DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharing drone video with news stations

Thanks BigAl07,

I am in the process of setting up meetings with local authorities to introduce myself and learn how I can effectively do my job without impacting theirs. I hope to build the relationship in a way that makes them feel at ease when I am on the scene because they trust that have knowledge of their SOPs and will not interfere.

Very well done. It's not difficult as long as some other UAS operator hasn't already "spoiled the water" and made them Anti-Drone! If you need any guidance drop me a note and I'll gladly help in any way I can.

Use care when flying around scenes with first responders. Be sure to not impact the operation and maintain situational awareness. Land immediately if LifeFlight is on the way.
In addition to landing immediately, I'd add "turn off the drone". If you leave the drone turned on in order to review footage then it may still activate drone avoidance technology that works by detecting the drone's RF communication protocols.

I'm not familiar with the US regulations, but here in Canada the Civil Aviation Regulations state:

901.12 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft over or within the security perimeter established by a public authority in response to an emergency.

While I fully respect the right to "Gather News" etc I feel like any UAS flights should at the least be coordinated with the on-scene Incident Commander regardless of intent of the flight. Just my 2-cents from flying on both sides of the equation regularly.
I feel the opposite way, I don't think you should ask permission just the same way News channels don't ask permission, I feel like if you have the opportunity to film something unusual then grab the chance!
you never know, you might film a criminal that helps solve a case RE arson or something?

I feel the opposite way, I don't think you should ask permission just the same way News channels don't ask permission, I feel like if you have the opportunity to film something unusual then grab the chance!
you never know, you might film a criminal that helps solve a case RE arson or something?
Do arsonists wait around with one hand holding the accelerant, the other a lighter after starting their fires?

Do they often wave at the drones?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a video showing how law enforcement uses drones. I am so grateful that they are using drones.

But I thought we were talking about Joe Public launching his drone after he sees a column of smoke with the dream of catching the arsonist in the act.
After the fire has burned long enough to send up a column.
After the drone pilot fires up his drone, and flies to the scene.
Where the arsonist waits to be caught.
?

Reactions: umanbean
I'm going to go one step further and I'm not trying to start a new topic but anytime you have to ask for permission, you run the risk of being told "no."

As for arsonists, they have been known to stand around in teh crowd that gathers so they can view their work but they are smart as well and know when to leave just before the emergency crews arrive. Personally I would never try to fly my drone towards any fire but I have been known to fly up to an intersection and watch the area for a couple of minutes when I've heard sirens blaring....trying to catch any traffic activity. But I'm just fooling myself, the emergency crews here never speed, they always stop at the intersection when they have a red light regardless if they have lights/sirens blaring, and they have those clickers. A fire truck racing towards the intersection here is uneventful to say the least.

An Italian arsonist was caught by a drone! This is the only case google shows.
Here is the background: Italian authorities deployed 30 drones to catch the arsonist. He was caught by one drone:

Here in Seattle a drone pilot used his drone to identify and recover his and other's stolen cars from a Homeless camp/Chop Shop.

However I find it irresponsible to recommend anyone fly their drone to an active crime scene, fire, or motor vehicle accident to get footage, maybe even possibly catch a criminal. The risk mitigation isn't being deployed, just the drone...

News Channels have established Operating Standards and they are very good at staying out of the way. How do I know, I've been the one in the news station briefing the UAS crew and establishing those Operating Standards.

How would you feel if someone you loved (or you) didn't get Life Saving help because some cavalier UAS operator wanted to grab that footage to try and bolster their social reputation? Your careless actions could indeed cost someone their LIFE! Is that drone footage really worth that RISK?

In some areas (I don't know about England) it's possible any "evidence" gathered by a UAS is inadmissible into court depending on the circumstances etc. It's not the Wild Wild West where you can do whatever makes you feel good and tickles your fancy. We have rules, regulations, and hopefully some degree or Moral Integrity so that we don't put the LIFE of others at risk nilly willy.

This same goes for your comment @mavic3usa

News Channels have established Operating Standards and they are very good at staying out of the way. How do I know, I've been the one in the news station briefing the UAS crew and establishing those Operating Standards.
Of course then you would say that, they have a financial incentive to be the only ones flying there .
How would you feel if someone you loved (or you) didn't get Life Saving help
it's never happened, never will happen, it's fantasy.
because some cavalier UAS operator wanted to grab that footage to try and bolster their social reputation?
I don't use social media.
Your careless actions could indeed cost someone their LIFE! Is that drone footage really worth that RISK?
I haven't done anything, again with the fantasy...

Of course then you would say that, they have a financial incentive to be the only ones flying there
They have the INTERGRITY to do what's right and not HINDER the EMERGENCY SERVICES on the ground trying to SAVE LIVES! It's really that simple and basic.

it's never happened, never will happen, it's fantasy.
Maybe it hasn't happened to YOU personally but it HAS happened. That's very narcissistic of an attitude to have for your fellow mankind and lack of compassion for their well being and LIFE.

Just ONE quick search provided these REAL WORLD facts (don't let the facts cloud your grandeur judgement though)

Just ONE quick search provided these REAL WORLD facts (don't let the facts cloud your grandeur judgement though)
only an idiot would fly near a hospital, here in the UK we can't anyway.

only an idiot would fly near a hospital, here in the UK we can't anyway.

by ANY chance did you notice the other 2 links? Only ONE of those was "hospital" related. Let's try this again...

Drone delays medical helicopter from taking off (aka at the SCENE of the incident)

by ANY chance did you notice the other 2 links? Only ONE of those was "hospital" related. Let's try this again...

Drone delays medical helicopter from taking off (aka at the SCENE of the incident)
I didn't mention helicopters in the original post you added that after, obviously when there's a helicopter around (police or air ambulance) you wouldn't fly.
what you asked was this:
How would you feel if someone you loved (or you) didn't get Life Saving help
you using helicopters is an extreme example, I didn't expect, because it's a universal logic that only someone with serious mental health problems would do.
that ain't me pal.

I didn't mention helicopters in the original post you added that after, obviously when there's a helicopter around (police or air ambulance) you wouldn't fly.
what you asked was this:

you using helicopters is an extreme example, I didn't expect, because it's a universal logic that only someone with serious mental health problems would do.
that ain't me pal.
You should have quit while you were ahead just a little behind.

what you asked was this:

that ain't me pal.
actually you jumped into a conversation about EXACTLY that and yet you want to try and bow out. You injected yourself into this whole conversation several times and when I call you out and prove you're wrong you try to avoid and deflect. I provided links... you deflected... I provided more links and you then insist that's an extreme example yada yada yada.

Here's the post where you injected yourself claiming you have some kind of RIGHT to capture data at an incident (Which is the whole premise of this post, more or less)....

Fact is you've made your point abundantly clear... if you want to fly and film you don't give a crap about anyone else because you feel you have some God given right to fly your UAS at an accident scene. No need to coordinate with the Emergency Services on the ground (remember, we aren't talking about flying near a hospital but at the SCENE of an accident etc) you just want to launch your UAS and fly willy nilly completely disregarding anything else going on in the area. Very VERY flawed and reckless logic.

Here's the post where you injected yourself claiming you have some kind of RIGHT to capture data at an incident (Which is the whole premise of this post, more or less)....
I do have that right, we all do, NOT just people who the Government licence with NEWS passes.
thats the Law.
may be thats why you're bitter about my opinion?
which leads me to my next point
Fact is you've made your point abundantly clear...
I did yes & thats all it is an opinion, that doesn't mean you should assume I'm "reckless, that I don't give a crap about anyone else & that my opinion is flawed,"
thats just your opinion ^ where we differ, I don't voice negative opinions on people based on emotion.
You injected yourself into this whole conversation several times
this is a social network right? or am I meant to just sit & read your posts.
you just want to launch your UAS and fly willy nilly completely disregarding anything else going on in the area. Very VERY flawed and reckless logic.
this is a bizarre conclusion from our conversation so far, we should just leave it here & agree to disagree.

iu

• Sad
Reactions: Torque
I did yes & thats all it is an opinion, that doesn't mean you should assume I'm "reckless, that I don't give a crap about anyone else & that my opinion is flawed,"
thats just your opinion ^ where we differ, I don't voice negative opinions on people based on emotion.

this is a social network right? or am I meant to just sit & read your posts.

this is a bizarre conclusion from our conversation so far, we should just leave it here & agree to disagree.
"I do have that right, we all do, NOT just people who the Government licence with NEWS passes.
thats the Law."

You do NOT have the right to do whatever you want IF it could harm/endanger someone's life. Gathering images for your own personal gain is not worth the potential to delay/cancel Life Saving treatment. That's 100% reckless regardless of how you try to spin and avoid it. I'm going by YOUR very own words... PERIOD!

I don't know how it is in your country but on this side of the pond, if you fly and hamper Emergency Services in any way it is NOT LEGAL. Regardless of how much you are anti-govt it's still against the LAW to interfere with EMERGENCY SERVICES in any way.

You're very welcome to voice your opinion but rest assured when you avoid/blur/deflect the facts someone is going to call you out which I have done several times. No need to get your feelings hurt I'm just pointing out the obvious, showing facts, and providing links to prove my points.

This isn't just a mere hobby for me. I do this daily as a career and as you can tell I'm VERY passionate about it and helping others. Sometimes it feels good to put the well being of someone else ahead of your own desires.

Reactions: Torque and Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada