DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screen shade purchase for DJI RC controller

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
We know that the DJI RC controller isn't as bright as the $1200 smart controller. It's better than a lot of phones and tablets and convenient. But here will come a day when I'll need a screen shade. So I bought one to try. I got this one for possibly the craziest of reason: It came with thumb screws to secure the shade to the controller. What I really wanted was something to attach a lanyard to that I already have. But the lanyard straps available for the DJI RC seemed like overkill and the eyelet screws looked a bit underkill. And those kits start like at $14. All I really wanted to begin with was the eyelets, which if available at the hardware stores would have cost about 50¢ each.

So I got the sun hood for the Mini 3 RC controller to see what it was about. It's a little clumsy to install but it seems to be effective as a sun shade. If you look at the photo below it sort of has that "Flying Nun" look, but the photo is a little deceiving and doesn't illustrate it entirely. The "overhang" seems to hang over the screen the right amount which I think will be good. The "wings" look weird, but my thumbs seem to be comfortable underneath them, which is obviously how it was designd to be.

The only possible negatives are that it won't fit in the DJI fly more case, but it will fold flat and will be ok in a Skyreat type or Apache hard case. The second thing is that the thumb screws are physically independent of the sun shade. My plan was to install them in the RC and leave them there to attach my lanyard to when I want or need it. The thumbscrews will can stay on the controller if I used my FMC bag (they might have to). Both the thumbscrews and screenshade store nicely in my Apache 2800, the TS's have a place in the foam (like pierced ears) and the screen shade fits well behind the lid of the 2800. I have a Skyreat case that's coming early next week, but there is a 50/50 chance I'll be returning it. the Apache 2800 seems to have some potential to carry a lot more stuff. But we'll see.

Anyway, as clumsy as the STARTRC screen shade may be I think it could be effective if the time to attach it isn't an issue. One of the benefits I see in having the RC controller is quick deployment. But I suppose you can get the Mini 3 fired up and put the screen shade on while waiting for the sats to populate. But to be honest, I don't think it's a whole lot more clumsy and time consuming than the screen shades that have the rubber bands holding onto the phone or the one that slips over the RCN1's antenna.

I just thought I'd share this for those who might be out in the bright sun needing something like this.

1658269058042.png

Reactions: SrMi
I received the same STARTRC sunshade yesterday. I found a design flaw regarding the plastic frame around the screen:
It is almost impossible to swipe down from the top of the screen to open the status bar in DJI Fly.
☹️

Reactions: SrMi
I received the same STARTRC sunshade yesterday. I found a design flaw regarding the plastic frame around the screen:
It is almost impossible to swipe down from the top of the screen to open the status bar in DJI Fly.
☹️
Thanks for letting me know. I hadn't tried it yet. I'm going to have to test it now. The RC controller is difficult already to swipe down without any addition issues.

Edit: I played with it a bit and it does need some modification. The plastic bar that rides at the to of the screen extends down about 1/16" too far. If that bar were to be sanded past the lip at the top of the screen I think it would be ok. I was thinking dremel, but a file or even a sand paper block would be enough to provide clearance. I don't think enough plastic would have to be removed that would change the structural integrity.

There is only one other screen shade for the DJI RC and it looks like a scuba flipper and appears that the thumbs would have to work around it and not be at a good agble for fine control. If there was another option I think I'd just return this one. But I'm thinking just to file back the plastic strip and be done with it. In fact as I look at it a little filing with maybe a small bevel might do it?

I took a chance and went after it with a series of fingernail files. As you can see tht plastic piece is relieved just enough to expose the full frame of the screen. Also, you might be able to see I did bevel it back a bit to give my finger more room to get in there. [see photos below] Honestly, you wouldn't even know if you looked closely that anything was done to it unless you knew. FWIW I made it smooth with 1000 grit sandpaper. If I'm bored I'll go finer later on. I really didn't take very much material off and the nail file allows for straight consistent material removal. I think it looks pretty good.

Part of the issue is that even without the screen shade pulling down the menu was and is a challenge. I shouldn't have hat to mod a brand new product, but the lack of selection pushed me in that direction. It took me 10-15 of meticulous filing to make it useable. It would have taken longer to drive it to UPS in a return. But again, there is no alternative at the moment. Almost not choice if a screen shade is necessary.

1658349194435.png

1658349123814.png

Last edited:
☹️
I was wondering if that would cause issues and asked the question on Amazon.
The Seller said it would not cause issues.
I'm glad I waited. Thanks for posting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 14.18.38.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 14.18.38.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 11
MORE TO REPORT...

What initiall intrigued me about the screen shade, what I may have mentioned previously were the thumbscrews. Eyelets by themselves seemed unavailable and a kit with the lanyard (none of which I liked) started at $14. So I essentially bought the kit because of the thumbscrews. I already have lanyards so buying one just for the eyelet screws wasn't flying, though I might have had to resort to that. And then there is the screen shade kit with the thumbscrews.

I've already addressed fixing the main problem with the screen itself. No give deal. One piece of the frame by the screen is just a fraction too thick, easily handled with a fingernail file.

While I could attach the clips of my lanyard to the thumbscrews themselves, that wouldn't have been my first choice. I pondered what I had on hand that I could use. Fish line? Not sure. I'd have to be creative there. Electrical wire? Zip ties? Yes, those would work but I didn't think of those until I came up with my choice: LEATHER.

I had some thick scrap leather laying around and I have hole punches so I can customize the avaialble length of some guitar straps. While cut a bit rough, the following images are what I came up with. I like it. I like that they're tough and flexible and won't scratch anything. The chances are that I'll leave the leather on the lanyard and keep the thumbscrews on the controller. If I get ambitious I'll recut another set and do a better cutting job.

Just thought I'd share.

1658425941321.png

1658426526816.png

MORE TO REPORT...

What initiall intrigued me about the screen shade, what I may have mentioned previously were the thumbscrews. Eyelets by themselves seemed unavailable and a kit with the lanyard (none of which I liked) started at $14. So I essentially bought the kit because of the thumbscrews. I already have lanyards so buying one just for the eyelet screws wasn't flying, though I might have had to resort to that. And then there is the screen shade kit with the thumbscrews.

I've already addressed fixing the main problem with the screen itself. No give deal. One piece of the frame by the screen is just a fraction too thick, easily handled with a fingernail file.

While I could attach the clips of my lanyard to the thumbscrews themselves, that wouldn't have been my first choice. I pondered what I had on hand that I could use. Fish line? Not sure. I'd have to be creative there. Electrical wire? Zip ties? Yes, those would work but I didn't think of those until I came up with my choice: LEATHER.

I had some thick scrap leather laying around and I have hole punches so I can customize the avaialble length of some guitar straps. While cut a bit rough, the following images are what I came up with. I like it. I like that they're tough and flexible and won't scratch anything. The chances are that I'll leave the leather on the lanyard and keep the thumbscrews on the controller. If I get ambitious I'll recut another set and do a better cutting job.

Just thought I'd share.

View attachment 152095

View attachment 152096
Flipping ingenious, cheers Len

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member