DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Second flight - 4900 feet!!

Bad Santa

Reactions
So, I guess I have a lot more learning to be done.
I went for my second flight, this time out of the neighborhood and away from the ceiling regulations of being near an airport.
For whatever reason, I had a few issues that I'm sure are operator error.

My phone records when you push the record button. The DJI stops recording when you push the record button.
Needless to say, I got a good video if it sitting on the ground before takeoff.

I flew for about 15 minutes and managed to get an elevation of 4900 feet!! WOW!! 😲

I was also horizontal about 200 feet. I wanted to test the TRH but pushing the button didn't seem to do anything. About a minute later the controller displayed "Return to home transmission failed".
So I panicked a little.

Then it didn't want to respond much. I was able to maneuver it closer to straight above and then decrease the altitude.

I was able to get it to landing mode a few feet off the ground and landed it (manually) within a 12" circle from where it took off.

Somewhat relieved as there were many inaccessible areas all around. I wish I had not fudged the video recording. The area was spectacular. What I saw on the screen was awesome.

Before I get too many comments about being irresponsible to not know everything before I flew, I'm learning. This was, for all purposes, a learning flight. Tells me where I need to learn more.

I need to do some take-off and record flights.
I need to get the RTH controls ironed out.
I need to improve my startup routine.
I need to practice with the controls more to get muscle memory.
I need to find out why the zoom wasn't working (I didn't mention that above)
I need to get a landing pad. Doesn't take much for a prop to hit something on the ground. Had a hard time finding a perfectly flat spot without vegetation.

Oh, and I probably should have mentioned that the 4900 foot was ASL, but the flight itself was only 55M AGL. I was on Mt Hood at coordinates 45°18'23.0"N 121°42'06.9"W which is a little over 4700ft ASL in elevation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista