DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shooting in Single mode, manual settings always results in completely black (underexposed) image. 48MP manual settings work properly. Firmware 1.6.9

Hertzdonut

Reactions
DJI Fly app, 1.6.9

This is a new one for me. Had my MA2 for over a year, no issues with anything.

I was originally blaming myself for careless shooting settings, but through some troubleshooting was able to replicate the problem. If I am shooting stills, and use the 48MP setting, and switch to manual (Pro) mode, I can dial in the exposure I want, (the image on my iPad reflects the change in exposure) and the image gets recorded as it should. The 48MP setting also works as it should in Auto mode.

If I switch to Single, using Auto mode, the image gets recorded properly. However, if I switch to manual (Pro) mode, I noticed that regardless of the exposure changes, my iPad screen does not show the exposure changes, and even if I don't make any exposure changes, the image that it takes is just black. Solid black. (I'm assuming completely underexposed)

I did a few test shots in 48MP manual, completely blowing it out (heavily overexposed), noted the settings, and applied the same settings in Single manual mode. The 48MP shot recorded was blown out, as expected, but the image recorded from Single was a solid black image.

fyi, type of device, whether I use my iPad or iPhone, the result is the same. And not that it matters, but I use the regular remote control.

Can anyone else verify this...or not verify, as the case may be!

- Jeff

You might compare the exposure settings in the EXIF information for the 12 MP and 48 MP photos you shot with identical settings. That might provide a clue as to what's happening. If the EXIF exposure settings are the same, there's definitely a problem.

Reactions: Hertzdonut
That's a good idea, MS Coast! I will check that out tonight after work. Now I'm wondering if the settings are "stuck" somehow in Single manual mode. Meaning, despite making changes, the settings aren't being retained. 🤔

Yep, the changes I make in manual mode for Single aren't being retained. Here's the pertinent EXIF data...

This is for the 48MP, which works as it should. Note f/2.8 @ .8 sec. The EV indicates overexposure of 1.7.

48MP-shutter-plus_.8.png

In Single mode, with the exact same choices made, this is what gets recorded. Instead of f/2.8 @ .8, there is no (??) f/stop, and the shutter is 1/6400.

Single-shutter-plus_.8.png

Trying one more thing. In Single mode, changing the EV only. Interestingly enough, my screen reflects the exposure changes, but the image recorded is still solid black despite the recorded +1.7 EV. Again, note the lack of f/stop and the 1/6400 shutter speed.

Single-EV-plus_1.7.png

Does anybody else's Single manual mode work improperly like this?

Yep, the changes I make in manual mode for Single aren't being retained. Here's the pertinent EXIF data...

This is for the 48MP, which works as it should. Note f/2.8 @ .8 sec. The EV indicates overexposure of 1.7.

View attachment 152367

In Single mode, with the exact same choices made, this is what gets recorded. Instead of f/2.8 @ .8, there is no (??) f/stop, and the shutter is 1/6400.

View attachment 152368

Trying one more thing. In Single mode, changing the EV only. Interestingly enough, my screen reflects the exposure changes, but the image recorded is still solid black despite the recorded +1.7 EV. Again, note the lack of f/stop and the 1/6400 shutter speed.

View attachment 152369

Does anybody else's Single manual mode work improperly like this?

Well, that is weird. Looks like those settings values aren't being written into memory properly on your particular system. You might try re-flashing (refreshing) the firmware for both the controller and the drone. You can do that with the DJI Assistant.

Thanks for the suggestion, MS!

Unfortunately, DJI Assistant 2 that is compatible with the Air 2 doesn't work with Mac OS 11 or above (I'm on 12.4). The note says it will be updated in the future...which is doubtful as the last update for that version was two years ago.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just always shoot stills in 48MP.

Thanks for the suggestion, MS!

Unfortunately, DJI Assistant 2 that is compatible with the Air 2 doesn't work with Mac OS 11 or above (I'm on 12.4). The note says it will be updated in the future...which is doubtful as the last update for that version was two years ago.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just always shoot stills in 48MP.
Is this the version you're looking at? It's showing a 5/11/22 date.

I was! I originally avoided it because the compatibility shown didn't include the Air 2. But Casey indicated above that it works on his system, so I'm going to give it a go.

Screen grab:

DJIAssistant2.png

DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic listed the MA2 as being compatible, and that's the version from 2020. I might try that one next if I run into any roadblocks.

Reactions: MS Coast
Unfortunately, neither version of software was successful at completing a Refresh. The Consumer Drone Series hung up at 13% for 15 minutes. I finally quit it...hoping I hadn't hosed my controller. Running the Mavic version showed no firmware available. So I bailed out of that.

I'm running 12.4, but on an M1 Macbook Pro. Maybe that contributed to the non-success.

So...Plan C.

I run a Windows emulator (Parallels, Win11) so I'm going to try it from that side next.

I was able to successfully Refresh my controller using the Consumer Drone Series version via my Windows 11 emulator. I didn't get a chance to test yet whether this has solved my original issue. I will report back once I do.

Oh, I did try to Refresh my MA2, but DJI Assistant never recognized it as being on and plugged in. Maybe because that version of the software only supports an MA2S, and not an MA2?

Regardless, I intend to give it one more try...

Grabbed a moment to try again. However, the MA2 is not recognized, whether it is plugged directly into my laptop or to the controller (and then the controller is on and plugged in to my laptop)

I downloaded the Mavic version and ran it, but still no dice. Both versions recognized my controller, though. (FYI, the Mavic version still shows that it can’t load the firmware list)

Time for more thinkin’…

Sorry it's not working for you. I have the Smart Controller and have to use my smart phone as a hot spot. So with my RC on and connected to the controller and all is ready to fly I connect to the hot spot. That's my procedure. I think you need to connect to Wifi but remember I just turned 75 and my pencil isn't as sharp as it used to be.

Reactions: Hertzdonut
Appreciate the thought, Casey. Had to chuckle about the pencil point. I may be a touch younger, but many of my conversations revolve around, "Crap. Forgot what I was going to say."

• Haha
Reactions: CaseyK
I was visiting my brother-in-law this weekend and we discovered his Mavic Air 2 has the exact same problem. When in PRO MODE the shutter speed can be adjusted but the ISO is locked on 100. The live feed on the screen seems to be fed by the AUTO MODE as changing the settings in PRO MODE does not affect the appearance of the image. Even though the live image on the screen looks correct....when a photo is taken it comes out very dark and the shutter speed setting then defaults to 1/6400 (which explains the dark image). We did all of the updates but nothing changed. Everything seems to perform flawlessly as long as he is in AUTO MODE but as soon as we switch back to PRO MODE the settings default to 1/6400 SS and the ISO is locked at 100.

Everything seems to perform flawlessly as long as he is in AUTO MODE but as soon as we switch back to PRO MODE the settings default to 1/6400 SS and the ISO is locked at 100.
Hey Shawnaroo, that's it right there.

Because I like to switch between Auto and Pro on any given flight, I gave up on Single, and keep it on 48k, which works the way it should when in Pro mode. I'm not exactly holding my breath for a fix due to our "obsolete" hardware.

- Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout