DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Satellite connection

prestonrich

Reactions
Where can you see the number of satellites connected? Pressing on the sat icon, if red, does not expand for more sat information. Do both the controller and drone need 9 or more connected data to fly?

My intention is, during cold spells, to put the drone on the outside porch for flight and operate the controller from inside the balcony room. I actually tried this method earlier and once the drone was out about 1/4 mile away I lost sat connection and nearly crashed. Is there something I can do to operate the drone in this manner? Emergency RTH in signal loss mode would not work as the balcony has a roof preventing a vertical landing. I usually land manually flying it into the porch.

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
You can always reset your RTH to a new location

Where can you see the number of satellites connected?
Do both the controller and drone need 9 or more connected data to fly?
Top of your screen for number of satellites and your drone should always have more sats than it needs as long as it's out in the open with a good sky view.
Do both the controller and drone need 9 or more connected data to fly?
The controller doesn't have any GPS receiver and doesn't need satellites (or a sky view).
My intention is, during cold spells, to put the drone on the outside porch for flight and operate the controller from inside the balcony room.
Is there something I can do to operate the drone in this manner?
Emergency RTH in signal loss mode would not work as the balcony has a roof preventing a vertical landing. I usually land manually flying it into the porch.
You could fly from indoors, but you need a clear, unobstructed line of sight between the controller and the drone to maintain signal.
If you want to ensure a safe landing spot for Failsafe RTH, launch from somewhere outside, that's clear of obstacles and then go inside.

Another interesting development is that once, when I only had 7 sat connections, I found a link to add the Gallileo sat. The sat indicator then immediately began to show 13 connections! Why on earth?

Top of your screen for number of satellites and your drone should always have more sats than it needs as long as it's out in the open with a good sky view.

The controller doesn't have any GPS receiver and doesn't need satellites (or a sky view).

You could fly from indoors, but you need a clear, unobstructed line of sight between the controller and the drone to maintain signal.
If you want to ensure a safe landing spot for Failsafe RTH, launch from somewhere outside, that's clear of obstacles and then go inside.

...but if I then go inside I’ll lose sight of the drone, which is fine since I fly by the controller screen. Did you mean that the drone needs clear shot to the sky, or does the drone also have to always be in view of the controller to maintain connection?

Last edited:
Another interesting development is that once, when I only had 7 sat connections, I found a link to add the Gallileo sat. The sat indicator then immediately began to show 13 connections! Why on earth?
The real question is why you only had 7 satellites?
That number is very low and would normally only be seen if your drone had an obstructed skyview or you'd only just powered it up.
...but if I then go inside I’ll lose sight of the drone.
If you don't have a clear, unobstructed line of sight to where the drone is flying from inside the balcony room, you won't be able to fly from there.

when I only had 7 sat connections, I found a link to add the Gallileo sat. The sat indicator then immediately began to show 13 connections!

Have never heard about this feature. My understanding has been that the selection of satellite systems is automatically done. Can you elaborate more on what you saw ? is "the link" a pop-up window in the FLY app or something else ?

Have never heard about this feature. My understanding has been that the selection of satellite systems is automatically done. Can you elaborate more on what you saw ? is "the link" a pop-up window in the FLY app or something else ?
I think the Galileo option was in the setup menu somewhere...but definitely saw it and checked the box.it was the only sat that had its own check box.

Reactions: Yukon Flyer
Well, regardless of the type of satelites, I wish they would change the font color so I can see how many I actually have .. its nearly impossible for my eyes. Same deal like the battery with a touchable icon/menu would be great.

Reactions: MA2 317
There's no mention of Gallileo in the specs.
The specs only say: Satellite Systems GPS+GLONASS

With just GPS+GLONASS you should be seeing 16-22 sats most of the time with an unobstructed sky view.

I've found lately, especially with my mini, that it can take a full minute or two to lock in on enough satellites on the first flight for the session.

Where can you see the number of satellites connected? Pressing on the sat icon, if red, does not expand for more sat information. Do both the controller and drone need 9 or more connected data to fly?

My intention is, during cold spells, to put the drone on the outside porch for flight and operate the controller from inside the balcony room. I actually tried this method earlier and once the drone was out about 1/4 mile away I lost sat connection and nearly crashed. Is there something I can do to operate the drone in this manner? Emergency RTH in signal loss mode would not work as the balcony has a roof preventing a vertical landing. I usually land manually flying it into the porch.
You seriously intend on standing inside while flying your drone? And you expect nothing to go wrong? Wow.

You might also use UAV Forecast app on your cell phone. It will tell how many satellites are visible based on time of day and your location.

You might also use UAV Forecast app on your cell phone. It will tell how many satellites are visible based on time of day and your location.
That's not really necessary.
Wherever you are, there will always be plenty more sats than you need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earthflute