DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screen sharing android to Windows 10

Pp09nlk2n

Reactions
I'm trying to use a Windows 10 laptop as a second screen for bystanders so they don't have to look over my shoulder at my small android phone as I fly. Anyone done this before?

I can get it to work at home- I turn on screen sharing on the android, run the "connect app" in Windows 10, and the android screen with DJI GO 4 appears on the laptop. HOWEVER- I can't get it to work on the road. It seems like it works fine on home wifi but when I try turning the Windows 10 computer into a hotspot and have the android connect to its wifi directly, the screen share doesn't work (the devices can't discover eachother).

Has anyone else managed a similar setup? Or do I need to ALSO bring a travel router with me and have the laptop and android connect to that and then screen shade - I'd prefer to avoid a 3rd device in the mix if possible.

I'm trying to use a Windows 10 laptop as a second screen for bystanders so they don't have to look over my shoulder at my small android phone as I fly. Anyone done this before?

I can get it to work at home- I turn on screen sharing on the android, run the "connect app" in Windows 10, and the android screen with DJI GO 4 appears on the laptop. HOWEVER- I can't get it to work on the road. It seems like it works fine on home wifi but when I try turning the Windows 10 computer into a hotspot and have the android connect to its wifi directly, the screen share doesn't work (the devices can't discover eachother).

Has anyone else managed a similar setup? Or do I need to ALSO bring a travel router with me and have the laptop and android connect to that and then screen shade - I'd prefer to avoid a 3rd device in the mix if possible.
I think you need the third in the mix, it sounds like at home they are syncing at the router, can you try casting the screen? I have never had any luck with wifi direct.
Regards,
-d.

What app are you using for screen sharing in Android? Or if it's built-in what phone? (this isn't a built-in feature of stock android to my knowledge, but Samsung or LG, or someone might include it in their version).

Would be very handy to get this working.

As to your question, could it have something to do with firewall on Windows? Windows has "locations" for networks, and if it detects a "Public" or untrusted location, it raises a more restrictive set of firewall rules, blocking network traffic.

How about using the phone as the hotspot and connecting to it with the laptop? Does that make a difference?

What app are you using for screen sharing in Android? Or if it's built-in what phone? (this isn't a built-in feature of stock android to my knowledge, but Samsung or LG, or someone might include it in their version).

Would be very handy to get this working.

As to your question, could it have something to do with firewall on Windows? Windows has "locations" for networks, and if it detects a "Public" or untrusted location, it raises a more restrictive set of firewall rules, blocking network traffic.

How about using the phone as the hotspot and connecting to it with the laptop? Does that make a difference?

Samsung S4

And it is built in screen share app on the android.

Good thought on the private/public. I tested and set the hotspot to public and turned off the firewall. No luck.

I can't set the android as the hotspot, unfortunately, as the phone doesn't have cellular connection (just using it for DJI) so it won't let me turn on hotspot mode without a SIM card.

Might just have to travel router this.

When you say it's a built-in screen-share app on Android, the only built-in screen sharing is Chromecast which is Google's native screen casting app. But I wasn't aware of a way to "receive" chromecast from a windows machine?

Or is it possibly some kind of screen sharing thing samsung has built-in I wonder? Can you send a link to the app/program you installed on your laptop to support this?

Also for the hotspot without SIM card, this app in the Google Play Store has been reported to enable wifi hotspot on a phone without a SIM installed:
Hotspot Control - Android Apps on Google Play

When you say it's a built-in screen-share app on Android, the only built-in screen sharing is Chromecast which is Google's native screen casting app. But I wasn't aware of a way to "receive" chromecast from a windows machine?

Or is it possibly some kind of screen sharing thing samsung has built-in I wonder? Can you send a link to the app/program you installed on your laptop to support this?

Also for the hotspot without SIM card, this app in the Google Play Store has been reported to enable wifi hotspot on a phone without a SIM installed:
Hotspot Control - Android Apps on Google Play

These are the instructions I have follows so far which work on my home network. It shows which app I use on both android and Windows:
How to cast your Android screen to a Windows 10 PC - MSPoweruser

Thanks for the android link. I'll try that tonight and see if that works. :)

It's not going to work with Windows 10 as a hotspot due to the internet connection sharing network that it puts the hotspot on is not the same network that the laptop and it's applications use for it's normal LAN connection. The Windows 10 machine becomes a router of sorts when you use internet connection sharing and the protocol that your phone and it use to scan the network is probably not routable. Your best bet would be to get a wireless access point and connect the laptop's LAN or WLAN to it as well as the Android device. Then they should both be on the same network and find each other when scanning. You don't need an internet connection to do this either.

Reactions: Pp09nlk2n
Look into miracast on the windows PC. My surface pro allows my galaxy s7 to cast to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan