DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting a specific location to fly to

docster

Reactions
So I just ordered my Mavic Pro, as an upgrade from my Traxxas Aton. The only thing I did not like about the Aton was that there is not FPV with a gopro. But i will keep it as a purely sport quad as it far outperforms the MP in that sense. But the MP is superior in every other way.

On to my question...
I am looking to create a time lapse like clip of my new house being built. Building starts in a few weeks. What i would love to do, would be to set a coordinate that the drone will fly to the same altitude and location, and i can snap the picture. That way they are all from the same angle and height. Is there a way to save a location in DJI GO4 that will let me do this. Any other thoughts on how to achieve this. I could of course just use my best guess, but then the images will never truly line up, even in post editing. For the front of the house I have a tree, that I am attaching a mount to. I will go and place my camera there to take an image every few days or so. Would like to be able to do the same with the MP. All help appreciated.

Maybe Litchi can do it.
I have no 1st hand experienced w/ it but many here has so....standby!

hi
you want LITCHI app. Iv not used it but a friend was telling me he was going to download litchi to do exactly what you want to do.
not seen him since before Christmas so cant say how its been working out for him.

Litchi will do this.

You will need to create a waypoint on the map and get it to raise to whatever altitude, stop, then take a still photo. Add a point of interest on the map for your camera to point at and make sure you set that at a reasonable height. Save that mission and just run that waypoint mission every time.

This is how I would do it anyway, will run off GPS coordinates so should keep pretty uniform.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I concur with mitchell-a Litchi will definitely do what you ask, so will Auto-flights "Autopilot " good luck
Waylander

Litchi can do it and has more options for control over the camera but what you want to do it would also be fairly easy in the DJI go app. Just set a way point mission fly to that spot and snap the shot. The only thing you'd need to do manually is set the angle of the camera. Not hard to do with some known visual reference points to frame off.

If you are using iOS then download DJI Ground Station Pro, you can setup a mission and play it over and over...

Thank you all for the help. Very helpful. Looking forward to trying this out!

As others have stated the free DJIGO4 app that everyone uses as thier "base" application for the DJI Mavic Pro has a waypoint feature.
This waypoint feature will indeed allow you to fly to a specific set of points or just one point (as you may need) Then it can take a snap and/ or video for you.
This option is free and just requires one to fly to the location manually using the Remote Controller once to setup and frame the shot.

Lichti- Is a pay for application that will allow one to accomplish this as well. It does not require one to first fly to the location using battery power , but can plot a waypoint in that fashion if you like. It offers the added ability to plan the mission online via thier "Mission Hub" or from the device that will be used to control the Mavic Pro. This allows one to not have to prefly the path and have it already "programmed" . The Mission is then uploaded to the Mavic Pro before the flight takes place. This is advantageous if you would rather spend your drone battery life on flying the mission rather than planning it and then flying it.

Both apps save these missions so one can refly them again and again.

DJI's Ground Station that was also mentioned can preplan a fight path as well before one flys it and its a free download for use. It is available for IOs devices only at this time.

Bear in mind - While these applications will fly missions with a good deal of precision they will never be in the exact same place for an image capture each time. There will be slight variances based on the accuracy of ones GPS location being interpreted by the software and the onboard sensors of the Mavic Pro. These slight variances may cause a bit of ghosting (image shift) if one were to take all the successive images and play them back one after another in a movie style format.

Reactions: waylander
HI JMF

I have looked on both Apple and DJI sites but cannot find the software "DJI Ground Station Pro", can you please post a link to where I might get it from..
Many Thanks
Waylander

Reactions: JohnnyD913
HI JMF

I have looked on both Apple and DJI sites but cannot find the software "DJI Ground Station Pro", can you please post a link to where I might get it from..
Many Thanks
Waylander

I cannot find it from my devices on the App store, the link provided above by Keule works but not sure if it can be downloaded to your device ?

I cannot find it from my devices on the App store, the link provided above by Keule works but not sure if it can be downloaded to your device ?
Are you searching the App Store on an iPad?

So I just ordered my Mavic Pro, as an upgrade from my Traxxas Aton. The only thing I did not like about the Aton was that there is not FPV with a gopro. But i will keep it as a purely sport quad as it far outperforms the MP in that sense. But the MP is superior in every other way.

On to my question...
I am looking to create a time lapse like clip of my new house being built. Building starts in a few weeks. What i would love to do, would be to set a coordinate that the drone will fly to the same altitude and location, and i can snap the picture. That way they are all from the same angle and height. Is there a way to save a location in DJI GO4 that will let me do this. Any other thoughts on how to achieve this. I could of course just use my best guess, but then the images will never truly line up, even in post editing. For the front of the house I have a tree, that I am attaching a mount to. I will go and place my camera there to take an image every few days or so. Would like to be able to do the same with the MP. All help appreciated.
Yes, I used the GO4 waypoints to record a location, save it, take the video. Return and fly the "mission" the Mavic will fly up to the same location, shoot the video, works every time.

I am using Litchi to run a mission around a house under construction and am merging the videos together to get a time-lapse video of the construction. I fly it when weather and daylight allow, which for the Seattle area may be only once a week. I chose Litchi because it has more control over the mission and can be edited to tweak as necessary. As someone mentioned, the path is not exact from one day to another but is close enough for my purposes. Whatever program you use, you need to insure that your focus and exposure are set correctly. I pause my mission just before it starts it's orbit so I can set the focus and exposure, then I start the video and let it proceed.

On to my question...
Litchi every day

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard