DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking advice on video settings

Marko5584

Reactions
I'd like some advice on how to improve the video quality with my MP. Here's a two minute (sped-up) clip of lake and land with the bird running a Litchi waypoint mission following a stream and circling some trees and then back. But I am not satisfied with the video quality.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Movies/Trailtest.mp4

It quickly gets dark with the trees losing a lot of detail.

The video is in 1920 x 1080 because I do not yet have the capacity to view and edit anything higher. This may be a limitation. I think my Phanthom standard did a better job at this resolution. No doubt I have to tweak some settings. I would like to hear your suggestions.

In the DJI Go app I changed the setting from auto to cloudy. It was grey and cloudy yesterday, but not dark. The green water at the base of the lake is visible early on in the video, but as the bird follows the stream toward the three trees, there is an obvious lack of color. It is as if I shot it in black and white.

Any suggestions?

Marko

Reactions: olearys
There is sharp contrast under diffuse light between the white snow and the dark trees. If auto exposure was turned on it is darkening because you are pointing the camera at the snow. Maybe try locking the exposure

I'd set the sharpening to +1 or above, below this turns on the "in" camera noise reduction which I think has messed up the definition in your trees

With snow scenes have exposure compensation quite high, maybe even +2 or it will be under-exposed.
It seems counterintuitive since snow is usually very bright, but the camera is telling you the scene is too bright for "normal" and if you go along with it, darker areas are then too dark.
This applies to all still and video cameras in snow, but with the Mavic dark areas will soon look mushy due to automated Noise Reduction.
It's fairly easy to back down any excessive brightness when editing.

Reactions: forsythem

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
algirasingh