DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

should I get a dedicated mobile device?

If you have a unused iPhone, it’s a perfect candidate. I use my old 6s Plus - it’s big screen really helps and it doesn’t need cellular service.

I have a Mavic Air and used to use it with my iPhone 7. But as you said, after using 3 batteries also my iPhone battery was drained by 50% - could be critical when your phone is not fully charged or if you have "no phone" after flying with your drone. On top of that there were always some annyoing messages popping up and the worst thing that could happen is when someone called mid flight - especially during fpv flights! So I bought a used Sony Xperia XZ premium with 4k display - I do not even have a sim card installed, just use it with my drone. I also bought the Zeiss VR One plus headset and fpv flying is awesome with that setup - the 4k display quality is way better than iphone and also better than dji goggles! Long story, short answer, yes I would buy a dedicated phone or tablet for the drone.

I have a Mavic Air and used to use it with my iPhone 7. But as you said, after using 3 batteries also my iPhone battery was drained by 50% - could be critical when your phone is not fully charged or if you have "no phone" after flying with your drone. On top of that there were always some annyoing messages popping up and the worst thing that could happen is when someone called mid flight - especially during fpv flights! So I bought a used Sony Xperia XZ premium with 4k display - I do not even have a sim card installed, just use it with my drone. I also bought the Zeiss VR One plus headset and fpv flying is awesome with that setup - the 4k display quality is way better than iphone and also better than dji goggles! Long story, short answer, yes I would buy a dedicated phone or tablet for the drone.

Battery is a good point- my phone got the new battery service recall Apple did a while back. If using an older phone, its worth putting a new battery in it.

I’m not using the charge phone option on the remote, don’t want that to run down for sure!

I use my everyday I pad 10.5 Pro. Never any issues while flying...when the kids call (my phone it tethered to I pad). It appears that the cables are the reason for disconnect most of the time. When I 1st started flying it freaked me out when I lost connection. Now it is no big deal at all other than when I’m shooting video and lose that great shot.

I just don’t like flying with a phone because I like to see as much as I can on the screen. Just my opinion.

I have an iPad Mini 4 I fly with plus I use it in my truck for navigation. So I guess it's mostly a dedicated device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d