DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ships and Boats

ntpd

Reactions
What are the rules for flying near or over boats and ships? I've seen a lot of videos of drones "chasing" boats that are pretty cool.

I tried myself today but wasn't sure if I was ok to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Lot of that going on around here these days.... lol
Just enjoy the Mavic.... can't wait to see your cool vids! Thumbswayup

b234237eed20b7664973b393fb8edd54.jpg
5b45973339938c7cf46c9a2fd00140f7.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Very nice

Thanks! I'm a super newbie pilot. Today was my 18th flight and was the first one I did anything more than "training" maneuvers.

I finally felt comfortable trusting the drone and its intelligence.

Last edited:
I'm unaware of any regulations prohibiting filming ships. However, be aware that some "ports" and inlets where ships are entering and leaving the port are within 5 nm of an airport, such as Ft. Lauderdale, FL which is Class C airspace. Also understand that "ports" themselves are sensitive areas for Homeland Security and flying drones within ports is typically prohibited. More and more cruise ships are prohibiting passengers from taking drones on board, even if they're being used at a port of call. There's a level of over reacting with legislation, but it's usually caused by unprofessional and irresponsible operators. We need to help ourselves by encouraging safe and responsible operations.

You are not allowed to fly in a harbour.
That is if you live in the Netherlands.

In the UK you cannot be within 50 metres of a vessel without its permission. If its docked or in a harbour then this area may be off limits too.

Not sure if its ok or not to fly near a ship or a boat. But in my case, i just bring my mavic and fly around. Check it out, its a FSO (Floating Storage and Offloading facilities) ready to be towed away to an oil field location.

p/s : It was at a distance of 5km from the controller, i was at the nearby chalet during my vacation.

Attachments

• IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Bizo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member