DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary question

Not sure, but I think it would depend on the angle of impact between the props and the nylon envelope of the balloon as to whether it could slice though or not. The material should survive a few instances of being dragged across the ground in sporting landings without needing replacement, so it's not that fragile.
IIRC, there is also re-inforcing stitching designed to stop tears from spreading too far.

Even if it if did cause a tear, there's already a massive hole at the top of the balloon that is opened and closed to control altitude, so I don't think any damage inflicted by a drone would be sufficient to bring the balloon down. It might mean there is a bit more leakage of hot air, so more use of the burner to maintain height and a shorter flight as a result.

And a large repair bill, of course.

Not sure on repair cost if the ballon is cut, but at purchase costs of $20K - $50K for the balloon I’ll let the OP figure this one out.
Testing doesn't need a live balloon ... just a piece of balloon material.

I would say "No" as the fabric on hot air balloons is made out of ripstop nylon and/or dacron. I've used this stuff for parachutes in amatuer rockets and it'll take a ton of abuse. I'd be surprised if you could even cut the stuff with the props.

If I didn't like them hot air balloons flying over my place I could think of better ways to get rid of them than attacking them with my M2P!

just kidding guys just kidding! LOL

On a more serious note I really doubt a M2P would pose any risk to the craft it's self but could pose a risk to the P.I.C. as well as the passengers. I'd stay way clear of them.

I'm glad this thread ended with two reasonable responses:

1) When I first read the question, I was like "is this a terrorist asking us how to take down a hot air balloon with a drone?"

2) It's against the law to fly your SUAV around manned aircraft. Avoid them.

Seriously, think before you post these questions in public.

1) When I first read the question, I was like "is this a terrorist asking us how to take down a hot air balloon with a drone?"

Are civilian manned aircraft required to stay over a certain height? I’ve seen helicopters and the planes that tow banners going to the shore at low heights.. possibly under 400 at times.

I used firehouse strobes when I was just outside the traffic pattern of a class g and the airplanes started getting closer to me like they were trying to figure out what I was.. I stayed well under 400 but I had to keep moving further away.

Do you think a drone ( In my case a Mavic 2 pro ) would slice its way through a hot air balloon?.

I'm on the same boat!!!
Sounds like some sort of a diabolical plan.

• Haha
Reactions: Amarand
I'm on the same boat!!!
Sounds like some sort of a diabolical plan.

A hot air balloon is a HUGE TARGET that you can easily steer clear of. There's no "oops" with impacting a hot air balloon, especially if you're staying within VLOS of your craft - which is the law.

If there are a lot of hot air balloons in the area, there are probably a lot of people on the ground providing support. So now you're flying too close to manned aircraft, and likely flying over crowds of people. Oh, the humanity.

The only thing that makes me worry a little less is that they used the word "would" (like "oops") versus "could" (as in: "could I slice my way through a hot air balloon with my Mavic if I wanted to?")

Are civilian manned aircraft required to stay over a certain height? I’ve seen helicopters and the planes that tow banners going to the shore at low heights.. possibly under 400 at times.

I used firehouse strobes when I was just outside the traffic pattern of a class g and the airplanes started getting closer to me like they were trying to figure out what I was.. I stayed well under 400 but I had to keep moving further away.

I think hot air balloons, because they are much slower and far less dangerous (if they crash), are allowed to fly much, much lower:

Cite: Hot Air Balloon Ride FAQs | Sky Drifters
HOW HIGH DO BALLOONS FLY?
The highest hot air balloon flight on record went to an altitude of 22,000 ft. However, the typical romantic or pleasure flight would fly from treetop level to a few thousand feet, depending on the wind speed and direction.

Hot air balloons and dirigibles move, on average, much, much slower than fixed wing and jets. I'm sure there's a physics reason why there are air corridors for jets and fixed wing. Perhaps it's the take-off, landing, air space management, that sort of thing? Whereas a balloon has the facility (physics requirement?) for vertical take-off and landing. You need an airstrip for take-off and landing for the other items.

I think hot air balloons, because they are much slower and far less dangerous (if they crash), are allowed to fly much, much lower:

Cite: Hot Air Balloon Ride FAQs | Sky Drifters

Hot air balloons and dirigibles move, on average, much, much slower than fixed wing and jets. I'm sure there's a physics reason why there are air corridors for jets and fixed wing. Perhaps it's the take-off, landing, air space management, that sort of thing? Whereas a balloon has the facility (physics requirement?) for vertical take-off and landing. You need an airstrip for take-off and landing for the other items.

I guess there's an official pamphlet for that? ?

For the most part, general aviation is required to stay above 500’ agl (that’s why we are limited to 400’) but, helicopters and crop dusters routinely fly below that.

The thing to remember is that the faa’s primary goal is protecting living humans. When in doubt, do the thing that poses the least risk to people.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest