DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scratched Lens On Mavic Mini

gduperry2000

Reactions
Crashed my Mavic Mini and ended up with a scratch on the outer lens glass. It is not in the direct view of the cam and is not visible in photos or video unless the sun catches it and flares back into the camera. While faint, it is annoying. I do not want to use up a refresh on this if I don't have to, so my question is: How do I reduce the issue of the scratch affecting low sun angle shots? Anyone experience this issue?

replace the outer glass lens? twist it to the right and it will pop off. very easy to replace

Don't try twisting the lens on the Mini as you'll probably break something. It's not like the Mavic pro 2, where the glass on the front of the camera is removable and can be replaced.

You can get glass lens protectors for the mini (a bit like a cell phone screen protector). That might reduce flare slightly, but don't pin any hopes on it. It will stop further scratches on the lens, though.

Last edited:
****. there must be plenty of screen protector type of glass pieces to go over the camera for those then. i was thinking of a mini to go along with my M2PRO but if theres no protection for the lens then that would be annoying

I've always been very careful not to touch the clear glass filter over the lens when installing ND filters on my Mavic Airs ..Then somebody...I think it was Gadget Guy..said..that clear glass filter doesn't have any glass in it..Yikes! Who knew...not me that's for sure. :rolleyes:
It's usually super hard to scratch a lens. Think cell phones.. are you sure it's scratched?

Basically you are screwed and if bad u just need to use one of your Refresh's or else this won't go away. They sell replacement lenses on eBay and amazon, but to remove the stock scratched one supposedly you need to heat up to 150 degrees and they say to super glue a toothpick on the lens and then it will come off. Seems like an adhesive mess too and just no simple way. I did the exact same thing to my Mini 2 and in same exact annoying boat!

Glass can actually be polished fairly easily either by hand with a cotton bud or a dremmel type tool and a bit of metal polish or t cut quite easily.
I have done it several times for scratches on glass.

I have never polished a lens though, but I should imagine possible if you go easy.
The only caveat is you'll remove the optical coating if it has one.

If you can feel the scratch ‘grab’ with a finger nail, it’s too deep to polish out.
Besides, ruining the nanoparticle multi coating will be far worse than visibility on into sun photos and video.
It’s going to hurt a little, but might as well get a new whatever (lens, camera) and just fix it now, or send in for repair by DJI or other repairer.
It will just spoil your use of the mini until it is fixed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Famousjonny