DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting for Slower Yaw Control?

Piper J3

Reactions
Is there a setting to allow slower yaw control (CW/CCW rotation – left stick) of the quadcopter when flying in normal mode? I like the slow yaw response when flying in Tripod mode but don’t like the slow forward speed. It would be ideal if I could fly in normal mode but have slow yaw control input.

That would affect your flight characteristics when turning using both sticks. Might get confusing unless you habitually left it in slower yaw mode and practised a bit.

Is there a setting to allow slower yaw control (CW/CCW rotation – left stick) of the quadcopter when flying in normal mode? I like the slow yaw response when flying in Tripod mode but don’t like the slow forward speed. It would be ideal if I could fly in normal mode but have slow yaw control input.

Does the Fly App allow for Expo? Sounds like you could tweak that.
Edit: just read that it doesn't, but has been requested on updates...cross your fingers and hope DJI gives you that feature. ;)

That’s assuming that the MA2 FW & DJI Fly app have both been updated
Correct hence why I mentioned it.

The updated fly app worked fine with the old firmware as it came out afterwards. So I’m guessing the OP could just check his DJI fly software version, and not necessarily worry about the drone FW. But I would do both either way as I am guessing they work hand in hand.

op can check the FW & app version in the “about” section of the options screens.
New FW is v1.00.0340

Not sure if I like the yaw option...reason is I reduce the rate for smoothness then when flying see something I need a rapid pan for and lose it in the frame as I yaw quick enough. Might go back to just using incremented inputs

Not sure if I like the yaw option...reason is I reduce the rate for smoothness then when flying see something I need a rapid pan for and lose it in the frame as I yaw quick enough. Might go back to just using incremented inputs

I was under the impression the setting change is on an S-curve basis. So both the default- and any adjustments are incremental, as such. In other words if you push the stick to the limit stop the a/c will yaw just as fast. The difference is how it gets there. The shape of the S-curve before you hit the limit is different, i.e. doesn't go so far out from the diagonal straight line. I'm finding this hard to explain and will try and find a pic that I saw recently.

Here we go, GO4 not Fly, but maybe the same algorithm:

Last edited:
Theoretically you only want slow/smooth yaw for video shooting. General flight it make your craft less maneuverable. So I keep higher settings And yes personally I like concentrating on just using smooth inputs instead if a video opportunity arises.

Unless I have a preplanned shot I keep the yaw reasonably agile

if I have a specific shot in mind that is slow moving I normally use tripod mode. The beauty is even tripod mode has settings you can dial in. But if I need the speed of say normal or sports mode and I have a specific shot I will adjust the yaw/gimbal speeds & smoothness accordingly only with that specific shot and I might practice with it, do a trial run.

the more I use it the more I will land on specific numbers as it’s new still finding the right settings for me.

It’s not an s-curve. It has 2 settings speed. Which is general speed of the rotation with a natural momentum curve. Then the smoothness setting. Which is an overshoot buffet. So the higher the number the more the yaw will overshoot and decrease speed in a normal curve. Zero is a pure stop it feels.

as I mentioned above all the settings can be adjusted separately and stored for all 3 modes. Sports/normal/tripod.

So it's different to the GO4 algorithm then? Or just not visible as an S curve in the UI? I suspect the latter, with the two hard settings calling up their respective presets. Easy to test if you have an MA2 handy. Spin it full yaw at each setting in each mode. If it rotates at the same speed within each mode it's an S curve. If not, it's not, and max yaw is being controlled, not solely the way it gets there.

Either way, that's another GO4 UI improvement to add to the Fly wish list.

Last edited:
So it's different to the GO4 algorithm then? Or just not visible as an S curve in the UI? I suspect the latter, with the two hard settings calling up their respective presets. Easy to test if you have an MA2 handy. Spin it full yaw at each setting in each mode. If it rotates at the same speed within each mode it's an S curve. If not, it's not, and max yaw is being controlled, not solely the way it gets there.

Either way, that's another GO4 UI improvement to add to the Fly wish list.
It could well be an s-curve but as far as flying it directly it feels linear enough anecdotally that is, especially going through the different speed settings from both setting extremes.

All movements require momentum so obviously there is a initial curve. But I don't think it's a software curve rather just physics. Then again I just might not either notice it enough or understand fully. I'm very familiar with Exponential curves. I see how the smoothness setting adds a curve or more a softening of the curve at the end of movement. But with that at zero the stop has really low latency, as stated earlier, the initial movement feels linear (physics withstanding) to me.

Definitely something I'd be interested in getting to the bottom with some data on this! I like knowing the finer technical points.

Reactions: rehkram
Yes, I agree, it's a very interesting topic. No such thing as too much information when it comes to these drones.

I'm sorry I didn't read carefully everyone's response...as usual..:oops:
that control is under the gimbal control

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan