DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to follow a cyclist that does not have the RC with him?

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all,
Well, I have been asked to make some aerial video of a group of cyclists on the road with my Mini2. The intention is that I will follow them for about a kilometer cycling in a landscape with some hills and trees, so I know I will have to get enough height not to bump my bird into a tree
But when I search the internet I always see YT movies etc demonstrating the follow or track mode but always on the remote itself.
So, is it possible to 'mark' e.g. a person to be followed while cycling without him having the RC (since I will have it to control the flight)? Do I have to use 'track' or 'follow me' mode? And which setting are best?
Sorry if this are stupid questions, but as I said, the things I found on the internet are confusing.
Thanks for helping me out by giving some tips!

Reactions: RodPad
You can certainly do it with the Tracking by just drawing a rectangle around the bike <. However !

If I were you I would not do that, and I would just openly follow the group of bikers not relying on the Tracking.

For Two Reasons: Your new to the Active Track world and that can get you compromised quickly.
Second, the most important thing is that it is even seasoned trackers can struggle to rely on the drone to move in the right direction and is very dependent on a nice slow speed. That is until the Drones get faster processors.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on the Water.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will follow that since I am indeed completely new in using 'track or 'follow' me mode, so it would be best to play it on the safe side.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Last edited:
'Litchi Magic Leash' (Android only) can do exactly that, and it's free.

You need the Litchi app (Android or iOS) on your main device
and
the Litchi Magic Leash app on the device of the person to follow.

Carefully read the instructions !

View attachment 173954

@tribar you mention that the Litchi Magic Leash app on the device of the person to follow is Android only, but that Litchi app on your main device attached to the controller can be "Android or IOS". Can anyone confirm that you can get a connection with IOS on the main device and ML on an Android follow device?
With Litchi in the follow mode on my main IOS device and connected to my Mini, I do not get the required Magic Leash icon (top left on Follow Screen) to start the connection code to connect to my Android Magic Leash device.
**Three years ago I contacted Litchi about Magic Leash not working with IOS and was quite surprised when they replied with - "Magic leash has become less relevant now that a lot of the DJI remote controllers are so small that you can (relatively) easily carry them with you. Kind Regards, Litchi" **
I think that there is much more use in following a subject who has the second phone rather than just following yourself or having to include yourself in the video frame with your subject with your FC and iPhone. For example, I would like to "follow" a motorcycle on off road trails and don't want to be in the shot while filming but able to still adjust altitude etc.
I'd appreciate if anyone can check and see if they get the ML connect icon on an IOS main device in the "Follow" mode.

Magic Leash.JPG

It's Android only.
Magic Leash is available for both Android and iOS.
Thanks @tribar . So just to confirm before I buy another version of Litchi for Android. Magic Leash on an iOS device (carried by the subject) will connect and run with an Android device with Litchi attached to the controller. Thanks in advance for any confirmation.