DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seriously impressed with the M2’s handling in the wind

dannybgoode

Reactions
Got a cheeky flight in earlier - only got 8 minutes before the rain came in but wanted to try out a new flying site in the daylight (already been to it in the dark).

Looking at Air Data the wind was blowing a steady 10m/s and gusting to 17m/s (so 20-38 mph) and she performed faultlessly. Could hold very steady all things considered and had no issues flying in to or out of the wind.

Gives me a lot of confidence she’ll be ok if the weather suddenly turns and she’s a way out.

Did hammer the battery though unsurprisingly. 8 minutes of flight and 500m took 30% of the pack.

Got a cheeky flight in earlier - only got 8 minutes before the rain came in but wanted to try out a new flying site in the daylight (already been to it in the dark).

Looking at Air Data the wind was blowing a steady 10m/s and gusting to 17m/s (so 20-38 mph) and she performed faultlessly. Could hold very steady all things considered and had no issues flying in to or out of the wind.

Gives me a lot of confidence she’ll be ok if the weather suddenly turns and she’s a way out.

Did hammer the battery though unsurprisingly. 8 minutes of flight and 500m took 30% of the pack.

Referring to "She", you must be in love with that little buzzer!!
;)

Always be on the ready to click into "Sport Mode" when flying any appreciable distance away from your Home Point in windy conditions.

Wind at higher elevations can and will be harder to fight to bring the bird back. As we know wind conditions can change radically. When clicking over into Sport Mode the Mavic will pitch forward reducing drag and slice through the wind with more efficiency and it will also have more RPM speed available to the rotors which help combat the wind against it.

Also , many say fly out against the wind so that one can wind surf it back towards yourself on the return trip.

Reactions: Prophet and FL AV8R
Always be on the ready to click into "Sport Mode" when flying any appreciable distance away from your Home Point in windy conditions.

Wind at higher elevations can and will be harder to fight to bring the bird back. As we know wind conditions can change radically. When clicking over into Sport Mode the Mavic will pitch forward reducing drag and slice through the wind with more efficiency and it will also have more RPM speed available to the rotors which help combat the wind against it.

Also , many say fly out against the wind so that one can wind surf it back towards yourself on the return trip.

Yep good tips. This was only ever going to be a short flight 250m out and back so never any danger of running out of puff.

Even in P mode she did superbly well but yes, the extra kick of sports mode can give you an edge if you need it.

Aren’t all aircraft and ships female? Anyway yes I do love her.

As per another thread I have today named her Mavis and the MA is Maude :).
Tricky one with the Mavic. Mine listens to and understands instruction, can read a map superbly and parks within an inch of where it should do. Female?!

Tricky one with the Mavic. Mine listens to and understands instruction, can read a map superbly and parks within an inch of where it should do. Female?!
LOL. I think not! That is funny.Thumbswayup

even the original mavic was a beast in high winds. I routinely fly the California Coast in 20-35 MPH winds. But... I always check the wind direction and plan my flights so that I return with the wind at my back.

If these drones weren’t so amazing in windy conditions, I’d be grounded from March Through October as it is windy every day during those months

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
This is a man who likes to live dangerously . I like your logic.

Aren’t all aircraft and ships female? Anyway yes I do love her.

As per another thread I have today named her Mavis and the MA is Maude :).

To declare such objects female is kind of an “Anglo-Saxon thing”...[emoji3]

Am I the only one that gets endless wind warnings popping up over and over again on my screen while flying in higher winds? Very annoying. Because of that, I usually stay on the ground on windy days.

Am I the only one that gets endless wind warnings popping up over and over again on my screen while flying in higher winds? Very annoying. Because of that, I usually stay on the ground on windy days.

You must have one of those male Mavics that's scared of flying.

Oh I get the warnings but recklessly ignore them!

I've gotten them alot on some flights. I have the C2 button set to close popups. Alot easier and faster than closing them on the screen.

As far as stability in the wind, I saw a guy on youtube that had the M2P hovering in the center of a room in his house, and he took a leaf blower to it. You could see it struggling but it never lost its position. I was quite impressed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara