DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scottish Castle

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Its a very dronegenic location. I was lucky the weather was favourable too! Somehow ruined castles seem to capture the imagination even better than complete ones. All the seagulls didn't seem to be the slight bit interested in a little MM buzzing about. Maybe they're more friendly around there?

The music was just one from the Fly app editor library.
Actually, I'm fairly amazed you are allowed to fly there and that is not criticism or raising those issues (folks policing others). In Seattle, we canNOT fly anywhere except over our own private small lots or with permission, others' small lots!!! And many of our parks are very restricted, too. I was hiking in the national forest recently and the trailhead sign "No drones permitted."

I have to drive 25 miles to a soccer field to fly and it is quite BORING! Here's where I fly! Both the Mini and the Zoom.

My Lot-.jpg

I can imagine the sales brochure for the castle... "light, airy and panoramic sea views and close to nature, this historic castle would respond well to sympathetic modernisation..." ?
" and the ghosts are included, no extra charge" - :)

• Haha
Reactions: scro
PS ,What would you say about the Wind Speed when you were flying your MM next to the cliff edge.

PS ,What would you say about the Wind Speed when you were flying your MM next to the cliff edge.
Winds (extracted from the flight logs) were typically between 4-6m/s with a maximum of 8.6m/s at 119m above takeoff point. Most of the flying was below 60m. The forecast and actual conditions were quite favourable, with just a gentle offshore breeze blowing in.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm fairly amazed you are allowed to fly there and that is not criticism or raising those issues (folks policing others). In Seattle, we canNOT fly anywhere except over our own private small lots or with permission, others' small lots!!! And many of our parks are very restricted, too. I was hiking in the national forest recently and the trailhead sign "No drones permitted."

I have to drive 25 miles to a soccer field to fly and it is quite BORING! Here's where I fly! Both the Mini and the Zoom.
That does soundvery boring! However, I'm not legally able to fly in my own back yard!

You raise an interesting point. Here we're relatively free to fly anywhere away from airports, people and built up areas. However, if you ask enough people (land owners, passers by, house owners etc) for permission I'm sure someone is going to object to you flying in nearly any location. I don't think any of the other visitors to this castle sought out filming or photography rights, yet most were taking at least a few selfies and maybe some videos on the cell phones.

I did some research on one location where I'd thought to fly and the website of the owners of the abandoned property in question had a detailed policy on drone usage on their sites. I'd have had to provide details of flight plans, number of crew, number of support vehicles, details of each piece of filming apparatus, risk assessments, details of what the footage was to be used in (broadcast, advertisements, documentaries etc), filming durations, insurance details... the list goes on. I was also expected to liaise with staff on the grounds (this is an abandoned property with no on-site attendant, nor anyone or anything nearby!!) Overall it was totally inappropriate for 20min of flying for fun, in the middle of nowhere, with a drone that's not even heavy enough to need basic registration. It was tempting to forge ahead and fill out the forms asking for permission, just to see what kind of response I'd get! ?

I normally use common sense as a guide. Can I damage someone else's property? Will I likely lose control of the drone? Will I be invading someone's privacy? Will there be many members of the public about? Will I be breaking any local flying laws? If the answer is no to all of these then it's usually a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Very well done, thank you for sharing. I always enjoy seeing videos of those old castles.

I'm not legally able to fly in my own back yard!

If I would have just a quarter of those limitations I would never buy a drone. What's the point?

Managed to get some good flying done today. Lockdown restrictions in the UK are easing up slowly and I was able to make a trip to this castle in Scotland. Allegedly it is the inspiration for Bram Stoker's infamous Dracula. The video has been thrown together in the Fly app so some resolution has been lost...

Enjoy!

A wonderful piece of MM Arts

Managed to get some good flying done today. Lockdown restrictions in the UK are easing up slowly and I was able to make a trip to this castle in Scotland. Allegedly it is the inspiration for Bram Stoker's infamous Dracula. The video has been thrown together in the Fly app so some resolution has been lost...

Enjoy!

Dang, Ive got to go to Scotland or start building castles!!!
Thanks for sharing, Its amazing

Enjoy!

Lovely vid Scro. Wonderful Slain's 'castle'. I used to live half a mile further inland from the old railway line as you head towards the village. The village pub, just by the bridge over the river, has a thank you letter and excerpt from the Dracula workings when Stoker spent some time there at the time of writing the novel. He stayed in a clifftop village about a mile and a half further south called Whinneyfold for about a month for further 'inspiration'. A couple of miles further north would be the 'Bullers 'o Buchan'. A wonderful cliff arch with spectacular views (but unfortunately used by the birds as a favoured breeding ground so would be impossible to film). Even the local beach and small harbour would be wonderful to film. I haven't got a drone yet but envy your trip and the lovely footage, brought back some lovely memories for me. Cheers Scro!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erechtus