DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card Readable in Drone But NOT with SD Card to USB Adapter

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
I just ran into a rather odd problem with the SD card in both my Mavic 1Pro and my Mavic Pro Platinum. My usual practice after each drone flight had always been to remove the SD card from the drone and place it in a small SD card to USB adapter that plugs into my desktop computer so as to download the video footage filmed during each flight in a process that typically took ten minutes or so.

All of a sudden a few days ago, the SD card was no longer recognized as having been plugged into the computer via that USB adapter. Suspecting the USB adapter to be bad, I swapped it with another one but still, the SD card could not be seen on the computer. Considering the possibility that the SD card was bad, I removed the SD card from my Phantom 3 Pro, and even that SD card did not register as being present when plugged into the desktop via the USB adapter.

Finally, I decided to leave the SD card installed in the drone, and connect the drone to the computer via its USB cable outlet. This process was successful in that I was able to download the video files directly from the SD card in the drone to my computer. The process was however cumbersome and time-consuming because I had to place the drone in front of a standing fan for a good half hour before I could download one flight's worth of video footage. With that proof of the SD card data being intact, I was then at a loss regarding why the SD card which for years had been so easily readable while connected to the computer via the USB adapter, was no longer readable unless it was left in the drone.

I have ordered a new SD card USB adapter but it isn't delivered yet, while the new faster SD cards I have on order are also still in the post. While I'm waiting for the new SD card adapter I decided to write here in case anyone in this forum had encountered this type of SD card anomaly before, whereby the SD card HAD to be in the drone in order for the video files to be downloaded to the computer, as opposed to the far simpler method of using the SD card USB adapter to download video files after each flight. Any thoughts that can be shared on this predicament would be appreciated.

I just ran into a rather odd problem with the SD card in both my Mavic 1Pro and my Mavic Pro Platinum. My usual practice after each drone flight had always been to remove the SD card from the drone and place it in a small SD card to USB adapter that plugs into my desktop computer so as to download the video footage filmed during each flight in a process that typically took ten minutes or so.

All of a sudden a few days ago, the SD card was no longer recognized as having been plugged into the computer via that USB adapter. Suspecting the USB adapter to be bad, I swapped it with another one but still, the SD card could not be seen on the computer. Considering the possibility that the SD card was bad, I removed the SD card from my Phantom 3 Pro, and even that SD card did not register as being present when plugged into the desktop via the USB adapter.

Finally, I decided to leave the SD card installed in the drone, and connect the drone to the computer via its USB cable outlet. This process was successful in that I was able to download the video files directly from the SD card in the drone to my computer. The process was however cumbersome and time-consuming because I had to place the drone in front of a standing fan for a good half hour before I could download one flight's worth of video footage. With that proof of the SD card data being intact, I was then at a loss regarding why the SD card which for years had been so easily readable while connected to the computer via the USB adapter, was no longer readable unless it was left in the drone.

I have ordered a new SD card USB adapter but it isn't delivered yet, while the new faster SD cards I have on order are also still in the post. While I'm waiting for the new SD card adapter I decided to write here in case anyone in this forum had encountered this type of SD card anomaly before, whereby the SD card HAD to be in the drone in order for the video files to be downloaded to the computer, as opposed to the far simpler method of using the SD card USB adapter to download video files after each flight. Any thoughts that can be shared on this predicament would be appreciated.

Did you try plugging the Card reader into a different USB? It sounds like your PC/MAC is not identifying the USB. Sometimes when that happens, you have to go into the device manager (PC) and update the device. If you tried plugging the card reader into different USB ports and it still didn't work it may very well be the reader itself.

Yes! Exactly. On 5 different sd cards. But very intermittent, like the card reader/ card didn't connect to the laptop. Still a problem but the cards look ok on the drone and controller after reformatting.
Following thread.

In addition to what @GFields suggested, also try using the card reader on a different PC.
My worry level did rise further when the SD card failed to work after being inserted into a smart phone's SD car reader, but I'm still holding out hope that a new card reader in a different computer might solve this baffling problem.

The old IT solution "try turning the computer off and turning it back on" springs to mind. That's only helpful though if you leave your computer in sleep mode (which I do) instead of turning it off every time it's not being used.

Good advice MavicAir2Marc .I normally always use the drone connected to PC when transferring . I find far more reliable and less wear on the contacts. SD and microSD do wear out with constant read/write. I have to change my security devices mSD every couple years. Reformatting at a low level may give you a few more read/writes however, they are not very exspensive.

I restart all my PC and worksations at least two times a week with simple scripts. With many years in IT I found it helps
on all systems.(if you can do it) We normally do not reboot servers regularly since they are tightly controlled and secured.

Last edited:
So....formatted all cards. I updated windows and it helped. If anything, it seems the connection between card and reader could be a weak point. Windows beeps when reader is installed.

So....formatted all cards. I updated windows and it helped. If anything, it seems the connection between card and reader could be a weak point. Windows beeps when reader is installed.
I think the next logical step is to get another card reader Memory card readers are cheap, it's handy to have spares.

Just wondering why the use of a fan is needed to do the download. Doesn't the fan in the drone keep the unit cool enough without having to setup another fan?

Just wondering why the use of a fan is needed to do the download. Doesn't the fan in the drone keep the unit cool enough without having to setup another fan?
I use the fan because the drone does feel hot to the touch after sitting on a table indoors while the videos are downloaded to the computer via a USB cable. My preference would be to only power up the drone for flight or for calibration procedures, so as to minimize heat stress, but until my new SD cards and card readers arrive, I've no choice but to download the video using this cumbersome and time-consuming method.

I recently had a SanDisk USB card reader fail with similar symptoms. It simply never worked again, and my cards were fine. I've found the SD adapter is much more reliable than the USB adapter.

I recently had a SanDisk USB card reader fail with similar symptoms. It simply never worked again, and my cards were fine. I've found the SD adapter is much more reliable than the USB adapter.
Bingo! Against all odds, BOTH of my SD card readers stopped working at the same time. I just now tried out a newly acquired reader that takes multiple SD card variants, and BOOM, it worked. Its aliiiive Igor heh heh heh it's aliiiiiive!!

I'm currently downloading 53GB worth of drone footage from a 64GB SD card that was in my Mavic 1 Pro, and it is going smoothly without a hitch. So, when all else fails, fellow drone meisters, replace the SD card reader.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada