DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SC verse standard controller pros/ cons

cknipp

Reactions
Hello folks!

I want to know the pros and cons between the smart controller and the standard controller. I understand the smart controller is a dedicated device and you’re ready to fly as soon as you power on the drone. However, does the standard controller have greater connectivity and range?

I currently own a Mavic mini. I’m looking to upgrade. Looking at the Mavic air 2S if I want to be conservative with my budget.

Not sure if the MP3 will be worth the extra $ for me personally. If so, I’m again wondering about SC verse standard differences.

Thanks for help!

CKnipp

......... if I want to be conservative with my budget........
then stick with the std controller.
What percentage of the cost of a MA2S is a smart controller? I'd bet a fair whack. I'd guess it adds at least $500 USD to the price of the drone and std controllers don't fetch a large amount second hand.
Don't get sucked in by the "oh it's the thing to have" ideaology.
What are your good, solid, practical reasons for wanting it?

Reactions: cknipp
I wouldn't bother. I had the SC for the Air 2S but sold it after a few flights. Poor connection quality and choppy video feed. I believe this to be unique to the Air 2S though as it worked fine with my Mini 2.
At the end of the day the benefits just didn't add up to the price once I had it in my hand.

Reactions: cknipp
Thanks for reply. The main reason at first was instant connection and they made it sound like the connection and range is great and screen brightness. Yet, it seems I’ve heard the contrary from real pilots. Is it true that the range and connectivity is better on the standard controller?

For me, the range and connection quality were vastly superior with the standard controller and iPhone.
Also, one of the other benefits - being able to quickly switch between craft - is actually more of a pain in the *** than they lead you to believe. Every time I wanted to switch from my Air 2S to my Mini 2 I had to rebind the mini 2. Then when I wanted to fly the Air 2S I had to rebind that.

For me, the range and connection quality were vastly superior with the standard controller and iPhone.
Also, one of the other benefits - being able to quickly switch between craft - is actually more of a pain in the *** than they lead you to believe. Every time I wanted to switch from my Air 2S to my Mini 2 I had to rebind the mini 2. Then when I wanted to fly the Air 2S I had to rebind that.
Thanks! Good to know.

I have an MA2 with the SC. My SC had to go in for repair (had a calibration issue and DJI replaced it under warranty...no trouble since!) and I got a standard controller from EBay to use in the meantime. It was prime flying season over the summer and I hated to lose a couple of weeks. So I have experience with both.

Using the standard controller was manageable with a sunshade and my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone. One time my phone did overhead and slowed down and caused the app to lag severely so I had to bring it and pack it up for the day.

Aside from the obvious differences, bright screen, quick setup, no overheating issues, I find the sticks to be much smoother on the SC. I am at a point where I can do smooth orbits around moving objects manually. With the standard controller, I was really struggling. I figured I was having a bad day. When my replacement SC came and I first tested it out, I immediately realized the issue wasn't me having a bad day, it was the smoother control I have with the sticks on the SC.

I have had some laggy video on the FPV feed on occasion, but I fixed that by changing the feed from HD to Smooth. Smooth is more than enough. While flying, I can't tell the difference between the two anyway. I also turned off the video caching. I have no lag issues at all now. Interestingly enough, on my phone the map would lag...the map never lags on my SC.

Regarding range, I could get maybe an extra 100-200m on my standard controller. Based on what I had read online, I expected my range would double with the standard controller...not even close. My range on my SC is more than sufficient. Let's just say I can get to the very limit of my VLOS and still have full bars on my signal even if I am in an area with a bunch of trees.

The SC may be "outdated tech", but it is good enough to run DJI Fly well...which is its job. The only other app I have on there is AirData so I can upload my flight data.

A big downside is it is expensive. I happened to get a great deal on a Fly More version with the SC. If I had to purchase the SC separately, the cost probably would have been a bridge too far.

I think the suggestion to wait for the new one that is coming out is sound, especially since you are getting an A2S. A big downside with the A2S and the SC is the SC only supports Occusync 2.0.

Reactions: Bandit1 and DUAS
I fly a Mavic 2 Pro, and bought the Smart Controller because I was increasingly having problems seeing my iPad in bright sunlight. The extra screen brightness is amazing, at least to my aging eyes.

The setup time is a little better, but honestly not enough to make a significant difference given the need for unfolding the drone and preflight checks.

Haven't noticed a range difference, but I'm in Canada where the limit is lesser of 500m or VLOS, so I've never felt the need to push it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov