DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card in Smart Controller

PointJoe

Reactions
I took my SD card from my bird and slipped it into the SD port on the SC. I was able to replay the video I had made earlier ... on site. If I change the SC settings to make that my primary storage (rather than on the AC), are there any disadvantages? The advantage is I can replay immediately. Any variation in quality? Thanks for your input ...

Reactions: georgerandybass
I’ll take stab at this and no doubt somebody will correct me if I’m wrong. The M2 does have internal storage in addition to the SD card. If your recording video, you’ll capture up to 100 MB/s on a complex 4K scene & this will be buffered in the M2. All this data then has to be transferred to the SD card in yr SC in close to real time. Is this also in addition to the low res telemetry used on the display? I’m not sure if the transfer rate is adequate to keep up with full 4K video at the highest rate.

What i’d like to do is fly, take photos or videos, and see them replayed on site immediately. I don’t care about the lesser quality on the replay. Will a chip in the bird as well as the Smart Controller enable this?

In the same vein as Ralph, somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe an SD card in the SC can be used to mirror the files recorded on the M2. I have not personally tried it though. I would also be unsure if this “syncing” would happen in real time or when the M2 isn’t actively recording a video or image. Keep in mind, too, you can also replay the files stored on your M2 on the SC screen any time with the playback feature.

The real recordings can go on the AC mounted SD card, or the AC's internal 8GB storage. I recommend the SD card as you can remove it. To get to the 8GB storage, you need to connect the AC to a PC via USB-C port on the AC. You might be able to connect the AC to the SC.

What gets put on the SC in real time is cached video either 1080 or 720 depending on settings and if you have cache enabled.
Cache by default is stored in SC's internal storage. You can instead have it go to an SD card installed on the SC.

Reactions: dtp
What i’d like to do is fly, take photos or videos, and see them replayed on site immediately. I don’t care about the lesser quality on the replay. Will a chip in the bird as well as the Smart Controller enable this?

What DanMan32 mentioned.

You can playback the streamed/cached video on your SC easily (I store mine to a 128 GB card on my SC) for post flight review. These are not the full quality, but they are what I need for quick review and it sounds like what you are interested in.

I store nothing to the AC's 8GB internal storage and all goes to a primary 128GB card there that is separate from the one in my SC. If I need the full quality data later I typically remove the card from the AC and copy the data off it.

Reactions: PointJoe
In the same vein as Ralph, somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe an SD card in the SC can be used to mirror the files recorded on the M2. I have not personally tried it though. I would also be unsure if this “syncing” would happen in real time or when the M2 isn’t actively recording a video or image. Keep in mind, too, you can also replay the files stored on your M2 on the SC screen any time with the playback feature.
[/QUOTE
The real recordings can go on the AC mounted SD card, or the AC's internal 8GB storage. I recommend the SD card as you can remove it. To get to the 8GB storage, you need to connect the AC to a PC via USB-C port on the AC. You might be able to connect the AC to the SC.

What gets put on the SC in real time is cached video either 1080 or 720 depending on settings and if you have cache enabled.
Cache by default is stored in SC's internal storage. You can instead have it go to an SD card installed on the SC.
Thank you, but I have no interest in recording to the internal cache. I want that to remain free in case of an emergency, i.e. forgetting the SD card and needing to store new material.

What DanMan32 mentioned.

You can playback the streamed/cached video on your SC easily (I store mine to a 128 GB card on my SC) for post flight review. These are not the full quality, but they are what I need for quick review and it sounds like what you are interested in.

I store nothing to the AC's 8GB internal storage and all goes to a primary 128GB card there that is separate from the one in my SC. If I need the full quality data later I typically remove the card from the AC and copy the data off it.

Yes, this addresses my question. Thank you very much ...

Yes, this addresses my question. Thank you very much ...
What DanMan32 mentioned.

OK, I have two chips (AC and SD). I’m on site. I assume the images are on both. Can you tell me exactly how you replay the images on the SC Card for playback? Thank you ...

OK, I have two chips (AC and SD). I’m on site. I assume the images are on both. Can you tell me exactly how you replay the images on the SC Card for playback? Thank you ...

I use the file explorer on the SC to view images, but there’s also the image viewer on the SC home screen (left button in the bottom right of the screen if memory serves correct).

If you’re still connected to your craft you can use the playback feature in the GO4 app (also bottom right button) to view content actually stored on the craft’s internal or SD card.

Reactions: Jaymaharg
I use the file explorer on the SC to view images, but there’s also the image viewer on the SC home screen (left button in the bottom right of the screen if memory serves correct).

If you’re still connected to your craft you can use the playback feature in the GO4 app (also bottom right button) to view content actually stored on the craft’s internal or SD card.
Thank you!

You've been mixing terms so let me clarify.

If you want the lower resolution cache video to go to the SD card installed on the SC, you have to set that in the Go app. Otherwise it is stored on the SC's internal storage under the same parent folder the flight logs are stored.

What's on the AC (SD or internal 8GB) is not cache video, it's the full resolution video.
I totally agree to use an SD on the AC. 8GB is just too small, even at 1080p. Not only that but to extract you need to have the AC powered on during transfer.
I'd recommend using the USB or SD removal and card reader to transfer rather than OTA as OTA will be much slower, especially at higher resolutions.

Reactions: Thomas B
You've been mixing terms so let me clarify.

If you want the lower resolution cache video to go to the SD card installed on the SC, you have to set that in the Go app. Otherwise it is stored on the SC's internal storage under the same parent folder the flight logs are stored.

What's on the AC (SD or internal 8GB) is not cache video, it's the full resolution video.
I totally agree to use an SD on the AC. 8GB is just too small, even at 1080p. Not only that but to extract you need to have the AC powered on during transfer.
I'd recommend using the USB or SD removal and card reader to transfer rather than OTA as OTA will be much slower, especially at higher resolutions.
Thank you. I use Litchi not Go4. I am hoping to instantly replay my on-board videos on site on my Smart Controller. The resolution does not matter. Nor does it matter if it’s in internal or SDCard storage.

That's completely different. Litchi plays by its own rules.
Yes, so true. Finally figured it out. Set my SC storage to the SD Card. Used the pull-down menu to click on video camera icon. This started screen recording. Then replayed using the icon to the left of the two icons on the opening screen, the one for onboard images. There were my recent videos for playback.

I appreciate your and others interest, thinking, and help. All led to a simple solution ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002