DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card speed

There is also a video on YouTube where the guy mentions having problems with the mavic 2 footage on his well spec'd macbook Pro 2015 (the channel is Drone Film Guide)

To be fair a "well spec'd" 2015 macbook is really badly spec'd these days. They ship with older hardware so its basically 4-5 year old internals now trying to run a modern codec designed for modern CPUs.

Apples hardware is not cutting edge and it'll show with an old machine like that. Not hard to transcode or proxy the footage though.

Crap. I just purchased 2 of these exact 64GB Sandisk chips from Amazon- it says Extreme and Speed Rating 3, and V30 and transfer rates of up to 100MBS per second. (??? WTF ???) I just got them today and haven't opened them yet. so @gnitS and @Whack, you both tried these and they didn't work? If so, I'll just return them.

Anyone have an Amazon link for a GOOD 64GB Sandisk SD card that will work with the Mavic 2 Pro with no problems? Real 100MB/s read/write.

Remember not to confuse megabits with megabytes here.

The mavic needs 100mbit/s throughput. Thats only 12.5 mega bytes (MB/sec)

The card SHOULD be perfectly spec'd for the job. Throughputs, read and write speed are way above what the drone needs. But when i put it in the drone complains about slow cards, 4k gets truncated and even locked my camera settings out for 30 seconds while trying to write it.
Maybe its a dodgy batch - i dont think mine is fake because i got it directly from Sandisk.

Reactions: NetApex
Crap. I just purchased 2 of these exact 64GB Sandisk chips from Amazon- it says Extreme and Speed Rating 3, and V30 and transfer rates of up to 100MBS per second. (??? WTF ???) I just got them today and haven't opened them yet. so @gnitS and @Whack, you both tried these and they didn't work? If so, I'll just return them.

Anyone have an Amazon link for a GOOD 64GB Sandisk SD card that will work with the Mavic 2 Pro with no problems? Real 100MB/s read/write.
I have these and they work perfectly with the drone, I don’t work from the card in post, always transfer to the Mac for maximum performance.

Reactions: sparkies
Internal store may be best. This video is shot using the internal drive on the Mavic. I have noticed that when recording to my Ulta SD card in the 120 fps Slow setting every so often and it seems to occur mostly at the start of the recording it jumps. I experimented with traffic and trains and the jump was noticeable as a car would suddenly jump a frame. So for this test I used the internal "hard drive " on the Mavic 2. I noticed there was no jumping at all the motion was smooth all the way. I then took a section of this slo mo and in my editing system (Edius) I speeded it up 400% thus bringing back the motion to normal. The result considering th processing that has gone on is more than acceptable. It would suggest that to emulate the "hard drive " in the Mavic 2 I will need to get a very fast card which should eliminate the frame jumping when using the 120 fps SLOW setting As a bonus I could get a shot of an airliner which is a long way away with the facility in the Mavic 2 to point the gimbal upwards. Plus when in slo mo mode you are using up memory four times as fast e.g 5mins flying time in slo mo will use memory like you were flying for 20 mins. The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP

I have 3 of these Samsung EVO Select U3 128GB SDXC cards that I'm using with my Mavic 2 Zoom.
@ $29 each with prime shipping.. they are cheap and work well and I'm not pushing high frame rate slomo.

Faster 128GB U3 UHS-II memory at 110MB/s write? LEXAR https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-microSDXC-UHS-II-Reader/dp/B012PKPU5W
Its pricey @ $166 but will outperform the UHS-I Mavic and with a UHS-II reader at your PC, will read at 270MB/s - but the Mavic 2 wont write any faster than UHS-I speeds to it, since it's not UHS-II. For those that want to ensure that the card isn't the bottleneck and price isn't relevant - that may be your path...

but as Mavic53 said.. the internal 8GB may be the fastest that doesn't have to go through an external SDXC

The Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 records at the SLOW 120 fps setting and drops no frames at all. The recording is without any glitch.

When I see glitchy playback on my PC, I replay that section and it is OK. That tells me the information should be in the data file, which was originally recorded on the card.
I was playing back from an external USB 3.0 drive that I had transferred card contents to.

I have the SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB U3 V30 XC1....and I still get the twiching...... and controller says "SD card Slow"

what next? is there a setting I can change?

I have the SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB U3 V30 XC1....and I still get the twiching...... and controller says "SD card Slow"

what next? is there a setting I can change?

Make sure it is not a counterfeit card. There are some apps or programs that can test cards. Did you buy from a reputable source?

Not necessarily reliable. It would depend on the seller and probably their ratings. See if you can find an sd-card test app and throw it into a phone/tablet or reader and run the test.

Here's a speed test (download is in German but the program has an English option)

H2testw

There are also Sandisk counterfeit testing apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAdkins
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123