DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 She wants to Sell the Boat! Sailing remote Indonesia

Vernon

Reactions
Sailing full time can be very challenging! There is so much out of our control, so much that can go wrong. Marie is feeling pretty upset during a very rough crossing from Sumbawa to Sulawesi, wondering why we are even doing this. Our 5 month old son Eli is on her mind and the potential danger we are putting him in. Very valid thoughts for a parent to have. Sailing full time can also be very rewarding! Being in amazing unique places and witnessing the amazing nature. The culture differences with the people we meet and our own learning along the way. Overcoming challenges and feeling stronger because of it. Its such a fine balance. How long will it last?

Vernon, I love your videos, but you might take a break from sailing and give Eli some time to grow. You can always film on dry land :) and then when he's older start sailing again. Just a thought. But I can understand Marie's concern. But at the same time there are dangers everywhere and there is no way of protecting him from them all.

Reactions: Vernon and sarahb
Listen to her. You may lose her if you don't

Reactions: Vernon
Sailing full time can be very challenging! There is so much out of our control, so much that can go wrong. Marie is feeling pretty upset during a very rough crossing from Sumbawa to Sulawesi, wondering why we are even doing this. Our 5 month old son Eli is on her mind and the potential danger we are putting him in. Very valid thoughts for a parent to have. Sailing full time can also be very rewarding! Being in amazing unique places and witnessing the amazing nature. The culture differences with the people we meet and our own learning along the way. Overcoming challenges and feeling stronger because of it. Its such a fine balance. How long will it last?

To be honest, Vernon, this video scared the s..t out of me, hearing Marie stress out about the risks of the voyage, numerous squalls, etc. If you want my vote (which I'm sure you don't), I'd give it a break for several years until the baby is able to grow up a bit, get some human socialization, schooling, etc. It is really not fair to restrict the child's life and keep him from getting socialized and aware of humanity out there. In making the decision to have a child, you have already pre-decided in your minds, to raise him without the boat. At the very least, the child does not have a say now in his future. I know you guys do not want to hear this kind of talk.

Dale
Miami

From someone who knows that area and Indo captains I would sail in places a bit more civilized and with real healthcare. How is your wife going to care for him and the boat and get you out of the water if you go overboard or if your little cat sinks? Do either of you know star navigation in case the electronics act up? Also, learn some Bahasa Indonesia first so you know what they are saying. Hire a responsible Indonesian deckhand to travel over to Raja Ampat or wherever you're going to help spell you and stand watch. Getting no sleep will be a daily occurrence if you don't make some changes and it sounds like you really need a Plan B and C. If you are out of the picture, what happens? Also, not all of the reefs are charted. Sailing at night can be dicey in central Indo. Sail around The Keys or something instead, not Sulawesi!! And the title? A NEW collision? One isn't enough?

Last edited:
As usual Vern, a great video. I always look forward to the next one. What an adventure 🤔

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki