DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting sun issue

gav

Reactions
Gudday from aussie land, just a general question . The other day I sent my mavic pro up to capture a setting sun on the cliffs where I live but she got a wee bit out of sight so once finished filming I pressed return to home , all was good but then up come the msg obstacle and it shot up to max alt . I freaked as there was no way I could see it . Eventually it returned at its max but I had to overide the landing as it didnt want to come down.Now I think what happened was that it was flying into the setting sun and it seen it as a obstacle and that's why it shot up to its max alt. Could this be true? Has anyone else experienced this? I have since changed the max alt to lower so as I can spot it .

YES the sun can trigger obstacle avoidance. You can turn the sensors off in those cases, or switching to sport mode i THINK disables it as well.

Now I think what happened was that it was flying into the setting sun and it seen it as a obstacle and that's why it shot up to its max alt. Could this be true? Has anyone else experienced this? I have since changed the max alt to lower so as I can spot it .

Yes. That's probably what happened. The Mavic's sensors see a setting sun as an obstacle and can stop flying forward when flying freely or can see it as an obstacle to be avoided when RTH is triggered into the sun. If you're flying back into the sun with RTH (and out of LOS or out of signal range), the Mavic may never return. You can turn off obstacle avoidance if you are possibly flying towards the sun near the horizon and might need RTH.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard