DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Save a single waypoint time lapse?

Kyle76

Reactions
I'd like to do a construction project time lapse over several months, taking shots from the same spot every few days. I'm thinking a series of 5-second clips that I could merge together. The problem is I don't really want the camera to move, as I think that would be distracting, but I do want the drone in the same spot for each clip. How can I save a mission that has no camera motion so that I can rerun it over time?

Reactions: Paul Harvey
I'd like to do a construction project time lapse over several months, taking shots from the same spot every few days. I'm thinking a series of 5-second clips that I could merge together. The problem is I don't really want the camera to move, as I think that would be distracting, but I do want the drone in the same spot for each clip. How can I save a mission that has no camera motion so that I can rerun it over time?
Do it manually.
1) turn on the FPV grid and center cross
2) position the aircraft by pointing the gimbal down and selecting a spot on the ground that is repeatable.
3) record your altitude
4) adjust the gimbal and AC yaw to the view you want.
5) note where the FPV grids align with recognizable land marks, both horizontally and vertically.
6) take screen shots to aid in remembering these locations, angles and landmarks,
7) take your shot
8) on subsequent flights, repeat the position, altitude and gimbal field of view.

I think you could use hyperlapse mode to help you but you cant create and save a 1 waypoint hyprlapse. What you could do is make a very short 2 waypoint hyperlapse with the 2nd point as your preferred framing for the construction shot. Run the hyperlapse and after its over the camera will stay at the second waypoint. Manually take your photos while it hovers using a watch or phone to keep the intervals consistent. Then you can toss out the auto-hyperlapse and use the manual photos. Come back another day and repeat.

I think you could use hyperlapse mode to help you but you cant create and save a 1 waypoint hyprlapse. What you could do is make a very short 2 waypoint hyperlapse with the 2nd point as your preferred framing for the construction shot. Run the hyperlapse and after its over the camera will stay at the second waypoint. Manually take your photos while it hovers using a watch or phone to keep the intervals consistent. Then you can toss out the auto-hyperlapse and use the manual photos. Come back another day and repeat.
I think your idea would work to get the drone into the same position each time, then I could set up a free-flying hyperlapse to actually take the shots so I’m not standing there manually clicking the shutter 100 or so times.

Reactions: dthreee
You could note the GPS coordinates. Then just use the timed photo mode option: one shot every five seconds until the cows come home

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If anyone else is interested, this method works quite well (it seems complicated, but it's actually quite simple):
1. Fly to the spot from which you want to film and frame your shot.
2. Set that as the first waypoint in a Waypoint hyperlapse mission.
3. Move to the right or left to where you can set a second waypoint.
4. Run the mission. The drone will return to the first waypoint, but as soon as filming starts, hit the red shutter button to end the mission.
5. Set up a Free hyperlapse mission with the drone at that waypoint and shoot at whatever parameters you wish.
6. Rename the hyperlapse mission (it automatically saves its name as a timestamp) so that you can identify it later in the saved missions list.
7. Anytime you want to take a hyperlapse from that same spot, run the saved hyperlapse mission, but as soon as it takes the first picture, cancel the mission by pressing the red shutter button and run another Free hyperlapse mission from that spot.
8. Save all of the Free hyperlapse missions and combine them sequentially into a single movie.

If anyone else is interested, this method works quite well (it seems complicated, but it's actually quite simple):
1. Fly to the spot from which you want to film and frame your shot.
2. Set that as the first waypoint in a Waypoint hyperlapse mission.
3. Move to the right or left to where you can set a second waypoint.
4. Run the mission. The drone will return to the first waypoint, but as soon as filming starts, hit the red shutter button to end the mission.
5. Set up a Free hyperlapse mission with the drone at that waypoint and shoot at whatever parameters you wish.
6. Rename the hyperlapse mission (it automatically saves its name as a timestamp) so that you can identify it later in the saved missions list.
7. Anytime you want to take a hyperlapse from that same spot, run the saved hyperlapse mission, but as soon as it takes the first picture, cancel the mission by pressing the red shutter button and run another Free hyperlapse mission from that spot.
8. Save all of the Free hyperlapse missions and combine them sequentially into a single movie.

That's what I was thinking, but I worried it would say, "not enough shots to process" and not give you the photo.

The first hyperlapse is not even produced. It just gets the drone into a saved position for taking the second single-point timelapse.

Based on all the above ideas, apparently I need to try out the waypoint function of the M2 (I only have 3 test flights so far).

My previous experience with waypoints on the M1 showed how incredibly inconsistent it is, especially for merging shots by replicating a field of view. And you can forget about any kind of camera yaw direction accuracy, and zero pitch.

If it turns out like all of you describe, an M2 is a very different animal.

Just get Litchi and all the cool things it can do..it does that!

This guy wins at best advice. Litchi waypoint mission combined with video stabilizer on any good video editor and you'll achieve the results you want.

When SDK is released Litchi will work within weeks for the MA2, but DL can do the job as well. Looks like that date is Dec-Jan.

This still has not happened, correct? Also, what happens if you setup a waypoint mission (either in DJI Fly's current hyperlapse mode or if/when MA2 gets Litchi support) that is not within range of your controller. I believe with older drones it did not matter ... it would fly the mission regardless, right? Thx!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121