DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting current height reference point in mid-flight

vyruz

Reactions
Hi,

I've had a MP for about 4 months now, but I fly it way to little, so I'm really not that experienced, I've owned other drones in the past and even built some myself but it's mainly the intelligent flight modes the MP features that I'm struggling with.

Today we went hiking around and across the 'Geierlay', Germany's longest hanging bridge, pretty awesome :)

I wanted to get a video of us and our dogs as we were walking across, having the MP active track us in profile mode. Since this bridge is quite the attraction, and I wanted to get us walking the whole way across, having the drone take of in the middle of the bridge was not really an option. So I had the MP take off at one side of the bridge, and fly it out a little to clear the trees, and then have it hover at equal height with the bridge and enable active track as we came in the picture. Unfortunately when I tried that, the DJI GO app started complaining about the height, which was at that point -17 meters, and that was not even in the middle of the bridge. This makes sense as a hanging bridge typically lowers down quite a bit towards the middle. So Unfortunately I was only able to capture a video of about +10m height, which was then about 30m above us, not really what I wanted...

So how could/should I have dealt with this situation? Is there someway to tell the MP at a certain point to use whatever height it currently reads, and set that as its 0-reference point? Or is there a way to force the active track mode to start tracking regardless of its height reading?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi,

I've had a MP for about 4 months now, but I fly it way to little, so I'm really not that experienced, I've owned other drones in the past and even built some myself but it's mainly the intelligent flight modes the MP features that I'm struggling with.

Today we went hiking around and across the 'Geierlay', Germany's longest hanging bridge, pretty awesome :)

I wanted to get a video of us and our dogs as we were walking across, having the MP active track us in profile mode. Since this bridge is quite the attraction, and I wanted to get us walking the whole way across, having the drone take of in the middle of the bridge was not really an option. So I had the MP take off at one side of the bridge, and fly it out a little to clear the trees, and then have it hover at equal height with the bridge and enable active track as we came in the picture. Unfortunately when I tried that, the DJI GO app started complaining about the height, which was at that point -17 meters, and that was not even in the middle of the bridge. This makes sense as a hanging bridge typically lowers down quite a bit towards the middle. So Unfortunately I was only able to capture a video of about +10m height, which was then about 30m above us, not really what I wanted...

So how could/should I have dealt with this situation? Is there someway to tell the MP at a certain point to use whatever height it currently reads, and set that as its 0-reference point? Or is there a way to force the active track mode to start tracking regardless of its height reading?

Thanks for any advice!
EDIT. sorry you said this was not an option, I am not sure what to do, maybe a hyperbaric chamber?. {Hmm... that is a new one, the only thing I can think of is to take off from the lowest part of the bridge and fly back to the end of the bridge where you would start recording. I do not believe you can edit the values in DJI GO4.}

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erpator