DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD CARDS??!

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
I have been shooting on Sandusky ultra cards for years and didn’t know they aren’t 4k. Does this mean all of the “4k” videos I shot with my Mavic air and downloaded are only in 1080p? I ordered some Sandisk extreme cards which support 4k.

I have been shooting on Sandusky ultra cards for years and didn’t know they aren’t 4k. Does this mean all of the “4k” videos I shot with my Mavic air and downloaded are only in 1080p? I ordered some Sandisk extreme cards which support 4k.
The max resolution you can shoot with isn't usually a function of the card
Perhaps the cards are too slow to record at 4K and the amount of data per second at 4K video is too much for the cards to keep up with?

When you try to record video data faster than the card can wrote it, as in the drone sending more data than the card can write, the video will stutter due to "dropped data"

When my Sandisk MicroSD Extreme A1 100MB/s 32GB died and I sent it back under warranty, I used some old 8GB, 4 GB, 2GB, and even a 256MB MicroSDs from my old phones, they all worked and all had problems with 4K, and when they did, they stuttered and maybe up to 20seconds of video was just flat missing as if I edited it out…

If Your 4K video runs smoothly without stuttering then there probably is no problem.

I would suggest that you also check whether or not your video equipment can hand 4k.

If the card can't handle the data stream, the drone or camera will just stop recording and usually give you a warning. The card won't scale down the video for itself, so if it worked, either it's fast enough or you were recording at a lower resolution.

If not, the video will stutter and have missing frames but usually the cameras stop recording as the buffer gets filled due to the card not being able to write the data fast enough.

SanDisk Ultra can manage 4K and are not expensive.

If the card can't handle the data stream, the drone or camera will just stop recording and usually give you a warning.
As I mentioned above, the video stuttered... I fly a mini 2 and the video continued for eth duration, it was just full of stutters when with dropped video. I never received any waring and the it recorded as long as I wanted...

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
This “stuttering” on the s.d. card is interesting. Will the live broadcast back to the remote controller also be affected?

I had an incident that I have been unable to figure out where the live broadcast was frozen and a subsequent review of the event on the s.d. card showed an interruption, too.

Could this have been caused by a slow, or defective, s.d. card?

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Could this have been caused by a slow, or defective, s.d. card?
Yes, the stuttering was caused by "slow cards" (see my post #3…). If I remember correctly, the image in my video froze momentarily too… It's been a while, so I'm not completely sure…

But if the Op's video plays correctly and his editing equipment (software and hardware) can handle the 4K volume of data, there should be no discrepancy between what the OP intended to do (shoot in 4K…) and what was actually gets (real 4k, not 2.7K or 1080p)…

The real test is can his display device like a Large Screen TV play the video or will it only display the TV's resident resolution (not 4K…)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope