replaced it with a Sandisk 128 U3.

I use the Samsung evo plus 128gb read 100mb and write 90mb still no receive the slow card warning.

I would suggest to stop reading into the names of the cards and stress the importance of understanding and focusing on their ratings.

First of all:

MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit

Mbps = MegaBITS per second
MBps = MegaBYTES per second
MB/s = MegaBYTES per second

There are 8 Megabits in a Megabyte.

UHS = Ultra High Speed bus. It has 3 classes, and most cards you see will be UHS-I depicted by the roman numeral "1" on the card. Class 1 (I) is more than enough.

UHS Class = This is where you see the number inside the "U". What you want is a UHS-1 Class 3 (U3) card. Think of it as a sub-class of the UHS rating. The number denotes the minimum sustained write speed (i.e. U3 = 30MB/s)

V = Video Speed Class. The number following the V corresponds to the minimum sustained write speed (i.e. V30 is 30MB/s, V60 is 60MB/s and so on).

A = a designation for minimum sustained write speed AND minimum read/write IOPS. A1 is fine for the Mavic Air provided it is also a V30/U3 card. Don't worry about this one too much.

The only thing that really matters for video recording is minimum sustained write speed, which is not advertised explicitly. Everyone always looks at maximum transfer/read speed which is what the manufactures are quick to advertise, but means nothing for this application.

For the Mavic Air, you need a card that has a minimum sustained write speed of at least 12.5 MB/s (100Mbps), and having a buffer there for momentary drops in write speed is also important. You cannot look at maximum advertised transfer speed and infer anything from that.

Class 10 / V10 /U1 cards are not fast enough - they only guarantee sustained write speeds of 10 MB/s.

You need V30 / U3 cards which guarantee a sustained write speed of 30MB/s (240Mbps) which is more than enough to cover the Mavic Air in 4K/30.

Once you understand the ratings, you will never have memory card speed issues again unless the card itself is defective.

These cards are my go-to:

SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I microSDXC Memory SDSQXAF-064G-GN6MA

Reactions: Lucianoandre
Hi. Are you saying that the Sandisk Ultra works well on the Mavic Air?

Sandisk Ultras are not a good choice, they cannot maintain a sustained write speed fast enoug for the Mavic Air. They are rated at a maximum sustained write speed of only 10 MB/s and the Air needs at least 12.5 MB/s. Just follow the labels :)

So far been using Samsung u3's and never had an issue.

Hi guys im new here, currently im having issues recording videos on my mavic pro 2 zoom. I used my old sand disk memory card extrem pro. Everytime i record a video H.256 these message came up. Thanks in advance and more power!

Attachments

• A3B47FA1-BAA9-41DD-B738-035CBD8BBF41.png
    A3B47FA1-BAA9-41DD-B738-035CBD8BBF41.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 59D3C1E5-67C1-4DB3-B3C0-9605AEF3D9D7.png
    59D3C1E5-67C1-4DB3-B3C0-9605AEF3D9D7.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 38
I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32gb U1card and get the slow SD error flashing up. The video records ok though but is a little choppy when turning but someone else mentioned this was due to shutter speed and not using a ND filter.

Two questions:
1. I have a Samsung 64gb U3 card coming soon, will I notice any better video quality when I swap the Sandisk for the Samsung? How come you need to format the card in the Mavic?
2. I was flying over a grassed oval today and the colours kept chaning from the correct colour green to a pale green almost no green colour? I was not panning up or down but just flying over it with the gimbal aimed down. What causes this colour variation?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph