DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD cards

Gratton

Reactions
I'm reading the manual for the MM I picked up last night. I see that they say it needs a UHS-I Speed Grade 3 rating microSD card. I don't have one so I'll need to pick one up. In the meantime, can I use a 16G of unknown, but unlikely to be fat enough, speed? And what's the downside, low quality videos?

I couldn't find the answer in search.

Thanks,
MikeG

Drone will warn you if the sd card is too slow. At least that’s what happened with me when I put in my 32gb Samsung SD that came with my phantom into my Mavic air 2.:rolleyes:

Faster card essentially ensures the write speeds can keep up with what the camera is recording. Not sure what would happen to recordings made on a too slow sad card with a mini or any other drone.

Back in the day I found out about write speeds the hard way when my rebel would struggle record smooth footage in 1080. 4K really taxes these cards.

Reactions: Gratton
I'm reading the manual for the MM I picked up last night. I see that they say it needs a UHS-I Speed Grade 3 rating microSD card. I don't have one so I'll need to pick one up. In the meantime, can I use a 16G of unknown, but unlikely to be fat enough, speed? And what's the downside, low quality videos?

Thanks,
MikeG
I have used cheap SDs in an emergency and found no problem on stills but video is a little sketchy. I now keep a few fast cards handy as I have 3 drones so best to have extras.

Thanks,
MikeG
If the card is too slow, the Mini will stop recording, so it might start recording okay but you might get videos that are only 10 or 15 seconds long. If that doesn't happen and you get the full video, then there won't be any quality degradation.

Last edited:
If the card is too slow, the Mini will stop recording, so it might start recording okay but you might get videos that are only 10 of 15 seconds long. If that doesn't happen and you get the full video, then there won't be any quality degradation.

Thanks. I put the the 16G spare card I had in and it took a 1 minute video and some pictures without problem but in going to pick up a larger capacity one so it might as well be faster too.

MikeG

Reactions: ff22
The MM has a problem recognising slow SD cards. It may recognise it one moment, then display NO SD card error the next.

I had Sandisk UltraSD 64gb &32gb cards which only worked intermittently.

I thought the MM was faulty.

Now I only use Sandisk Extreme cards which work consistently.

Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom