DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shanghai Drone footage - DJI Mavic 2 Pro

Yeah I was also suprised by the output of the night shots.
Settings were: ISO 400, f 2.5 and 1/50
I just tweaked it a bit in PremierePro, but no denoiser or something.
Good to know. Last weekend I shot some night footage in San Francisco at EV1, f 2.8 and 1/60 and it was underexposed

It's kind of impossible to register without a Chinese phone#.

Surely thats a non-issue. Just buy a sim card at the airport or any of the thousands of mobile phone shops in town just like any other country ?

Reactions: MPone
Surely thats a non-issue. Just buy a sim card at the airport or any of the thousands of mobile phone shops in town just like any other country ?

I am not so sure, my Chinese friend told me you need an ID card to buy a SIM Card in China, it is very restricitive.

Did you have trouble getting permission to launch from the other building?

Well, some places were rooftop bars and sometimes they declined, but others worked.
The other building was the rooftop of the office of my colleague.
But yeah I guess without any connections you cannot get on top of the building as you need some form of ID card.

Does the DJI Go4 app ask for a registration number before any drone flights?

It asks for the mobile phone number you have registered your drone with and will sent a Code to this number, which you then have to enter into the DJI App. Otherwise no chance to take-off.

It asks for the mobile phone number you have registered your drone with and will sent a Code to this number, which you then have to enter into the DJI App. Otherwise no chance to take-off.

Thanks for the info. They make it so difficult. Looks like I got to get a chinese sim or use a previous version of the DJI Go4 to bypass all these checks.

I am not so sure, my Chinese friend told me you need an ID card to buy a SIM Card in China, it is very restricitive.

No its not. As a foreigner you just need a passport (which they copy). Its identical to pretty much every other country i can think of. A 2 minute task at the arrival airport before getting a taxi out of there.

Thanks for the info. They make it so difficult. Looks like I got to get a chinese sim or use a previous version of the DJI Go4 to bypass all these checks.

No they dont make it difficult. Get a local sim. A process that will take less than 2 minutes at any airport or phone shop. Just like any other country.

Reactions: DKAerial
Sounds like you did all the "homework" necessary to achieve this result. Awesome video. I would be to stressed to tackle something like that.

Hey guys,

just back from my vacation in China, where I took some great footage of Shanghai.
This city is just amazing:

If you have any questions about drone flying in China let me know.

Feedback welcome!

Thanks!
That was absolutely beautiful what editing suite are you using?

Cricky, what an amazing piece of work, you've got some guts to do that kind of flying, and now I can see why the Americans are worried about China!!!

Cricky, what an amazing piece of work, you've got some guts to do that kind of flying, and now I can see why the Americans are worried about China!!!

Thanks!
Yeah pretty impressive what they have built over the last 20 years.

Only limitation your drone needs to be registered in China, even the DJI App will check if you are registered otherwise you are grounded.

How did you register the drone? I’m planning on visiting Beijing in late June and was hoping to fly a quiet part of the Great Wall (as I read Beijing is restricted). What do I need to do to register the drone?

How did you register the drone? I’m planning on visiting Beijing in late June and was hoping to fly a quiet part of the Great Wall (as I read Beijing is restricted). What do I need to do to register the drone?

This site explaines it pretty good: How to Fly and Register a Drone in China | Updated 2019 Regulations
Biggest problem is you need a chinese mobile phone number., no other chance.

Also check the DJI No-Fly Zone map for China it is pretty up-to-date.
Because I think the Great Wall is a no-fly zone by now. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet