DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scratched Gimbal right out of the box

larsv

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced this and am I being too **** for letting it annoy me? I have just received my Mav 2 Pro and upon unboxing noticed this. Scratches to the top of the gimbal and also matching scratches on the gimbal cover. See pic. Curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how did you handle it? I am assuming for the moment that this is only cosmetic but given the cost I also have reasonably high expectations. I'm coming from an original Mav pro alpine white so it's been a while but new should be "new".

Attachments

• IMG_7324.jpg
    IMG_7324.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 109
The gimbal protector scratches the camera body to produce those marks, there was a recent thread about putting a piece of felt across the top of the camera to stop the protector marking the body.

Thanks guys! Love that the accessory designed to protect the gimbal actually does the damage. S W eeeeeeet! Oh well. On to the sky.

Felt would work, but takes up room and applies some pressure (depending on felt thickness and density). UHMW-PE tape, 5 or 6 mills, is almost invisible, slicker than snake snot on a flat rock, and wears better than steel. As an aside, it can be used to reinforce the camera/gimbal ribbon cable so it won't break.

Pricey, but the PolarPro gimbal protector stops motion, the root of the problem, and fits well. Over a years use w/o any problem.
F3F92D14-F73E-4795-A92F-8DA48BA1E4B8.jpeg

Has anyone else experienced this and am I being too **** for letting it annoy me? I have just received my Mav 2 Pro and upon unboxing noticed this. Scratches to the top of the gimbal and also matching scratches on the gimbal cover. See pic. Curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how did you handle it? I am assuming for the moment that this is only cosmetic but given the cost I also have reasonably high expectations. I'm coming from an original Mav pro alpine white so it's been a while but new should be "new".

Felt would work, but takes up room and applies some pressure (depending on felt thickness and density). UHMW-PE tape, 5 or 6 mills, is almost invisible, slicker than snake snot on a flat rock, and wears better than steel. As an aside, it can be used to reinforce the camera/gimbal ribbon cable so it won't break.
also a curved or not so flat rock.... (nice analogy)

Thanks guys! Love that the accessory designed to protect the gimbal actually does the damage. S W eeeeeeet! Oh well. On to the sky.
I bought a Polar Pro gimbal lock, they are made out of soft flexible materials and don't mark anything. They are much better than the DJI contraption. It amazes me that a company that makes a drone like these, can't make a decent gimbal guard. But I do love the drones, and I guess it keeps others in business as well :)

Reactions: scdronemedia
My M2 Pro has those scratches now too, after much use. It is still taking great shots (when I do my part). I like to think of it like the wear marks on my well-used leather chair.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Polar pro gimbal Protector works very good I bought one when I purchased my drone and i’v had mine for about a year and no scratches on my gimbal.but if your drone is new there shouldn’t have any scratches at all .you probably got a refurbished drone .check the serial numbers.if there’s a S or a R in the 5th character from the last it’s refurbished

Polar pro gimbal Protector works very good I bought one when I purchased my drone and i’v had mine for about a year and no scratches on my gimbal.but if your drone is new there shouldn’t have any scratches at all .you probably got a refurbished drone .check the serial numbers.if there’s a S or a R in the 5th character from the last it’s refurbished

Not so sure about that . . . the drone is packaged new with the gimbal protector in place, do the scratches occur in transit? I didn't notice them while unpacking, but did after I'd owned the M2 for a few days. Hadn't traveled with it.

Not so sure about that . . . the drone is packaged new with the gimbal protector in place, do the scratches occur in transit? I didn't notice them while unpacking, but did after I'd owned the M2 for a few days. Hadn't traveled with it.
Don’t think that happened in transit.the original gimbal protector holds the camera pretty steady.those scratches are definitely from removing and replacing the cover

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_