DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared myself yesterday

JMC3

Reactions
I was in the process of video recording some mountainous hills when i got the message “signal loss.” Fortunately the drone returned to home. I had previously flown further with no issue so it was disconcerting to have this happen. After reviewing and checking various things at home i called a buddy of mine and he suggested that my smart controller antennas were probably folded incorrectly. Since everything was ok after checking everything else there was an immediate ? face palm…flying later proved him right.
BTW. I checked airspace before flying i was in a remote area of New Mexico no conflicts

I was in the process of video recording some mountainous hills when i got the message “signal loss.” Fortunately the drone returned to home. I had previously flown further with no issue so it was disconcerting to have this happen. After reviewing and checking various things at home i called a buddy of mine and he suggested that my smart controller antennas were probably folded incorrectly. Since everything was ok after checking everything else there was an immediate ? face palm…flying later proved him right.
BTW. I checked airspace before flying i was in a remote area of New Mexico no conflicts
Loss of signal happens ALL THE TIME for almost every drone pilot. Something you kind of get used to, wait for a few seconds to see what happens - whether signal comes back and keep on droning or it initiates RTH. Loss of signal happens almost anywhere, anytime due to multiple reasons - not just your antennae.

Once the drone typically initiates RTH, it will rise high enough (depending on how YOU set up RTH parameters) above any possible obstructions / metallic objects (seem to be worst offender) and signal will return on return. Once it does, keep on flying or as you did let it come home. Your choice.

Reactions: maggior and pommy
JMC, just curious. Where in NM were you flying. I also live in NM in Corrales.

Dan
I belong to a group that has gold claims on BLM land. Everyone has free access to BLM land it's just knowing where and which gate you can go through and where the BLM land is. One place I fly my drone is about three miles east of Golden NM in the hills. With regards to my loss of signal It was due to a stupid mistake. When I change batteries I fold the antennas on the controller back and under to avoid damage. I just forgot to un-fold them. It wont happen again If your interested in where it is and how to get in just PM me.

They make relatively cheap passive antenna boosters that just slip over you antennas and have a larger surface area. I use them all the time just to be sure, can't hurt

I have that happen if I fly in areas near a no fly zone or with lots of power lines, transformers so forth. I can usually hit the red button on the RC and return to normal GPS MODE, but it is disconcerting. I just ordered the antenna signal enhancers suggested below. Someone said to turn the antenna dowward with flat side facing outward. My RC for my Mavic 2 PRO does not allow that.

I have that happen if I fly in areas near a no fly zone or with lots of power lines, transformers so forth. I can usually hit the red button on the RC and return to normal GPS MODE, but it is disconcerting. I just ordered the antenna signal enhancers suggested below. Someone said to turn the antenna dowward with flat side facing outward. My RC for my Mavic 2 PRO does not allow that.
Flying in areas of heavy wi-fi traffic (such as congested residential areas) really clobbers signal range. In my neighborhood, I'm good out to little more than a mile before I start to get LOS dropouts.

Reactions: maggior
Flying in areas of heavy wi-fi traffic (such as congested residential areas) really clobbers signal range. In my neighborhood, I'm good out to little more than a mile before I start to get LOS dropouts.
I can push about 1/2 a mile here in London

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada