DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Search and Rescue: Ingy

Chaosrider

Reactions
This is going to sound incredibly corny, but the thing that inspired me to get into droning was the NASA drone Ingenuity, on Mars. Ingenuity just completed it's 8th successful flight.

So, when I got my first drone, a Snaptain S5C, I named it Ingy. A great little intro trainer, but zero wind resistance. Good camera, though, for a cheap trainer. Living in a canyon, both wide flat spaces and calm winds are mythical conditions. I tended to fly early in the morning.

The S5C has three speed settings, just like the Mini-2. I started training on the slowest setting. I got better controlling it in the wind over time, but I was spending all of my time just keeping it stable where I wanted it, rather than flying around and doing what I wanted to do.

I've flown dozens of different models of human-sized airplanes, and as a general rule, the heavier they are, the more stable they are. I started looking around for a heavier drone, but I came across an article (which may have been a pointer to somewhere in this forum!), that pointed out that wind resistance in drones is produced by the intelligent application of substantial engine power, and not by increased weight.

This made perfect sense to me, so I increased the power on Ingy to the middle setting, and sure enough, that DID make a difference! I still had to actively control it to keep it stable in the wind, but it was easier to do that at the higher power level. I was even able to get some decent video.

After a couple of days of this, I bumped the power level up to it's version of "Sport", and that made a bit more difference, but I made the mistake of flying in the afternoon. A strong gust caught Ingy, and he was blown out of sight, over the roof of the garage behind me. I had picked him out of the nearby sagebrush (and a couple of short trees) on numerous occasions, but this time he was nowhere to be found.

By then I had done enough research that I knew that the Mini-2 was the aircraft for me. I went over to Best Buy and bought one the next day. What a difference!

After practicing very closely for a while (trivially easy by comparison to Ingy). I concluded that the only way to find Ingy, was to search for him with Dijimm, my first Mini-2. I confirmed that Ingy wasn't on the roof of the garage, and I did a cursory survey of the acre or two of sloped sagebrush down the canyon from my house to the road. No luck.

Flash forward a couple of weeks, and I know a lot more about Mini-2s, and how to fly them. I determined to do a more thorough search of the most likely crash site area. I set the camera to 4X zoom, and pointed it not quite straight down. If Ingy went beyond the road, he's lost and gone forever. So I started my search at the road below my house, and moved up the slope, scanning. I'd go down one row, scoot Phoenix up a few feet, and then do another row.

No luck, I'm afraid. But perhaps I'll win an award for the most boring drone video ever made!

:)

TCS

I don't know about Ingy.. but the MM2 (all Mavics) have 2 other things that help.

1. It knows when the wind is hitting it. So it does 2 things:
A. Tells you it's being hit
B. Tilts it self and increases prop speed to counter the push. - that's why changes in wind speed can flip them.

2. It uses a GPS lock of where it should be from its last command, and will try to return to that location if its pushed.

You will probably never find ingy because ingy is probably small and a really dumb colour ( could be bright orange). Maybe get a snigger dog to find ingy.

I don't know about Ingy.. but the MM2 (all Mavics) have 2 other things that help.

1. It knows when the wind is hitting it. So it does 2 things:
A. Tells you it's being hit
B. Tilts it self and increases prop speed to counter the push. - that's why changes in wind speed can flip them.

2. It uses a GPS lock of where it should be from its last command, and will try to return to that location if its pushed.

You will probably never find ingy because ingy is probably small and a really dumb colour ( could be bright orange). Maybe get a snigger dog to find ingy.
Ingy was cheap. 75 bucks.

He didn't have GPS, and he had none of the control mechanisms that you describe.

When Ingy got blown away, and I got my Mini-2, it was like night and day. When saw Dijimm hovering in the air, successfully overcoming some stiff, gusty winds, it seemed like he was flying himself.

And compared to Ingy, that's exactly what the Mini-2 does!

Ingy served his role, and now the Mini-2s are serving theirs.

Of course, now i want to ditch work for the day, and go fly...

TCS

Reactions: crazeuk
Greetings welcome to the forum! thanks for sharing!

You are most welcome!

My biggest concern is that my interest in drone's is starting to get all-consuming...

;-)

TCS
If you haven't already done so, turn the interest into making money

If you haven't already done so, turn the interest into making money
Workin' on it!

I think what I WON'T do is aerial photography (except for fun). That's a very crowded field, and to effectively compete you need a more advanced drone than my Mini-2s.

One thing I expect to do is drone training. I want to actively promote the sport of droning, and I'm a good teacher, and an experienced pilot. I'll give people everything they need to do to fly legal and safe, with an emphasis on having a whale of a good time while doing that!

TCS

I did some market research this week to find out if there is still a market.

There is. The Mini 2 is a very capable drone with high quality images.

My plan is to get some 16 to 18 year old friends kids trained up to do the photography for local business's (whilst they figure out what to.do with their lives).

I am new at this video done thing but I just wanted to say that I was super impressed at my 2S's ability to fly stable in wind.

On my first flight with it, I went to a local city park where they had a huge open group picnic area, (no people around on this day), and there was 10-15 mph sustained winds with 20-25 mph gusts.. I was a little concerned considering it was my first flight with it so I started out with very low altitude, (around 6'), hovers,
The 2S handling of the wind. was amazing! When a gust would hit it, you could see it slightly lean into it briefly and hear motors rev briefly to keep it in place.
Then I started flying around a little in slow mode, again at low altitude, (maybe up to 25' or so). It was flying as if there was no wind. The only thing I noticed was of course, flying down wind it would fly a little faster and flying up wind it fly a little slower.
So I decided to take the altitude up some and just hover to see how it handled it. I went up to 175" and just let it hover there. It didn't budge in the wind.

With the weight of the 2S, combined with gps and the flight electronic that this does an amazing job handling the wind.

I am new at this video done thing but I just wanted to say that I was super impressed at my 2S's ability to fly stable in wind.

On my first flight with it, I went to a local city park where they had a huge open group picnic area, (no people around on this day), and there was 10-15 mph sustained winds with 20-25 mph gusts.. I was a little concerned considering it was my first flight with it so I started out with very low altitude, (around 6'), hovers,
The 2S handling of the wind. was amazing! When a gust would hit it, you could see it slightly lean into it briefly and hear motors rev briefly to keep it in place.
Then I started flying around a little in slow mode, again at low altitude, (maybe up to 25' or so). It was flying as if there was no wind. The only thing I noticed was of course, flying down wind it would fly a little faster and flying up wind it fly a little slower.
So I decided to take the altitude up some and just hover to see how it handled it. I went up to 175" and just let it hover there. It didn't budge in the wind.

With the weight of the 2S, combined with gps and the flight electronic that this does an amazing job handling the wind.
I fly the Mini-2, and its ability to stay stale in the wind just blew me away.

So to speak...

;-)

TCS

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM