DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screw loose

Jw89

Reactions
Firstly folks, thanks for the v warm welcome to the forum!

I've just received my Mavic Air 2, about 3 days ago. Been out a couple of times and absolutely blown away by how good it is. Unfortunately was just about to head out for a flight an hour ago and noticed a loose internal screw on one of the back arms. When I took the propeller off I noticed some of the copper coils look slightly damaged although this could be nothing to do with it. Has anyone had this before? I haven't dropped or crashed drown so no damage there. I can hear it rattling as it moves backwards and forwards within the arm. Send it back or open it? Cheers!

Can you post photos of the loose screw and the damage to the windings?
Was this a new drone and was the box in factory-sealed wrapping?
DO NOT OPEN the drone, you would most likely void any warranty.
Where is the rattling coming from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A.O.
Can you post photos of the loose screw and the damage to the windings?
I can only hear the screw rattling backwards and forwards. I presume it's a screw although it could be something else, piece of plastic etc. It's definitely internal. I see the arms are held on by two screws at the top so it shouldn't be hard to remove. Although I would be tempted to try and get a replacement if this has happened within only a few days. Not 100% sure windings are damaged but all the others are uniformly wound.

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_174146.jpg
    IMG_20210228_174146.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 131
Follow up: yeah I thought as much re warranty. Not worth it. New drone straight from DJI (from China incidentally not the UK) and all sealed etc. The sound comes from within the length of the arm, so the middle really, as if it is dropping from top to bottom and vice versa as I turn it one way and another.

3 days old and you want to start DIY repairs?
Don't mess with it! Send it back! Copper coils damaged?
It's a no brainer, return it for a new one! Stay safe!
Not so much want to as wondered if anyone had come across this before and it being v frustrating! I'm in touch to send it back.

The windings look ok to me, the varnish has no scores and there is no bright, bare copper showing that I can see. I assume the variation of copper colour stems from the lighting etc..
Quite a few of the poles of the motors of my MM have non uniform or 'displaced turns.

Was this purchased via DJI - Official Website. If so I would suggest you check with DJI UK what the situation will be concerning import duty on any replacement.

With regards to the rattle, is this in the arm that had the loose screw?
If you place a small and not too strong magnet against the arm midway between the motor and the drone's body can you stop the rattler rattling?

All in all though I think a return is on the cards if just to put your mind at ease.

Reactions: pelagic_one
The windings look ok to me, the varnish has no scores and there is no bright, bare copper showing that I can see. I assume the variation of copper colour stems from the lighting etc..
Quite a few of the poles of the motors of my MM have non uniform or 'displaced turns.

Was this purchased via DJI - Official Website. If so I would suggest you check with DJI UK what the situation will be concerning import duty on any replacement.

With regards to the rattle, is this in the arm that had the loose screw?
If you place a small and not too strong magnet against the arm midway between the motor and the drone's body can you stop the rattler rattling?

All in all though I think a return is on the cards if just to put your mind at ease.
Good point I could check if it was plastic or metal with a magnet.

Yeah weirdly as I say I bought it from the DJI UK website however they must have had no stock in the UK as it came from China with no import charges. I can't see how they can charge me anything extra since it's a warranty fault. I'd be most interested to find out what it is.

As you say I suspected there was no correlation between the non uniform state of the windings and the rattle, it just seemed unusual.

I seem to have confused you somehow, sorry. The rattle is the issue, which I presume comes from a loose internal screw as that is what it sounds like. I haven't seen any evidence of a loose screw so it could be plastic instead of a loose screw however as you say a magnet would resolve what it is. There is nothing obviously loose it's just that I'd be worried it was a part internally to the arm that had failed.

As you say, this early into having it I'd be more at ease if nothing rattled at all!

Reactions: A.O.
Having massive issues trying to get DJI to sort a replacement. I've spoken to at least 7 different people and either not got any follow up or, when I finally get a case opened it is repeatedly about a repair not a replacement. The woman I spoke to today kept saying it has to be within 15 days to get a replacement. I first contacted them on Sunday which was day 4, it's now day 8 and at this rate it will be outside the 15 days before we get something sorted. I just want to go fly it! O well, bigger issues.

Have you tried email?
I am deaf so have to but at least then I have a written record of the conversation.
I wanted and got replacement props for the MM as it arrived with deformed props.

I'm now wishing I had just opened the leg up and sorted whatever the problem was myself. The drone has been stuck at UPS in the Netherlands for the past few weeks and DJI refuse to do anything about it. I've had the thing for over a month had have so far only managed to fly it for about 3 hours! Nightmare.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78