DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shooting video through a car window. How to reduce distortion?

Former Member

Reactions
Sometimes I shoot video or pictures from my car window, and as long as the window is down, there isnt distortion. If the window is up, I get glare, etc. I am not sure if its better to get right up next to the window, or shoot from a few inches or a foot away. Any thoughts? For this example, lets say the window is free from dirt and water.

Getting up close to the glass also works great if the window is dusty, spotted, or otherwise not completely clean. :)

It's true for almost all interference from the window. Getting close up means that there is a smaller portion of the window in the frame... so less "crap" to show up in the frame. It also allows the window and any debris (or glare) on the window to be completely out of focus which means that it is more difficult to see in the video/photo.

Two issues is 1) that it might be more difficult to hold the camera still when you are outreaching to hold it against the window and 2) that glare is glare. At least some of it will always show up. Personally, I'm to the point where any glare from a window that is in the shot is unacceptable (to me). So you see me driving down the road at 50mph holding a camera out of the window with one hand and driving with the other. Not the best thing to do.

Reactions: Former Member
It's true for almost all interference from the window. Getting close up means that there is a smaller portion of the window in the frame... so less "crap" to show up in the frame. It also allows the window and any debris (or glare) on the window to be completely out of focus which means that it is more difficult to see in the video/photo.

Two issues is 1) that it might be more difficult to hold the camera still when you are outreaching to hold it against the window and 2) that glare is glare. At least some of it will always show up. Personally, I'm to the point where any glare from a window that is in the shot is unacceptable (to me). So you see me driving down the road at 50mph holding a camera out of the window with one hand and driving with the other. Not the best thing to do.

Thanks for that. If the window was clean, and I held the camera an inch or two away, would I still get glare? Im gonna practice and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips!

One more thing, if I used a filter on the lens, or the window was tinted, would that help at all shooting from inside the car with the window up?

One more thing, if I used a filter on the lens, or the window was tinted, would that help at all shooting from inside the car with the window up?
A polarized filter should help. If the window was tinted or dirty you may need to use manual focus as auto focus may fixate on the window (unless you were very close to it). What camera/lens are you using?

A polarized filter should help. If the window was tinted or dirty you may need to use manual focus as auto focus may fixate on the window (unless you were very close to it). What camera/lens are you using?

All depends on the position of the sun to the camera/window. In my experience if the sun is hitting the window, there will be glare. You can get glare from the window tint and you will usually get it more so from a reflection off something (dash, camera itself, disco mirror ball mounted to the roof, etc.). Placing the lens almost against the window will cut down on the reflections off the things inside of the vehicle.

Edit: Whoops, quoted wrong post but all will see this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJHind