DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sedona, Arizona

RS78DRONIE

Reactions
Any recommendations for flying a MAVIC 3 in the Sedona, Arizona area? I'm visiting the area in May 2022, and I'm reviewing conflicting information online. I have noticed some footage from the various Red Rock sites. Thanks.

Any recommendations for flying a MAVIC 3 in the Sedona, Arizona area? I'm visiting the area in May 2022, and I'm reviewing conflicting information online. I have noticed some footage from the various Red Rock sites. Thanks.
I live in Mesa, AZ & visit Sedona a couple times a year. A lot of the Sedona area is part of Coconino National Forest, which allows drones if you follow FAA rules. However, every time I visit I'm spooked from flying my Mini 2 because of the low-flying helicopters that seem to be everywhere! Also, there is no off-season there, so be prepared for crowds.

Reactions: RS78DRONIE
I was thinking of flying at approximately 75-100 feet high for some basic Master Shots ( drone shots, spiral, etc).

Is the B4UFLY App accurate in that area ?

With photography as main thrust, visited Sedona 4x between 2000-2009, pre-drone era. Was a great area and few tourists. Went back 4 years ago. Was aghast at large tour groups overrunning area. Peaceful trails were inundated with tour vehicles honking horns for us hiking "interlopers" to get out of their way.

Sadly, much of the world is now the same. The only solution I've found is getting to an interesting site before dawn. Not only is it the time of best light, but tour groups do not show up until later.

There are large Wilderness areas around Sedona, Munds Mountain to the east and Red Rock Secret Mountain to the north. I would suggest you get a map of those areas as you are not allowed to launch there. There are still plenty of good sites.

Thee was a recent article on Sedona (cannot recall source but think it was last weeks Sunday NYT) talking about the massive crossing that has become commonplace in Sedona. The primary highway is now commonly a parking lot. I'd try to find some side roads or fly from a hiking trail.

I was thinking of flying at approximately 75-100 feet high for some basic Master Shots ( drone shots, spiral, etc).

Is the B4UFLY App accurate in that area ?
I believe B4UFLY and (since they work together) the Aloft apps are accurate there in Sedona. I'm in Prescott, and currently we're under a NOTAM/TFR that's covering most of the city (including where I live) because of the Crook's Fire south of us.
Sedona has no restrictions, even with KSEZ being there.
Untitled1.jpgIMG_7087[1].PNG

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki